• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What amp does this sound like to you?

JKW

Here's a song by a band that I know used a JCM 800 for a long time, but also a 900 and a Plexi at some point, and may have used other stuff in the studio. Sounds like an 800 to me but I may be wrong.

Phletch

Who knows? Given that it's a studio recording it could be just about anything really. With mic placement, mic type(s), filtering, EQ, etc. at the board, you could probably get the same thing "on tape" with a dozen different amps or amp-pedal combinations. It might not sound anything like that, though, sitting in the same room and listening live. The studio ain't the real world, or, at the very least, it's an alternate universe.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like an old Silvertone or Supro.

But I don't know anything about the classic amp sounds, so please ignore my opinion. Just my gut level initial reaction before I read your post mentioning the Marshalls. Just sounds more buzzy to me than those.

Sounds like something modern w. low resonance to my ears. :S Then there's so much going on and likely two amps are in action, one seemingly cleaner than the other.

JMPs and JCMs sound much alike, so could be either.

JonnyQ

I'm going agree with @KiwiJoe as the "who knows/probably a few things explanation"

but I will also venture my own speculation...almost certainly NOT supro IMO...seems JCM 800 or hot rod Plexi-ish

Tones remind me of old Husker Du

And round 2:30 mark it sounds like a Boogie
Cool song BTW
:aok

M

Member 50900

No idea on the amp but loving the sound. Sounds reminiscent of Fugazi also.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, I listened again, this time through the whole song, and I take back my previous post. Definitely get the Marshall territory now.

AXEnGEAR4J

tough because you don't know the effects, settings, mix etc...
I concur with 800. they just get more ice pick sounding from pelixi (actual), MV years to 800, 900...

Here's a song by a band that I know used a JCM 800 for a long time, but also a 900 and a Plexi at some point, and may have used other stuff in the studio. Sounds like an 800 to me but I may be wrong.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom