1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kraen, Jan 8, 2008.

1. kraen

kraen Member

Hi guys
    My first post here!

I'm looking for a new amp to replace my Peavey Classic 30. I'm running a W/D/W with some pedals in front of the amp (od/dist/comp/tremolo/boost) and a G-Major after the amp.

I want some versatility as I play some cover and sometimes own material. My sound ideal is a good mix of Lukather, Queen, Van Halen, AC/DC - so mostly classic rock.

If you could suggest some amps that are available in Europe I would be glad - around $2000

2. kraen

kraen Member

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I think you may need to get into more specifics of what you are looking for.
    1x12, 2x12, head?
    Power rating?
    Effects loop?
    reverb?
    How important are some of these features to you? Do you have any amps in mind that you are looking at?
    The options in the States are almost unlimited for $2000 and buying either new or used.

4. kraen

kraen Member

Alright forgot that.

I'm looking for a head and 2x12 cab. I have no idea of how many watts. Obviously there has to be a FX Loop so I can send a signal to my G-Major. No reverb needed.

I have read a bit about Gilmour and I like his approach to sound. First a nice clean amp and then some pedals to form the sound. So actually I just need one channel.

I have thought about Hiwatt, Rivera, Bogner and so on. But these amps are very hard to get hands on in Denmark.

5. mrt

mrt Member

HMM, Queen=VOX, Van Halen=Peavey, AC/DC=Marshall,

How much are looking to spend?

I just picked up a Vox AC30... I was pretty shocked at the tones. You can get a really close AC/DC tone with it(and a great Brain May tone too)

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

B52 AT100 half-stack

7. ylo

ylo Member

What do you NOT like about your present amp? What tones are you missing?

This is all very subjective, and in the end nothing replaces trying out amps even if just quickly to thin the herd. Are there stores in your area that carry amps other than the usual mass market Crate, Fender, Peavey, low-end Marshall stuff? What about Hughes & Kettner, Egnater, Mesa, not to mention truly boutique stuff?

8. kraen

kraen Member

Well I'd rather not have a combo. I have enough of too heavy things. A head with a nice light 2x12 cab

9. kraen

kraen Member

I miss some headroom and warmth on my clean tone. I think my Peavey has some AC30'ish tone and that's great for some things but not very versatile. When I play distortion and overdrive it's compressing the tone. Not very much sustain for soloing.

The usual mass market amps are quite easy to get hands on but the boutique stuff has to be imported from another country - making it harder to try the amp before buying. There are some of the more expensive amps that are being selled used.

10. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

11. arfalax

arfalax Member

Laney makes a very versatile VH100R head that can probably be more easily tracked down since they're British made. Has a very flexible effects loop too.

12. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

What size venues do you play?

13. kraen

kraen Member

Mostly small clubs. But also outdoors. Varies a lot!

14. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I would definately check out some of the higher wattage Dr. Z heads.

KT-45, Prescription, and Stang Ray I would try out.

Do you have a store that carries Z?

15. Mudder

Mudder Member

You could check out the Engl Thunder. It's actually a real versatile amp, the most classically voiced of the Engls. Plenty of gain, nice EQ, effect loop, decent reverb (if you get that model). And it should be regularly available to you.

16. kraen

kraen Member

I must check out the Engl and Laney amps. The Engl Thunder is quite easy to get hands on - and cheap. The Laney a bit harder.

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

Hi Kraen, and welcome to the forum.

I am in a very similar boat to you. I have a Classic 30 and have been looking to upgrade it. I too want to avoid something that's going to break my back. However, I'm just guitar -> wah -> amp currently, though I do occasionally plug my PODxt Live into the effects return for some different sounds. I play blues/classic rock stuff mostly.

Anyway, I'd say your budget should get you something that's a step up from the C30 ... I started looking for amps that were twice the price of the C30 (new) and found nothing that was much better. Anyway, I'll stop rambling ... my current short list includes:

- Hughes and Kettner Duotone
    - Orange Rockerverb 50
    - Fender Super Reverb Re-issue (+ a quality OD pedal)

All of these amps produce really great tone. All of them sound relatively good at lower volume. I think I'd be happy with any of them, and I think I could forgive the Super Reverb combo it's 29kg weight 'cos it sounds SOOOOO good ... and for OD I recently tried a Blackstar Overdrive pedal which sounded superb ... it has a tube in it and so produces OD that is just like a built in tube amp OD channel.

If you're really after a head though, and you must have an effects loop, then the Duotone 100W head or Orange Rockerverb 50/100 head would give you that. I'd recommend trying both out. To my ears the Duotone's clean channel is amazing ... very chimey (more Fender than Vox) and has an uncanny amount of sustain for a clean channel.

Incidentally, and this is purely my own taste, I also tried a few Mesa Boogies (5:50, 5:25, Lonestar, Recto-verb) and none of them really grabbed me. The closest was the 5:50, which had a good clean, but I couldn't get an OD sound that wasn't muddy sounding. You might want to check out a 5:50 though ... you might like it.

Good luck! :AOK

18. mrt

mrt Member

Another amp with a tone options is a Mesa Stiletto...

you can get pick 1 up for about a grand, and buy a use mesa 2x12.

19. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

??????

Van Halen=Marshall

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

Hi and welcome.

With the budget you've mentioned I would first try to survey the local
    builders to see who does custom builds.

If you're into Gilmour, I'd be looking for either a good used 70's Hiwatt 50 or 100 watt or if you must buy new, then look seriously at Reeves amplification.

http://www.reevesamps.com/

For more of a Marshall tone, I'd go to Ceriatone and talk to Nik.

You guys get killed on import duties and VAT, so really your best bet is to
    buy used and have it refurbished or go with a reputable local builder.