• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What amp did Jimmy Page use here?

Bob Pollock

Altes Holz
Gold Supporting Member
I think I see a Marshall and a Rickenbacker on his side. Odd placement, out front like FOH mains.

jpage

Not sure how on earth you like that tone, but diff'rent strokes, right? That's a Arbiter Power 100 played after a late night of boozin and whorin....

gtwannabe

Definitely different strokes for different folks, but I think that tone sounds terrible - and I'm a pretty big Zepp/Page fan. No disrespect to the OP, just my $0.02.

pima1234

Horrendous guitar sound. Please remove that from my memory!

Maybe it's just bad audio or something.

StompBoxBlues

Something to right there, and I suspect it isn't the amp alone were hearing. In the beginning there is something that sounds like a phaser or flanger, and also it sounds like bad mixing to me, as it changes in a way the amp probably wouldn't. At the start, terrible too hot signal, there is a not exactly ghost note, but suddenly one very clear note in the intro, levels change quite a bit throughout.

I'm thinking we aren't just hearing the amp.

FXPedal.com

Something to right there, and I suspect it isn't the amp alone were hearing. In the beginning there is something that sounds like a phaser or flanger, and also it sounds like bad mixing to me, as it changes in a way the amp probably wouldn't. At the start, terrible too hot signal, there is a not exactly ghost note, but suddenly one very clear note in the intro, levels change quite a bit throughout.

I'm thinking we aren't just hearing the amp.
I agree, it sounds like the guitar mic pre was distorting. The rest of the band is very clear but the guitar is over-modulated in a way that is reminiscent of a recording issue. It doesn't sound like tape distortion as it's not compressed enough. Great performance all the same.

Hound Dog61

Not sure how on earth you like that tone, but diff'rent strokes, right? That's a Arbiter Power 100 played after a late night of boozin and whorin....
That is weird, my amps usually sound the best after a night of boozin and whorin.

Papanate

As noted the one amp is an Arbiter 100 - and it looks to be sitting on
A WEM Ultimus cab or a Transonic. The Badge logo upper left is reminiscent
of a WEM cab.

908SSP

I think I see a Marshall and a Rickenbacker on his side. Odd placement, out front like FOH mains.

That was not unusually at all back in the late 60s early 70s when the Guitar amp is what you heard and PAs were barely able to handle vocals.

It's Time!

That sounds like it was recorded way too hot.

I'm sure Page's guitar tone was much better at the show.

buzzp

That sounds like it was recorded way too hot.

I'm sure Page's guitar tone was much better at the show.

I'm going to have to go with this. I believe the Arbiter is what much of LZI and LZII were recorded on, as well as his Rickenbacker Transonic or whatever that crazy amp was.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I would say a super lead. Don't forget he used hiwatts live from 69 to 71 or 72 ish also

Trending Topics

Top Bottom