• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What amp for something smaller than a Fender Deluxe Reverb?

squeally dan

For my wedding band and other gigs I’m always mic’ed and using monitors. I’m pretty happy with my 71 silver face deluxe reverb but I rarely get the volume above 2. I’m thinking something lighter with a little less juice might be cool.

What would my best options be? I think a Princeton Would be cool. I typically like 12’ speakers so that’s the only thing about a Princeton that scares me. I had a Z Carmen Ghia years ago that seemed to stay clean enough. Whatcha got?

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
Carr Sportsman is a great option in the Princeton style of amp.

Picked one up used locally on a whim because I’d always been interested in checking one out. Swapped the speaker to a WGS G12C/S and now I’m considering selling my Two-Rock because I like the tone I’m getting from the Carr so much.

zenas

If you're only getting the DR to 2, for one thing look into a less sensitive speaker and don't go hog wild on a 12" if you get a PR, you'll just make that loud end up at 2.25. (although PRs do sound better turned way down)
Two things I have little use for, overly sensitive speakers and people. :)

easyed

Gold Supporting Member
For a significant volume drop, I'd suggest the Allen Chihuahua. It's a single-ended Class A amp with 6 Watts from a 6V6 or 10 Watts from a 6l6. http://www.allenamps.com/chihuahua.html.

If it were mine to do, I would assemble the kit, but you can get them handwired and signed by Dave Allen. My "final" amp is an Allen Sweet Spot that I assembled 10 years ago - It's based on a Princeton Reverb, but has considerably more muscle.

Used available for under $1K. Available as head or combo with 8", 10", or 12" speakers.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Well, it ain't no Princeton but take a look at a Swart Atomic Space Tone. Don't really need the "Pro" version, just a regular AST and mic it. Maybe used if you can find one. Killer reverb and vibrato. Portable. Check one out.
what he said, also, goodsell valpreaux. cathode bias no nfb goodness.

SoPhx

I just checked prices on used PR RIs---around 7-8 bills. You can get a really nice YGM 3 or a 60s Gemini/Reverbrocket for the same money. Much better...dare to be different.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Well, it ain't no Princeton but take a look at a Swart Atomic Space Tone. Don't really need the "Pro" version, just a regular AST and mic it. Maybe used if you can find one. Killer reverb and vibrato. Portable. Check one out.
Was going to say AST Pro, the deeper cab seems worth it especially for a gigger. :YinYang Very impressed with mine w Celestion Creamback, a good gig or home amp.

Last edited:

SoPhx

Late 60s/early 70s Traynor YGM 3---18-20 watts from 2xEL84, 1x12" sealed back combo, 'verb and trem, excellent tag board construction with good components, solid wood cab. Very nice amps that do a great clean and Marshall-ish breakup when pushed.

Last edited:

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I've gigged vintage Princetons, reverb and NR, for a long time with good results. I have an AC10 and it doesn't keep up. I have a 5F10 clone with a 12 and it works nicely as well. I've not gigged a larger amp in a long time.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
One of my favorite amps I’ve ever owned and my current “what do I have to sell to get another one?” obsession hahaha.... FYI I ‘pro’d’ mine and just cut out a new rear panel, shot it flat black and went. Magic amp.

Trending Topics