• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What amp killed your overdrive pedal GAS?

theartofutility

Gold Supporting Member
After an extended hiatus of guitar playing, I am one of the countless many becoming reacquainted with my guitar and gear. My journey has taken me from an Orange TT (10" combo) to the recent acquisition of a '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue. I got the Princeton for the beautiful cleans and thought I'd get all my gain from pedals (as this amp doesn't start breaking up until we get to window-juddering volume). (P.S. I'm a home player and normally play the PRRI at volume 5).

However, I now feel I'd much rather get my overdrive sounds from the amp itself and so am about to pull the trigger on a Mesa Mark V:25. I'm hoping I'll never need an overdrive pedal again after purchasing this amp. I hope I'm not wrong. But, before I pull the trigger I wanted to sound out the TGP community.

So, is there an amp you've found that has killed your GAS for overdrive pedals, as you now get all of your OD from the amp itself?

rsilverst

Silver Supporting Member
It depends on what my use case is... when I was gigging, I always wanted a lot of different colors to the tone, so I set my amp on a clean tone and relied on a few overdrives.

That said, I still think my favorite amp ever for "just the amp" is my Mesa Boogie 1x12" Maverick with a Celestion Vintage 30 replacement speaker and JJ tubes. Even the clean channel by itself has absolutely amazing overdriven tones, especially if you play with the tone controls, and the fat switch for the channel. So versatile. The lead channel on the amp is a whole other beast, but I would put that in a different category than what people usually try to get from an overdrive pedal.

Anyway, it's the best amp I have ever owned, and I have had it for over 25 years and played many gigs with it (in the past) without a single failure.

rsilverst

Silver Supporting Member
However, I now feel I'd much rather get my overdrive sounds from the amp itself and so am about to pull the trigger on a Mesa Mark V:25. I'm hoping I'll never need an overdrive pedal again after purchasing this amp. I hope I'm not wrong. But, before I pull the trigger I wanted to sound out the TGP community.
FWIW, see my post below about the Mesa Maverick. I am not familiar with the Mark V, but I used to own a Mark IV. It was my dream amp because of how much versatility it *promised* with multiple channels, multiple voicings, multiple push-pull controls, possibility of running 6L6, EL34, 6V6 (the latter only if you want to cook eggs on the top of the amplifier, but still...). Sadly, that amp NEVER lived up to my hopes. It is infinitely adjustable, but I found myself spending ALL my time adjusting it, only to then go to a gig and find that what sounded good at practice wasn't sounding good in whatever room I was in. I think it could be a great recording amp when you are dialing in specific tones, and maybe that's what it is targeted for. But if you just want to plug in, spin a couple of knobs, and be thrilled, it was not the right amp. I tried every tube combination, and replaced the speaker 3 times. In the end, I traded it in because I couldn't even be bothered to deal with shipping something that heavy :)

Hopefully the Mark V is a different beast than the Mark IV?

guitarman3001

I use the dirt channels for medium to high gain on all my multi channel amps. I use a low gain dirt pedal for my edge of breakup tones but for everything else, I won't buy a multi-channel amp if I don't like the dirt channel.

I do like dirt pedals just for fun though, and I do use them with single channel amps.

LR1400

Silver Jubilee

Mesa Mark IV

No of pedals for me unless I play my old nmv Marshall’s. Thinking of getting an eq pedal so I can get more of a EVH vibe out of them.

LR1400

FWIW, see my post below about the Mesa Maverick. I am not familiar with the Mark V, but I used to own a Mark IV. It was my dream amp because of how much versatility it *promised* with multiple channels, multiple voicings, multiple push-pull controls, possibility of running 6L6, EL34, 6V6 (the latter only if you want to cook eggs on the top of the amplifier, but still...). Sadly, that amp NEVER lived up to my hopes. It is infinitely adjustable, but I found myself spending ALL my time adjusting it, only to then go to a gig and find that what sounded good at practice wasn't sounding good in whatever room I was in. I think it could be a great recording amp when you are dialing in specific tones, and maybe that's what it is targeted for. But if you just want to plug in, spin a couple of knobs, and be thrilled, it was not the right amp. I tried every tube combination, and replaced the speaker 3 times. In the end, I traded it in because I couldn't even be bothered to deal with shipping something that heavy :)

Love my Mark IV. My favorite amp. Live, did you push the mids?

The manual pretty much guides you through setting it up.

rsilverst

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa Mark IV
See my comment above on someone's post about the Mark V -- I went on a rant about my Mark IV, which you and I could probably have a good debate about, since we clearly have come to different conclusions on that amp :)

theartofutility

Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that insight into the Mark IV. That's real food for thought. It took me a few pedal flips before realising I was more of a 'plug and play' kind of person (too little patience). I've not encountered that scenario with an amp yet but I completely get what you're saying.

rawkguitarist

Honestly... none. I have 2 Carol-Ann's that have the best distortion sounds I've ever heard straight from an amp. But great clean amps with great dirt boxes still sound great. And its actually what I use most... IMO, a clean amp with pedals is often times the best sound for the situations. BUT... not just any amp or any distortion pedal will do. It took me a long time to key into what I have now.

Trending Topics