What amp for modern country clean & smooth OD / Crunch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I play mostly modern country & looking for an amp that I can get that Brent Mason, modern country clean tone...

But I also want a 2nd or 3rd channel that can get me everything from smooth OD to Marshall JCM800/900 crunch..

Any suggestions on what will straddle this fence & fully deliver?

Any thoughts towards Bogner Shiva, Rivera's, or Lonestar for this application? Others??

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I play in a very rockin modern country band and gigged for 2 years with a Mesa Lonestar Classic (blows the Special away IMHO - 6L6s are SO much warmer and fatter) I am using a GSP1101 right now just because I am singing much more and need the quick-change flexibility.

I used these pedals with it and it was GREAT:

Tone Press Comp
    BB Preamp (for a nice Marsh-style crunch rhythm)
    Direct Drive (for smooth lower gain leads)
    Lonestar Drive (for rippin' leads - NOT too dark as many say)
    Echo Park & Verbzilla in loop.

Great tone everytime.

3. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Oh!.. Any thoughts on Budda's? I havent been able to try one.. but they kinda sound like they may fit?

4. frank62

frank62 Member

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I also have a PTP Budda Superdrive 18 that sounds incredible. I needed a bit more headroom for my particular application though as we play pretty loud on stage. GREAT amps though. I gigged in an Indi-rock type band and used 2 Budda 212 Twinmasters for an AC30 on steroids tone that KILLED!!

6. Wagster

Wagster Member

If money is not a problem give the Suhr OD 100/50 and the Bogner Ecstasy a listen.Also the Egnater Tour Master looks interesting.Do you have a problem with running a 2 amp rig?Brent's tone starts with a BF Fender as the starting point.That might be another alternative worth looking into.

7. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Brent is endorsing the Genz-Benz Black Pearl. It's only one channel, but has a footswitchable boost. You can get clean and slightly dirty, or slightly dirty and dirtier, but you can't get clean and truly dirty. The amp overdrive sounds great, but you may still want to add a pedal or two for flexibility. It's a great sounding 4 EL84 amp. Lots of good comments on a TGP search.

John

8. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

For sure dont want to run two amps... just due to sheer hassle of carrying two

9. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Before I started using the AxeFX, I had really good luck with a ToneKing... I was playing a Comet 40A, but it's similar enough to the current Meteors... 4 6V6s, and could get a pretty 'twin-ish' clean Fender thing, and also could cut 2 tubes out, and climb right into pushed tweed territory on the lead channel. Took pedals very well, also. The 1x12 version I used was PLENTY loud, and light (easy to drag around).

Of course now, with the AxeFX, I've got Blackface, Tweed, Vox, Marshall, and variations available, which I love even more.

10. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

My Custom By Cougar "Mystic Blue Star" ODS inspired amp is great with a Tele for some chimey cleans and smooth powerful OD sounds from super clean to Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton tones to Robben Fordish smooth just by guitar tone volume controls and using build in OD and Boost circuits.

11. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Dumble HRM inspired circuit.
    Check out the Carol-Ann OD-2.
    I'm not a country player but,I play a Tele.:D
    The OD-2 has an incredible clean channel with a seperate EQ.
    There is a shift switch on the clean channel that is intended for just what you ask.
    With the shift on and setting the EQ with boosted(3/4 up)mids and bass at half or a bit more there is a killer modern countryish clean tone.
    With the shift off and the mids scooped some convincing Tweed like cleans can be had.
    Then there is the heavenly OD.Can go from mild smooth to heavy gain that is still smooth.
    Then there is a footswitchable mid boost for either channel.
    Very flexable and versitile amp.
    Check out the clips on Alan's myspace and his web site.
    http://www.myspace.com/carolanncustomamplifiers

http://www.carolannamps.com/

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Bogner Shiva EL34 112 combo...you're done.
    Tone King Meteor/Imperial/Comet series...you're also done.
    Matchless...with pedals. I like the Chieftain, and the C30 series. DONE.
    I have a most excellent Heritage Patriot 212 combo...beautiful take on a Fender BF Pro Reverb. DONE.

Lotsa choices...so little time. :D

Good luck,

S.
    j