What amp is simular to a Fender Tweed Deluxe sound??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wyldesigns, Jun 1, 2008.

1. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

I played a the Pod 2.0 on the Small Tweed setting and i got a very good drive sound i'm happy with!!

Do they still make something like the Tweed Deluxe?

(Am I crazy for liking this amp for rock more than a Marshall JTM45 I played...??)

2. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

Once you try a real one, the POD will (and should) be in the trash. The 2 top tweed Deluxe clones are Clark and Richter. There are other clones, I have tried most of them. A real vintage (1955-1960) Fender 5E3 tweed Deluxe will run between $1500 and $3000. A good clone can be had for around $1000, plus or minus a couple hundred bucks. The Clark Beaufort is the closest to the real thing, in my opinion. As for the POD, it's the old story, simulator, solid state, blah blah, blah, to get THE sound, you need a real TUBE 5E3 circuit, NO effects needed. It's the spiciest tone your ears will ever behold. Jump the channels for maximum boner.

3. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

With you all the way man!! I haven't had a ss amp or modeller in years, so I no the deal... But I wasforced to use a Pod 2.0 into a JBL EON for a church service last night.

We did acouple of rock songs and I had to create a patch for it. After going through all the 'marshall' models I thought I would use (i've played a bunch of real marshalls before) I wasn't satisfied, then I tried the Small Tweed setting and was really impressed!!

I know the 'real-deal' will sound and react different but if it has that tonal character,I'm gonna love it!!!!

4. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

By the way, Fender (always first in the 50's and 60's, always last in the modern era),
    finally came out with a tweed Deluxe reissue a couple years ago. The amp is OK, but the price is insane. They want $1900 for a new one. Holy batshit, for 19 hundred smackers, you can buy a REAL one. If you wanna pay an extra 900 dollars for the FENDER logo, be my guest.:horse

5. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

get a clark beaufort special. they run around 800 or so, and you will stop shopping for amps after that. You will probably want to use the pod as a frisbee or something after hearing a clark 5e3 cranked up!

6. go7

go7 Member

A 5E3 is simply "a beautiful thing".

7. fish78

fish78 Member

The 5E3 is possibly the most cloned Fender circuit.

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

So many 5E3's ! amazing amps.. Tone Tone Tone..

9. fish78

fish78 Member

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I don't agree with the Clark and Ricter comment as being the best, you forgot the amp that was made before any of them the Victoria 20112.

12. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

I didn't forget the Victoria's, and yes, they were the first. I tried 2 of their 5E3's about 5 years ago, a new one at a guitar show and a used one at a store. Maybe they were lemons or needed tune-ups. I was not impressed, especially with the high prices, both were very noisy and lacked balls. Other people love em, I'll stay away.

13. Trout

Trout Member

Clark is clearly one of if not the best " Clone " 5E3's for the money. There are others as well. SDG, Mission,LilDawg, heck a complete list could take up a whole page.

Victoria has an outstanding warranty and loads of dealers around the country.
    Richter, actually not a clone in the true sense of the word. She describes her amp as a "Rendition" rather than a clone. Her cabinet is not the same size, and there are other minor differences that make her amps different.
    I own 2 Richters, both have been outstanding values in the $700-800 range.

I played a Victoria about a month ago at a Guitar show. Very nice sounding amp, I could not say it was " Better " than the others but clearly it is a top quality offering.

Trout