What Amp Is Leslie West Using Here?

Brad8008135

That was recorded in 1988, so I'll guess and say a rented Kitty Hawk.

kittyhawk.jpg

Last edited:

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
That was recorded in 1988, so I'll guess and say a rented Kitty Hawk.

kittyhawk.jpg

I saw an interview a few years ago and Reb Beach joked that they used to call them Sh*tty Hawk.....said they were almost completely unreliable and were always breaking down.

bob-i

West could blow up any amp he was given. He used the Sunns because they were given to him but he said their rhythm tones were pretty bad. He went to Stramps because when he backed off the volume they had a great rhythm tone, but he'd crank them night after night and blow them up. He tried marshalls, blew them up, kitty hawk, blew them up...

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
Kitty Hawk pretty much went out of business because the amps would not survive the road.
I saw him live 2x back in the 70s. Both times Sunn amps. To my knowledge Sunn tube amps of that period were very reliable. They sure were built well inside and the cabs were top notch.

I saw an interview a few years ago and Reb Beach joked that they used to call them Sh*tty Hawk.....said they were almost completely unreliable and were always breaking down.

I have a Kitty Hawk and it's by far my most unreliable amp. Even after getting it repaired it needs to be repaired more in other ways.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom