What amp to build next?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cocobolo, May 29, 2015.

What amp to build next

1. JTM45 with Radiospares OT

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. SSS w/OD

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. EF86 DC30/ 1986/87

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Lightning/Classic or High Plate Clean

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. cocobolo

cocobolo Supporting Member

Hey all, I thought it would be fun to see what you all would like to see next for a build thread.

Amp 1 is a JTM45 with Heyboer Radiospares OT, Sozo caps, and NOS AB Carbon Comps.

Amp 2 is my take on a Cathode Follower amp. High plate pre and OD. 2 tube spring reverb.

Amp 3 has the EF86 channel of a DC30 and a 50 watt plexi with dpdt mini switches to go from Bass to Lead spec.

Amp 4 is the 12ax7 side of a DC30 and a Classic or High Plate clean (can't decide which to do yet).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Wouldn't an SSS w/ OD pretty much be just an ODS? I'm not really up on my Dumbles.

In the end, I'm a Marshall kinda guy at heart so... JTM45

3. cocobolo

cocobolo Supporting Member

Hulakatt, well this one would have a cathode follower after the phase inverter like an sss, which would help to keep the power section from clipping. It also extends highs and lows.

I used to have a JTM build with a Marstran RS OT and Mustards. I miss the cleans of that amp and hopefully this next one will get close to the 3d thump that one had. I learned a few things on that one about how primary impedances affect the tone of different tube types. The RS OT has multiple taps for primaries. I spec'd the new OT with 3.4K, 6.6K, 8K primaries. I plan on selecting them with a rotary switch. Kind of overkill as the changes are subtle. Here is the one I still pine after:
    [​IMG]

4. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

The correct answer is "YES!"

;)

I'm not up on my SSS/ODS amps, but the others each excite me a great deal. You can't deny a great JTM45 and a Matchless-based design is always a winner (as long as you have a stash of EF86 tubes at the ready).

Whichever you choose, I'll be looking forward to your build thread.:cool:

cocobolo likes this.
  5. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Not gonna lie, this is the true answer. I know what my list of To-Build looks like ;)

cocobolo likes this.