What amp would complement twin Fender Pro Jr's in a Stereo rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Frankenstratov, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

I have been working on a three amp stereo rig featuring two small identical early 90's Fender (with the blue 10" speaker) tweed Pro Jr's placed left and right, and a Blues Jr set in the middle for clean tones. I have a Boss DD-6 and a PN-2 hooked up to the two Pro Jr's and can get some very nice 70's style stereo swirl! I thought I had the amp portion all worked out, but alas, there was one major development during this project, although sort of unfortunate... I hesitate to even say it because I am afraid of hordes of angry guitarists showing up at my door to beat me with rakes and burn me at the stake!!!
    I fear that I have become most disappointed with the Blues Jr amp! There, I've said it!
    The more time I spent with just the naked cranked amps and stereo thing, I found that I just didn't like the sound of the Blues Jr, no matter what I did to it... What the heck? I figured the Pro jr's with the Blues jr would be a perfect match, but the Blues jr kind of took away from it! Now what???
    What amp would be a good complement to the two Fender Pro jr's??? Something bassier? Something identical? Not sure which way to go since I thought the Blues Jr would be a slam dunk...
    Any ideas? My main guitar is a strat and I play 70's style hard rock, stoner rock and funk rock.
    [​IMG]

2. Bryce_dude13

Bryce_dude13 Member

If you're playing clean, I'd add something in the 6v6 or 6l6 camp. Maybe a Deluxe Reverb or similar? I think the mid scoop would compliment the mids in the pro juniors very well. If you're only playing it clean, it's hard to beat a good high wattage 6l6 amp.

Mainly, I'd look for something with a "pretty" clean sound. When you combine that with the gnarly juniors it's a great sound. You get the clarity and the grind.

3. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

Yes! That was the word I was looking for!!! GNARLY! I love the little juniors! They are simple, loud & gnarly! Not great for everything, but definitely one of the sounds in my head and pleasing to my ears! Thats funny! Thanks man!

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

"I found that I just didn't like the sound of the Blues Jr, no matter what I did to it... What the heck?"

And just what did you do to it? Speakers? Tubes? So many unanswered variables pop into my mind with this statement.

Many, many ways you can do w/d/w. I've been doing it since early 90's. Even taking another pro jr, using it as center amp, putting the right speaker and tubes in it and giving it it own OD/EQ pedal voice would be all it takes to make a nice setup.

Frankenstratov likes this.
  5. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

Oops, sorry Dave...don't hurt me! What I meant by my vAgUe statement was that I tried every possible knob turning tone and/or volume adjustment possible on the amp. Basically, using only what it came with! No external OD or EQ added...yet... That's for later. The Blues Jr I have is a MIM Brown tolex version w/ cream knobs but no "special" speaker. Very nice to look at. Actually, the amp sounds great on it's own, (so as long as I can hide it from the wife, I'm keeping it!) I just wanted something that would better complement the Pro Jrs' naturally gnarly attitude, and for me, this Blues jr amp just isn't it...
    The Pro Jrs are both the first run early 90's Brea, Ca tweed models, and both have the funky blue 10" speaker... totally stock! They are fine just as they are.
    But most importantly, I don't have enough fundage to start modding stuff just yet and need to hold off on that because once I start, I will not be able to stop! I have a gear problem. So I just need something stock.

6. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

Hmmm... but another Pro Jr you say? I , ummm, do happen to have an extra 10" speaker laying around here somewhere. Something that would be different. Something like a Reverend Alltone 1030... uh-oh... but what tubes to go with it? Which Pro Jr ? 2nd run USA or MIM? Oh, Mercury magnetics transformer upgrade? Ahhh, could re-cover it with brown tolex, and , ummm, maybe a new dove-tailed pine cabinet...wait... STOP!
    See? Trouble!

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well that's thing Blues jr you'll find all kinds of mods for taking them from ok amp to much better than ok amps. #1 change that you can make to make a amp better is speaker, a Alltone speaker in a BJ, I'd be all for that, love them alltones to death. If you've got one laying around get you a 12" to 10" adapter ring for $25 and see if you can shoehorn it into BJ.

Me, I'm the other way around from you, my center dry amp is the skanky 6v6 one with a ratty'r 8" tone tubby alnico , the stereo image are cleaner 6L6 amps, with cleaner running 12" TT 40/40 speakers. To me your doing it backwards, your dry center chan amp should be the more aggressive leading tone, the stereo image fills in around it.

I use this as my split point, 1in/2out tube boost/OD.

[​IMG]

All it's running is a pair of old RCA 12au7 cleartops, the lowest gain tubes you can get. It's spectacular and the boost/OD pedal I use more than any other.

1 tube chan goes to dry amp, other side goes to stereo pedals then out to 2 amps. I can set a different boost/drive level for each side, being my dry amp is a more aggressive 6v6 amp I usually have a bit more drive going to wet side. For setup you've got it would probably be just the opposite.

I really think all you need is dedicated OD just for BJ, and speaker swap in it also.

Me, I'd actually be trying to clean Pros up a bit with a pair of tone tubby 40/40 and probably swap out their v1 with a Sylvania 5751. Then you can add a drive pedal to front of the whole chain to make it all dirtier, or leave them all clean. But a dedicated boost or OD pedal only on dry center would be a must if it doesn't have a dedicated dirt chan you can footswitch into.

Most time based effects, especially reverb actually sound better if their on slightly cleaner running stereo amps, the heavier dirt and grit just peeks out at you a bit from center/dry amp then. It provides focus, then the stereo amps fill in bloom and width with their stereo effects.

I have vol pedals going to all 3 amps, sometimes I shut little 6v6 skanky amp in center down and use the cleaner stereo pair for big stereo clean image, other times I almost shut stereo amp off but crank their OD a bit and bring that skany little 6v6 forward hard. All depends on what my desired end result is.

Funny thing is I've often thought about getting a pro jr to replace Rickenbacker m-8 as center channel, but it would absolutely have it's own dedicated tube preamp or OD/EQ as well as a speaker swap to get it where I like.

Tubes, I do whatever I like on that. I've 4 boxes just like this full. Like I said I've been at this since 85'.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

OK, I can see that not only have you have stopped attending the local Gear Acquisition Syndrome Anonymous meetings, but now you are taking my inventory by showing me your inventory! You are clearly a GAS enabler!!!! What kind of sponsor are you?
    The wagon is leaving without me...

9. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

Where do you get your magical tubes?

10. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I use a Carr Mercury in a two amp set-up with a Custom Pro Jr. Both have 12" Celestion Blues in them and the tone is huge. I run the Mercury on the middle tone setting which is almost Vox like in tone compared to the Fendery Clean #1 setting or Marshally higher gain #3 position.

What type switch ( Y ) box are you using to drive 3 amps ? My Reinhardt 18 would love to join the party. Any issues with ground loops, hum, or other less desirable things that can happen with multi-amp set ups ?

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I get most of my tubes via eBay.

As far as gas, I'm very thrifty, very seldom if ever buy and flip. Usually pay $100-150 for a pedal used. But yea I've got gear everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    Unlike you I didn't give up guitar for 20yrs ago so I've been collecting/using this stuff for almost 30yrs now, over last 2/3 of that working with w/d/w stuff.

But as I said above, all you probably need is a OD and a speaker. And that will come in way under flipping for another amp.

If you really just want to go for another amp try a Laney Cub 10, its cranky enough to do job on its own and also very affordable. It has a gain knob so you can dial in just amount of dirty that you want.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd want to get something that was different enough from the Pro. Jr amp to make a cool contrast: maybe Vox or Orange or Marshall--or my favorite in flexibility, the Randal RM50. Should be able to land a used one for well under $500, get a few modules (maybe even look into modded ones which can sound extra great) and you've got some really interesting tones for the same basic price as a vanilla Fender.