What amp has the vintage Fender Twin tone... but w/Master Volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tedjac, Feb 19, 2006.

1. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Just curious if these is an amp out there that has that sparkle and clarity, but with a master volume control that will allow low volume playing. I'm assuming that my soon to arrive Fuchs will probably not do that Fender sparkle thing very well. I don't realy need a Marshall grind sound... but I would like an amp that will do a low volume Twin tone. Do I even need a Master Volume on an amp like this... or is it possible to get that sparkle with just the normal volume control? It's been a really long time since I played a non-Master Control amp...

Any one with a Peters Dual Channel Amp... would his clean channel and modern overdrive come close to giving me both the Fender clean and the Marshall grind??

Thanks

2. MVrider

MVrider Member

Why don't you just get a Weber MASS or some kind of an attenuator. Then you've GOT a Fender Twin, not something that's LIKE a Fender Twin. Probably a WHOLE lot cheaper, too.

3. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

The first thing I'd recommend is waiting for the Fuchs to show up, then try it. :) As for the distortion sound, if you really don't need it then maybe you should consider using a pedal for the times you want to "mess around with distortion". A Marshall Jackhammer pedal might be nice for that, or perhaps the Digitech Bad Monkey. It couldn't hurt to try them.

In any case, my designs aren't meant to be replicas of other amps, so I can't promise that you'd get the exact "Marshally" or "Fendery" sound you're after with them.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Sooner or later someone's gonna complain about me suggesting Gries. Sorry, I don't have endless cash for umpteen amps and the Gries 35 is the only amp I own.

I've had my share of Fenders and this amp kicks all their asses. No hiss, no buzz, whisper quiet compared to amps with the "F" word on the front.

I have the model 35. Yes, it has a master. I've had it since October (?) and still haven't found a need for distortion pedals. The volume control on my guiatrs does it all for me with this amp and the thing was only $1499! Try finding a new Carr, which are very nice, for that money.

Check out www.griesamps.com

Dave is great to work with and you'll have a new amp in a couple weeks.

Thanks...

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Oh, yeah. I have to agree with James. If you've already ordered a Fuchs, try it out before making further decisions. I've read nothing but good reviews here about them.

Take Care.......

6. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Oh... don't get me wrong... I'm pretty sure I'm gonna absolutely love the Fuchs. It is the "Dumble" I can somewhat afford. And it will get a workout in the clean realm, but pretty much everyone who has an ODS has them for the "Dumble" tones and not so much for the "Fendery" tones. I may very well be content with the cleans of the Fuchs when it gets here and I get a chance to play with it. I just like to learn and these boards are a great resource. Where else can you get several of the actual builders to chime in a comment about what they build and where their products fit into the tone spectrum?

James... I'm not sure I want the exact replicas of anythiing. And I may not want another amp at all. But I eventually will want to play around with some amps that offer tonal qualities outside of the Fuchs tonal spectrum. If I want a super clean sparkle channel and a sort of gritty British sound channel... I'd guess your Dual Channel would be among my top choices... partly because you seem willing and able to create an amp that will do many different and distinct tonal characters.

Thanks for the comments...
    Ted

7. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

No problem Ted, and thanks for considering my amps. Fairly soon my range of preamps will be expanding too, so even though I won't offer a "clone" of anything I will have a fair number of designs to choose from to help people get the general vibe they're after in any case.

8. amc

amc Member

Allen Tonesaver
    It's exactly what you describe

9. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I've had one for a few months and just got it back with a retubing and biasing. It is an early model with just an off/on raw control, and came with Weber Californias which I do not like due to a very harsh high end. I'm going to try it with Weber 12F150's next, since I already have one. I'd prefer the sound I get from the 12A150 in my Allen Old Flame 1x12, but would rather not invest in two of these at $150+ until I try the ceramics. What speakers do you have? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Never heard of them. What's the controversy?

11. Shea

Shea Member

Take a mid-70s, master volume Twin Reverb (not ultralinear), blackface it, and replace the stock MV with a post-pi mv. That's close.

Shea

12. stu42

stu42 Member

The clean preamp will definitely do a nice sparkley, glassy kind of thing on the pure clean side...and will also transition to low to medium-low bluesy gain as well. I love that that preamp can do both those things. In fact, I like to set it up so that lighter picking yeilds a very pure clean tone but when picking harder you can get some nice low-gain overdrive.

You wouldn't need to get the Modern overdrive preamp to get Marshally grind. In fact, depending on how much distortion you consider to be enough (JCM800+ level vs SLO level) I would say you would likely be happy with a COD or LOD channel for the higher-gain stuff. That said, he does have a few variations on the LOD channel that change the characteristics a bit. Not sure about the variations on the COD preamp.

The MHG channel seriously has a lot of saturation and a more evil sounding nature - even though it is still nice and wam, thick and friendly to the touch.

Another thing about the Peters amps is that he has that Modern/Vintage switch on the back. In checking that out in conjunction with the clean preamp on my amp with the preamp on about 1:00 o'clock, setting the amp on Vintage mode actually gives it a bit more of a Tweed kind of feel (more sag, a slightly darker kind of tone and a bit grindier / less glassy) compared to the Modern setting which gives you more of a solid response, slightly more clarity or articulation and sparklier breakup.

This amp really covers all the stuff I need - beautiful sparkly and/or warm cleans that transition to nice low-gain bluesy breakup on the clean channel, howling leads on the LOD channel that clean up nicely to a cool indie kind of breakup when you turn the guitar volume down. Amazing! I couldn't be happier!

13. radialaced

radialaced Member

14. radialaced

radialaced Member

Wait a minute....your waiting on a Fuchs? Just be patient my son, you will love the Fuchs. :D

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Shea, I don't know much about Fenders. How can you tell whether a Silverface twin is NOT Ultralinear????

Is it recognizable by just looking at the thing?

Cheers, Pete.

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hi DaddyO,

I guess I need to check back in more often. There's really no controversy with Gries Amps. Dave makes great amps at real reasonable prices. It's just that I've mentioned them on several threads and didn't want people to get sick of hearing about them from me.

If you're looking for BF tone from an amp that isn't so powerful it'll take your head off, check 'em out.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

A MV on a vintage fender amp does not really achieve anything. They are very low gain amps, so turning the MV down does not really do anything.. Just use the Volume control on a vintage Fender, and turn the amp down. They sound great at all volumes.

18. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I set it up with the Weber 12F150's today, and it's just right. The MV, along with the usual Allen EQ, is very useful. The raw control is only on/off with no grdations, so it will not be used much. Otherwise, it's got all the sparkle and clarity you could want, and more headroom than most large venues will demand. Better than my former '66 BFTR.