• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

what amp is perfect for me? need mesa/marshall tones with pedals

gishlullmoon

i'm using pedals trying to capture smashing pumpkins tone like the big muff marshall sound, and the mesa boogie rectifier tones of nu metal/punk bands......with the throttle box pedal

what im looking at is the marshall dsl15h

it has 6v6 tubes in it which works for the mesa tone but smashing pumpkins used kt88s

anyone recommend an amp with kt88s that won't blow up the world?

the dsl15h i think is the closest thing for both worlds..... but id figure id get it and then maybe something down the road that has kt88s if you guys can recommend something.

Gridlock

A Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 amp if you can find one.
A great amp. Rated 50 watts but actually around 35 watts.

Last edited:

jpage

I don't think trying to match the tube type is necessarily the best way to go about replicating that tone. Fuzz is a big part of that sound as well

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think trying to match the tube type is necessarily the best way to go about replicating that tone. Fuzz is a big part of that sound as well
Absolutely agree, two amps using the same tube types can still have very different sounds.

yell03

i'm using pedals trying to capture smashing pumpkins tone like the big muff marshall sound, and the mesa boogie rectifier tones of nu metal/punk bands......with the throttle box pedal

what im looking at is the marshall dsl15h

it has 6v6 tubes in it which works for the mesa tone but smashing pumpkins used kt88s

anyone recommend an amp with kt88s that won't blow up the world?

the dsl15h i think is the closest thing for both worlds..... but id figure id get it and then maybe something down the road that has kt88s if you guys can recommend something.
The Marshall DSL15C is nice, I have one, but the DSL40C is much better for $100 more.
It gives you 4 channels vs 2 for the DSL15. Tecnically gain stages, but you get the idea.
I would grab the 40C with upgraded Creamback speaker from Sweetwater, I did this also.
Both amps love pedals.

gishlullmoon

i've been looking at the vintage modern and the pro guitar shop review it sounds great but i still need to know if it takes pedals well like the big muff, read one review online and the first one i read it said it doesn't take pedals good. then i read the next one and said when set totally clean its great. what do you guys think about it takin pedals? I'm using skreddy pedals (skreddypedals.com pedals- mayo + zero)

for the mesa sound i don't really know which way to go i was thinking about the mini rectifier but it has el34s and they are not very good... i don't need one amp that does both marshall and mesa two different amps are fine. so i'm using a mesa boogie throttle box for mesa sounds but don't really know what 6l6 tube amp to accompany it with. also i need the amps to be able to be at basement level i had the triple rectifier and it was too loud. (it was my first real amp decision when i didn't know what i was doing) the vintage modern is 50 watts the T. rectifier was 150 so i think 50 watt would be decent???

im diggin the deep mode on the dsl but after seeing the mid boost on the vintage modern im kinda sold onm the v. modern.

guitarman3001

i've been looking at the vintage modern and the pro guitar shop review it sounds great but i still need to know if it takes pedals well like the big muff, read one review online and the first one i read it said it doesn't take pedals good. then i read the next one and said when set totally clean its great. what do you guys think about it takin pedals? I'm using skreddy pedals (skreddypedals.com pedals- mayo + zero)

for the mesa sound i don't really know which way to go i was thinking about the mini rectifier but it has el34s and they are not very good... i don't need one amp that does both marshall and mesa two different amps are fine. so i'm using a mesa boogie throttle box for mesa sounds but don't really know what 6l6 tube amp to accompany it with. also i need the amps to be able to be at basement level i had the triple rectifier and it was too loud. (it was my first real amp decision when i didn't know what i was doing) the vintage modern is 50 watts the T. rectifier was 150 so i think 50 watt would be decent???

im diggin the deep mode on the dsl but after seeing the mid boost on the vintage modern im kinda sold onm the v. modern.
Why do you say the Mini Recs aren't very good? They are awesome amps. Judge an amp by how it sounds and plays, not by what tubes are in it. If you want both Mesa and Marshall sounds, I'd recommend getting a Mini Rec or Rectoverb 25 and then a Marshall in a box pedal. Best of both worlds. I have a ROV25 and use its dirt channel for Mesa dirt and the clean channel with an Xotic SL for Marshall tones. But....lately I'm finding that the Mesa's dirt channel covers even the Marshall inspired stuff so I've taken the SL off my board.

BTW, I also have a Marshall DSL40C and that's also a great amp. But I find it easier to get Marshall tones using a MIAB pedal into my Mesa than getting Mesa tones out of the Marshall.

gishlullmoon

Why do you say the Mini Recs aren't very good? They are awesome amps. Judge an amp by how it sounds and plays, not by what tubes are in it. If you want both Mesa and Marshall sounds, I'd recommend getting a Mini Rec or Rectoverb 25 and then a Marshall in a box pedal. Best of both worlds. I have a ROV25 and use its dirt channel for Mesa dirt and the clean channel with an Xotic SL for Marshall tones. But....lately I'm finding that the Mesa's dirt channel covers even the Marshall inspired stuff so I've taken the SL off my board.

BTW, I also have a Marshall DSL40C and that's also a great amp. But I find it easier to get Marshall tones using a MIAB pedal into my Mesa than getting Mesa tones out of the Marshall.

maybe i should look into a mini rec but its just i've heard by alot of reviews they aren't very good.....but its like you said you would have to play one.
i need to play one to judge for myself.....

gishlullmoon

i just looked up the mini rec its not as bad on the good clips......looks like it is worth buying! But i need to know are you force to play thorugh the mini rec cab??? or can you plug the mini rec into a marshall 4x12? i also need to buy a marshall cab with v30s that i would wanna use the mini rec with. i still have a mesa 4x12 triple rec cab just sitting here in my basement.

guitarman3001

maybe i should look into a mini rec but its just i've heard by alot of reviews they aren't very good.....but its like you said you would have to play one.
i need to play one to judge for myself.....
I've seen, read, and heard only good things about the Mini Rec and Rectoverb 25. As with any amp, there will be people who don't like one amp or another for whatever reason, but by and large the reviews for the Mini Rec and ROV25 are excellent.

guitarman3001

i just looked up the mini rec its not as bad on the good clips......looks like it is worth buying! But i need to know are you force to play thorugh the mini rec cab??? or can you plug the mini rec into a marshall 4x12? i also need to buy a marshall cab with v30s that i would wanna use the mini rec with. i still have a mesa 4x12 triple rec cab just sitting here in my basement.
You can use the Mini Rec with whatever cab you want. The Mini Rec and Rectoverb 25 are the exact same amp, the only difference being the ROV25 has reverb. I have a ROV 25 combo and I use it with additional external cabs all the time. I've used it with a couple of Mesa 1x12s and a Marshall 4x10 and a Mesa Mini Rec 1x12 cab. It sounds great through all of them.

I expect it'll sound awesome through your Mesa 4x12 or a Marshall 4x12.

gishlullmoon

You can use the Mini Rec with whatever cab you want. The Mini Rec and Rectoverb 25 are the exact same amp, the only difference being the ROV25 has reverb. I have a ROV 25 combo and I use it with additional external cabs all the time. I've used it with a couple of Mesa 1x12s and a Marshall 4x10 and a Mesa Mini Rec 1x12 cab. It sounds great through all of them.

I expect it'll sound awesome through your Mesa 4x12 or a Marshall 4x12.
I really looked at demos a few years back and they weren't any good, but these demos i just looked at sound great.
so, i need to go to the store. mesa is the best!

guitarman3001

I really looked at demos a few years back and they weren't any good, but these demos i just looked at sound great.
so, i need to go to the store. mesa is the best!

If you want built in reverb, check out the Rectoverb 25. It's available as a head or a combo.

gishlullmoon

yeah, but I'm looking for something just for a basement setting...... which makes me cautious of buy the vintage modern Marshall head..... i had a 1984 jcm 800 combo head once but i barely turned it up and it took my head off and out the window

gishlullmoon

do you guys think a vintage modern 50 watt would be ok at basement level??? or should i just go with the dsl15h......i really like the 50 watt vm sounds better more like pumpkins.

Ken Whisler

If in your shoes, I'd try to find a 50 watt JCM900 combo from the 90's and put a Big Muff in front of it. The 900's are friendlier at low volumes than the 800's but still sound good when turned up. They have half power switches on the back.

My experience is the 800's sound better, but the 900's are more practical and still sound pretty doggone good. You can get a 50 watt JCM900 half stack to sound good at bedroom volumes.

guitarman3001

do you guys think a vintage modern 50 watt would be ok at basement level??? or should i just go with the dsl15h......i really like the 50 watt vm sounds better more like pumpkins.
If you're looking at a DSL15, get the DSL40 instead. It's a combo but you can run it into an external cab either with or without the internal speaker and it has a lot of advantages over the DSL15.

Trending Topics