What amp do you miss the most?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phydeaux, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Member

For me it's an early seventies SF Deluxe Reverb. I picked it up from a friend's father for a mere $150. Unfortunately it was 1989, the band I was in was covering the chessy pop/metal of the day and nothing short of a JCM800 would do. When I moved back across the country a couple of years later, I needed to save space and donated it to my room mate. :Spank

Looking back, it's the single biggest "gear related" mistake I ever made. I've gone through about 20 amps since then, and haven't found anything that comes remotely close to the tone of that Deluxe, which I can only dsescribe as an absolutely glorious 3 dimensional sparkle. Shoot me.. please...

2. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Marshall SLP with a Cameron 2 channel High Gain Jose/Clean.......DAN!!!!! I WANT THAT AMP BACK DAMMIT!!!!! lol! ;)

3. Dave

Dave Member

My Clark Beaufort. I recently sold it because I needed the money to buy another amp, among other things. It wasn't the most useful amp for me, but I sure did love it. Probably the best looking amp I've ever seen as well.

4. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I had a Bandmaster head given to me free once. I think it was an early Silverface. It supposedly had a blown transformer, but my tech said it just needed new tubes.

I spent $200 getting it retubed, recapped, and all around fixed up (about what the amp was worth at the time). It sounded great! Even the tech really loved it. I ended up selling it back to the guy who gave it to, for only the costs of the repairs. He was happy!

How about the amp you miss the least? Excepting a little Squier practice amp, my first real amp was a brand spankin' new JCM 900 100 Watt head! Yowza! Talk about overkill!

I didn't even have a cab to plug it into when I bought it. I eventually got a 212 Crate combo amp and used that as a cab. I almost blew it up (the speakers) one day in practice! Fortunately, a buddy of mine gigged in bigger places and was able to get some steady use out of the amp before I sold it. There have been a couple more mistakes after that, not really bad amps, just way overpowered for what I need.

Years later, I now have a Blues Jr. and Champ 600 and am GASing for a Deluxe Reverb. I finally learned that I don't need more than about 20 good watts!

5. HHB

HHB Member

my very first one, a blackface super reverb

6. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My Concorde.

8. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Top Hat Ambassador 35

9. bhap2

bhap2 Member

My 65 blackface Deluxe

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

83 Marshall JCM 800 50 watt,
    65 Twin Reverb with JBL's
    65 Supro Big Star

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Same here.

I had a NMV JCM 800 model 1959 full stack that sounded incredible above 6, but my ears rang afterwards everytime I played it so I sold it to save my hearing. I have not yet recaptured that glorious sound six years later.

My second most missed amp. I sold it to the other guitar player in my group so at least it's still in the family.

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Don't laugh, ok go ahead and laugh...

I kinda miss my ADA MP-1 rack preamp. Not so much for the high gain it's known for but I could dial in a pretty cool lead tone, mid gain with just a pinch of the built in chorus. It sounded great with a Tele or a Les Paul.

13. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

My '72 Marshall Super Lead & 2 matching 4x12 cabs (with original covers) that I sold back in the early 80's for $875! I can't even stand to think about it. :jo

14. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Sold my Clark Beaufort, was the fifth one made, missed it so much had to buy another.

15. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

My 66 Super Reverb!!! I am still kicking myself in the @#$ for selling that!!!:jo:jo:jo:(:(:NUTS:NUTS:NUTS

16. Rock72

Rock72 Member

My Budda Superdrive II 30w 2x12 combo.... fortunately the acquisition of a BJF dyna red distortion has made the 'loss' easier on me :D

17. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

Nowhere near the status of the other amps mentioned in this thread, but I miss my Peavey Classic 50 head. Real workhorse amp.

18. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Brownface Bassman head. Traded a Kustom 100W bass head for it - even - in 1971. Played it through a 4x12 cab I buillt. Had it until 1976. It was dead original and perfectly reliable. I never had to change a tube (or anything else) in it. Sounded wonderful cranked, would clean up very well just by backing off the guitar volume. Guitar was a symmetric-headstock Epiphone Coronet with 2 P90s. The only stomp I used was a CryBaby wah. Classic rig. It was eventually too big and too loud for the gigs I was doing, and I couldn't keep too much redundant gear around. Still miss it, though.

19. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

My first Bogner Shiva combo. That thing just had the mojo.

20. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

The only amp I've ever really missed was my Soldano HR 50+. I know they arent the finest sounding amp in the world, but it would have sat perfectly in the rig that i have now.