What amp fits this criteria...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fzkicksbuttock, Oct 29, 2005.

1. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Alright, I need a new amp. Right now, I have a THD Univalve, and it's just not cutting it.

I'm looking for a fendery/"clean" amp, preferably a combo, with 3 band EQ controls and low wattage. It also needs to be a great pedal-whore.
    :p

Tone I'm looking for is Trey Anasasio from Phish, basically a compressed, mid-rangey sound with gobs of sustain and that "liquid" sound.

Hook a brother up.

Oh yeah, the cheaper the better.

Right now, I'm thinking maybe an Allen amp, a Victoria, a Fargen (blackbird), or maybe just a Fender DRRI.

While you're at it, suggest some high-quality preamp and power tubes to change out in my Univalve to acheive this sound. Right now, I have a 6L6 and some misc/unknown preamp tubes in it.

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Tak a look at Alessandro Amps.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Don't laugh here,

but for the money..check out this head, the matching cab is (V212t) it HAS to go with the head....a matched pair.
    For the money , you won't be disapointed.
    I was concerned about the name as well, but boy do you get a whallop for the money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/487827/

I only wanted to post because you said the cheaper the better.

NOW, go read the reviews at harmony central.
    Good luck, Mass

4. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

My amp,blackface 65 deluxe modded by Treys tech. Celestion blues are also part the equation.Clips are on page three of the amps forum, thread is called Deluxe reverb clips, another alternative is the Tone King meteor 2, Get them 6v6's cooking!:dude

5. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

I dunno but perhaps a Dream Reverb by BJ amplifiers will fit the bill...

You can check it out here... www.bjamplifiers.com.au

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Ziggy, checked out the B.J. site,they sound pretty cool, do you own one or have you heard one?Thanks.

7. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

I've never had a chance to play one but they came highly recommended by some local gear heads as well as highly regarded amp builders. Aussie band powderfinger use BJ amps.

BJ amps are in Brisbane, Australia so all the prices are Australian Dollars. His handwired amps cost less than what we pay for most marshall valve amps here in australia.

8. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Damn, how did you work that deal out? Care to share any other specs on your amp?

9. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

No laughing here, Mass. In the back of my mind, I've been considering the Peavey Classics and these Crates. 30 watts is on the loud side, though. I'd snag a used DRRI in a heartbeat, but I don't like the limited eq options.

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Until a month ago, I wouldn't have believed I could be a Crate fan. Bought myself a V32 Palomino and honestly, I'm shocked at just how great it sounds!

The clean has that sweet chimey Vox AC-30 tone. The overdrive sounds like a sweet vintage Marshall (while it sounds like I'm BSing you, you'll just have to play one yourself to understand what I'm saying). With a clean boost pedal you'll get into singing lead territory, no problem.

The best part is that the amp is only 30 watts, so getting power tube breakup can be done without killing your ears or your familys. If you've got around $500 to shell out, you'll get an amp that rivals most boutique amps I've played. I'm absolutely floored at the quality of it and I've turned many heads with it :dude

11. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I played some shows in VT and met and befriended a tech that works with Trey, He set the amp up so that it now has a lead channel and a middle control where on the vibrato input side of the amp was,disabled the vibrato channel which gives the circuit more gain. The clean side of the amp stys the same, I ab both inputs so that it is like a channel switcher. Did you check out the clips?

12. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey guys,

How are you.
    I agree about the new crates. The sound is amazing and I NEVER thought I would ever say that either.
    By the way, I live in Massachusetts, and this summer when John Mayer was touring around and playing here...he used a New Crate V30 with the matching V212T cab (it has to go with it)
    The crate V30 and matching V212T cab are very much a massive vox sounding combo.
    I don't care what anyone says, yes the real Voxes are worth a ton, and they have better componets, but MAN are you going to be surprised if you have ever played a Vox AC 30 Top Boost, and then a/b it with the V30. For the money, not bad at all!
    It is a cathode biasing, class A "circut" EL84 driven amp.
    If you are fimiliar with these, you know the sound.
    I just suggested it because of the price tag that you were shooting for.
    Take care, Mass