What amp to compliment a Blackstar HT-5?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by t-rey, Dec 22, 2009.

1. t-rey

t-rey Member

I am looking for an amp in the $1k range to compliment my Blackstar HT-5. I primarily play rock - mostly stoner rock type stuff to classic rock to more 'modern' rock. I am looking for something with a nice, thick clean tone that also has nice low to mid gain tones. I am primarily a bedroom player right now, but something that would be good at home and jamming with a drummer would be nice (I understand this is asking alot, but just wanted to throw that out there - tone at home volumes is the priority). The front runner currently is a Reeves Custom 12 with Power Scaling, but I really want to explore my options before making any decisions.

So there you have it - what would you do? Would you get an amp - if so recommend me one. Would you get some good tubes and a better cab for the Blackstar and save the rest of the cash? Would you do something else entirely?

As always thanks for the input everyone.

2. zos

zos Member

I would just swap the pre amp tube in the HT5 to a 5751 tube and get a good 2x12 cab wth greenbacks in it . It sounds like butter !

And to improve the sound even more use an EQ in the loop to tweak to your prefered tones .

3. t-rey

t-rey Member

What effect with the 5751 have on the overall tone of the amp? More or less gain? How about headroom on the clean channel? Would a new cab/speaker(s) or tubes help with that? Also going from a 1x10 to a 1x12 or 2x12 - how much louder will the amp seem?

4. Mudder

Mudder Member

The 5751 will lower overall gain a bit, but it's warm so your saturation is still nice.

5. t-rey

t-rey Member

Sounds like a winner. Would it do anything to increase the headroom on the clean channel?

6. Mudder

Mudder Member

A little bit, not as much as a 12at7 would, but the at is a bit thinner, some say sterile sounding. Both are cheap, you could get both and try them out.

You still won't get a whole ton of clean headroom, but with a lower output preamp tube and turning down your guitar volume it will be more than comes stock.

7. t-rey

t-rey Member

Nice - as it stands now, I can get the clean channel up to about half before there is a bit too much breakup. This sounds like the ticket. I have my eye on a nice 2x12, and if I understand correctly, the perceived volume will be higher so I will get louder cleans as well, right?

Anybody care to recommend some speakers for the HT-5?