What amp would be closest to the Two-Rock tone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fogman, Dec 16, 2007.

1. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Have someone build you a D'Lite kit, if you can't afford a production model. If you know a good tech, there are guys who can help you to get what you want out of it.

Or, if you can swing it, have Moss build you one. Just tell him what you want.

Either way, it won't be near $5000.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'm already talking to Moss. I've owned two rock and fuchs and they are both fantastic and worth every penny and there are nuances there that cannot be achieved with a peavey and a pedal. All I'm saying is that you can get dumblesque tones out of many different platforms without spending $5k which is what the original poster was looking for.

In fact, you can get a used TRCR for around $2k if you shop around...

3. Marcello

Marcello Member

4. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I agree 100%. Hope you find what you're looking for too. :BEER

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I think He took all the good things form his Fender Vibro King an developed the Two rock from there.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Find a used Two Rock Jet Head..[There was just one for sale here for $2000]...The clean channel is absolutely that sound John got...well, a LOT has to do with your hands, but if you're an accomplished guitarist, you already know that....and the Jets' Reverb is frrom the Signature amps, and the Overdrive channel is just amazing...sustain, not to much compression...If you want the amp to break up early like a Deluxe Reverb, [like I do], use 6V6's...If you want it cleaner like Mr. Mayer's tone, use 6L6's with it...With the right speakers and cabinet, I'd put the Jet up against anything out there in Dumble land...It's an amazing amp, espiecally with Scumback 75's!! Out of the 3 Two Rocks I've owned, this model is my Fave so far...

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Hi Scott...Well that's good to know....happy Holidays

8. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

I own a D'Lite22, Fuchs ods 50, tds 50, tds 100, TR Em Pro, TR CR Sig, TR jet combo.......so you can say that I have some experience with these types of amps. I have not had the opportunity to play any of the top of the line TR's and did not hear the Meyer clip. So, I cannot comment on how close you can get to those exact sounds but can make the generalization that all of these amps are of the same basic tonality and can get quite close to each other. The D'Lite is not quite as complex as the TR and Fuchs amps but, for the money is certainly close enough and when not compared directly, sounds every bit as good in a gigging situation. The Fuchs cleans are a little "more clean" if that makes any sense whereas the TR cleans are a little more harmonically "active" and always seem to have just a bit of hair around the notes. Think of the Fuchs as being better for funk comping and the TR as being more suited towards blues chording. ( I know this is a broad generalization but serves the purpose.) The od sections are remarkably similar with the D'lite having the most gain on tap. The short answer is that imho, the d'lite will give you everything you want out of that tone for a price within your stated budget and you won't miss a thing unless you play it side by side with one of the others.

In answer to another question...I have very good luck running a G Major in the fx loop of the d'lite for 'verb and time mod effects.

BTW: I agree with Rod....the Jet is as satisfying as any TR I've ever played. Super easy to dial in as well.

Happy Holidays to all.
    Michael

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

you can count me as + 3 for the jet. great amp! two rocks are not that expensive used, have a 5 year warranty. and are built durably.i bought mine sight unseen and was fully prepared to not like it and sell it soon. that was six months ago.there seems to be a lot of attitude against tr on tgp because of their pricing. i didn't know these attitudes existed when i bought mine, and that now i'm a corksniffer to some. to those people i say, thank you for being so concerned about my finances.:)

10. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

There are Fuchs mods and (occasionally) Two Rock mods available used for $1100 - 1600.
    They can sound great (I have 3, plus a production Two Rock)

11. v-verb

v-verb Member

That's what I would suggest. I had an Emerald 50 that had awesome cleans and probably could do the Mayer thing

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Seems to me that there are those amongst us who focus on the 10% difference and those who are satisfied with the 90% similarities.

A pedal and tweaking will not give one the full experience of playing an amp but for nailing a specific tone, especially one as vague (i.e. YOU have not played that rig) as that presented in a video clip or recording you can often get to the 90% bit, definitely to the 'reasonable facsimile' for performance stage.

13. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

It ain't about the $$$ put out for these high end amps,
    it's about the musicianship put into the playing.

If the fingers can't do it, then you're not going to draw the
    great tone from any amp.

All I can afford is an ASAT Special, a Fender Blues Deluxe RI
    and a Zendrive 2.

The rest I have to depend on my fingers for, and that is constantly
    being worked on. But I really dig my tone.

I would love to own a TR or Fuchs or Bruno, but I can still play with
    passion with my amp.

The passion is inside of you, not in an amp.

If the fingers are happy, the amp will sing. Regardless.

I have to believe that.

14. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

check out the Kingsley...I can get the tones of my two rock on it all day long...and then some I might add.

15. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Super Reverb or Vibro-King.

The fact is...

You aren't gunna get that thickness and swirl without bigger strings. Around 11's or 12's makes it alot easier to sound like that. Neck/Middle position. Don't focus on pedals as much as spending time with your amp knobs. Dial in your volume first, then your bass response, then your treble. The most important part of that tone is how much mid is in there.

Dial it up and up until you voice a Em9 and it has that gutsy resonance in the low mids.

Once there, turn the amp volume up a digit or two and you've got Continuum in your volume knob.

-Jon

16. gregory70

gregory70 Member

I concur about the Jet. I have the head with 6l6's and the Signature 1X12 cab and, if I'm playing well that day, I can hit Mayer thru Bonamassa tones.

That said, I have a Heritage Victory combo that I use with a Lovepedal Purple Plexi and a Roadhouse Eternity. With those pedals stacked, I can get tones, clean and different levels of dirty, that are very close to the Two Rock Jet. Maybe not as complex or full, but very close. I usually gig with the Victory simply because it cost less and I don't worry as much. Crappy bar, outdoor gig, Victory and pedals. Nice place, Two Rock all the way.

17. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

yeap, everyone knows you just need to buy the same gear as your favorite guitarist and you'll sound just like him.

18. charley

charley Silver Supporting Member

Just wanted to share my story. I had an early TR Custom Reverb that I loved (serial # 10). Unfortunately, due to the need to pay for grad school, and the fact that I got nervous lugging a $3000 amp around NYC by taxi, I sold it. In its place I bought a Boogie MK 1 Reissue ($1200 new/$750 used), as it was RELATIVELY inexpensive, was replaceable, and could take a beating.

Of course, the tone is not the same, but I am able to get in the ballpark with the Boogie, a Keeley Compressor, and a Fulldrive 2. In a live situation, it gets me 95% of the way there. That last 5% can only be heard by a trained and tuned ear, and, in my opinion, most people in a bar room audience don't care about that last 5%.

19. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I was wondering whether it was condescending or an opaque shot at TGP humor, I'm not sure. No question he's a wonderful player, but the article in GP where he went on about the need for constant microtonal bending of notes within chords etc in order to really play in tune made me realize his perspective on some things is miles away from mine....

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

20. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

As someone who owns a Two Rock Em50 and an Omega HRDx...

The Omega is a very nice amp. In fact I'd say it's brilliant for the $$$ but it's a lot easier to put it in the same league as a Two Rock when you're listening to a clip created with lossy compression and played through PC speakers. When you're working the strings, the difference is like night and day. You could make an argument that the OP's query was just about timbre and he's not looking for the TRock's response. You'd probably have a point but I think it's mistake to assume that a rig's dynamic response doesn't play a role in what the audience hears, both in terms of tonal nuance and player inspiration.

That's not to say that I don't dig my Omega. I definitely consider it a step up from the stock HRDx and not a bad deal at all. I've been looking for something that inspires me like my Em50 so I wouldn't have as much cash ("only" ~$1800 ;)) tied up in the Two Rock. Omega doesn't do it. Zendrive doesn't do it. Rumble Mod doesn't do it. Barber doesn't do it. Jetter doesn't do it. That's not coming from someone who's looking to validate his investment but rather from an individual who wished there was a less costly way to get what his Two Rock offers.

To add a constructive suggestion, the ZD gets me the closest to that territory both in terms of timbre and dynamic response (though the Rumble Mod seems to nail the initial attack). I haven't gotten a chance to try to Howie but given Menatone's knack for building amp-like pedals, it might have a shot.

Unless you think that the dumbleque thing is the sound for you, I'd suggest one or more of the "smooth drive" pedals through a great clean amp. Even if you don't have the clean amp, such a rig can easily be had for less than two large. If you are willing to dedicate an amp to such tones, a dumblesque Two Rock can fit in to your budget if you're patient.