What amp would you say NAILS a Vox AC30 tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

.... where in a blind taste test, you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference?

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Waiting for someone to say the Hayseed. Then waiting for Tag to say no it doesn't. Then waiting for the thread to self destruct.:horse:bkw

3. scottcw

scottcw Silver Supporting Member

Which Vox AC30? JMI era? Korg era? Current reissues (and then are you talking the HW or the CC or some other version)?

4. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

5. Dendog

Dendog Member

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I second the motion, why not an AC15 or AC30? Now that you have the choice of the AC30CC2 for cheap, or the AC30HW or the AC30PTP, plus a few left-over Brian Mays out there, from $1200-3000, there's just no excuse for NOT using an AC30 for Vox tone!

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The Vox TBX or CC. A stock TBX came in second place in a blind test against a slew of vintage ones, with the listeners being the owners of all the vintage amps! I like the CC even more than the TBXs. Guys bitched about the transformers used in the TBX, so vox spent a ton of money cloning the best vintage ones they could find. The CC is my fave AC 30 ever built.

Vox is a tough one like Dumble, as I have never heard any other clone NAIL the Vox tone. Just Vox!

:dude

8. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

The new guy I am working with XITS does a great Vox style amp and it looks pretty too!

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

That clip of the Piper XS you did sounds bad-ass. Sounds like it is about to explode--in a good way. I love the ef86 amps when done right.

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

perhaps it would be helpful to list the EL84 'clone' amps U've played.

(opens pandora's box full of worms and runs for cover...)

11. hbentley

hbentley Member

i think it's a legitimate thread (esp if he's looking for a gigging amp). good old voxes are worth a pretty penny and many aren't very reliable. the new cc2's (that i've played), were crappy. they looked thrown together and sounded thin and harsh.

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

What's the ETA on that AC50 amp he's building ?

13. pepi

pepi Member

VOX Valvetronix :Spank

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Menatone TBIAC into Fender Twin Reverb.

;) <--that's me just trying to get people upset.

15. Garygtr

Garygtr Silver Supporting Member

Alright Tag, I have to ask this. I am not trying to stir up a fight, this is an honest question :D
    Other than legal ownership of the name "Vox", what separates a current production AC30 from the various clones? Is there some technology, manufacturing process, or source material that the owners of the Vox name have that others don't? What is Vox doing that the cloners aren't doing (or can't do)?

16. Tag

I have no idea, but go line them up and give a listen. Same with Fender style Strats and amps. Chapin is the only one that really has the fender Strat vibe going on. Anbother one. play a fender Robben ford guitar and a baker Robben Ford model. I like The Fender a lot more. Try all the fender clones. I prefer the Fenders to all of the fender style amps except the Brunos.

17. Tag

Yep. I feel differently. The AC30 CC NAILS vintage Vox tones. If you prefer different transformers, then you prefer that to a trure vintage Vox sound. Nothing wrong with that, but its not vintage Vox anymore. :messedup I have A/bd them with a HWRI as well. The CC nails the vintage Vox tones EASILY, at all volumes, and does MORE as well. Vox hit the nail on the head.

IF you want or prefer a Boutique clone of a Vox AC 30. Call Tony Bruno. hey, thats what Vox did, and they could have had anyone in the world they wanted.

;)

18. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Silver Supporting Member

the Vox AC30CC2 with Eminence Red Fangs is a great start. loaded with JJ tubes, it is there. it is a perfect match to my buddy's vintage AC30

just can't get the CHIME elsewhere.......my opinion, carry on

19. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

20. tvegas99

tvegas99 Supporting Member

After owning and loving many AC30-type amps for the past ten years, I must say the Vox CC is fantastic! It has to win any bang for the buck contests. I would recommend the head!!

Buy one for $500 used and let Don Butler at Mercury give you an upgrade... if you have the desire to boutique it up a little!