What amp types are like this?

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
Non master volume. The kind that break up very early on the volume knob, but stay fairly on the light break up side of things until the last quarter of the volume knob?

I ask because I tend to not do super cleans, wanting a light breakup tone as my “base” but be able to have wiggle room to keep it that way if I need to increase or decrease the volume.

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
I have a house, with no kids yet, so not exactly bedroom volume, but yet not so high that my next door neighbors may complain.

highest would probably be “hard hitting rock drummer” levels.

Guitar Dave T

Hard-hitting Rock drummer level is pretty loud. I gig regularly and still don't get to that level often at all.

So let's go with your first volume references. Sounds like you're describing a Tweed Deluxe. Plug straight in, crank it all the way up and use your guitar volume to go from clean to blistering mean. Rinse, repeat.

cardinal

IME once a non-master volume amp starts to break up, you're already pretty much at max volume.

You may want whatever amp and something like the Fryette Power Station, which will let you set your amp to the desired overdrive and then separately set the decibels.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
A small 6v6 tweed for the first volume level. A 5f6-a or 5f8-a for the second.

I have a 5e3, a 5f6-a and a5f8-a. I use them all for different gigs and situations. But, in all honesty, I play the Twin most. I use the Twin at home a lot for practice.

The 5f6/5f8 circuits have a lot of range, from conversational levels, with a lotta clean and a hair bit of hair, to big, big volumes with some clean and a bit more hair. But, to reach rock levels of drive, they gotta be cooking a good bit. I go on a lot about how rich the Twin's tone is, lots of overtones, dynamics/touch sensitivity, etc. It is my favorite amp of all time.... But, it is authoritative and percussive, even at lower volumes. It can be overwhelming, quickly. I tend to run my guitar volumes down, no matter what situation I'm in... At home practice levels, I tend to run them around 2-4, gigs, it's at 7-8. The inset of hairiness is a very slow ramp up the volume knobs on both of these circuits... creeping on ya. Full volume is about 7 or so, after that it is truly just more dirt. But, compared to something like a Deluxe, which is at max volume around 3.5 or 4, it's night and day.

I play WCB style stuff, relatively clean, with a bit of hair and some heavy reverb thrown in front. I get heavier dirt from pedals most of the time.

The real secret is judicious use of your gutiar's volume knob.

On the other hand, a tweed Deluxe can work... But, I find them a bit dark at low volumes.

Tootone

Vox AC30 C2 or C2X will do as you describe. It has a Master Volume, but designed in such a way that you turn it full up, to behave "Non Master".

You have a choice then between using Treble Boost or Normal or patching and using both blended.

It does exactly what you are asking, if you like the AC sound.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
You basically described the JTM45/Bluesbreaker and Tweed Bassman. I suspect the LP Tweed Twin and other Tweeds in the 30-40w range would also apply.

For home use though, some kind of attention or re-amping would be necessary to get the balls to the wall rock sound. A Tweed Deluxe makes sense. I look for the same characteristic in amps. Others include; Supro 1600, 1624T, Saturn Reverb. Vox AC15. Marshall 1974, SV20

Last edited:

Guitar Dave T

Depends on the amp, the speaker and the home. Loud? yes. Too loud? Depends.
Yep. Brick house will insulate the neighbors better than panel skinned. An inner room that has another room's width of insulation from next door neighbors helps too. Double or triple paned windows are a big plus, especially if your neighbors have them too.

DV52

57 Bandmaster .
Old fashioned 4 holer . Great for tone shaping .
Jump the channels use the interacting volumes to taste and your off and running.
I was talking to Mrs. DV about amps the other night and she reminded me that she liked it a lot and I should have kept it .

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
Vox AC15/30 does that, so does the 5F6A/5F8A Tweed or JTM45. Just depends on what kind of character you want and the headroom you need.

Trending Topics