What amp would you say NAILS a Vox AC30 tone ?

bbarnard

Waiting for someone to say the Hayseed. Then waiting for Tag to say no it doesn't. Then waiting for the thread to self destruct.:horse:bkw

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Silver Supporting Member
.... where in a blind taste test, you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference?
Which Vox AC30? JMI era? Korg era? Current reissues (and then are you talking the HW or the CC or some other version)?

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
I second the motion, why not an AC15 or AC30? Now that you have the choice of the AC30CC2 for cheap, or the AC30HW or the AC30PTP, plus a few left-over Brian Mays out there, from $1200-3000, there's just no excuse for NOT using an AC30 for Vox tone!

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
.... where in a blind taste test, you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference?
The Vox TBX or CC. A stock TBX came in second place in a blind test against a slew of vintage ones, with the listeners being the owners of all the vintage amps! I like the CC even more than the TBXs. Guys bitched about the transformers used in the TBX, so vox spent a ton of money cloning the best vintage ones they could find. The CC is my fave AC 30 ever built.

Vox is a tough one like Dumble, as I have never heard any other clone NAIL the Vox tone. Just Vox!

:dude

wichita

The new guy I am working with XITS does a great Vox style amp and it looks pretty too!

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Gold Supporting Member
The new guy I am working with XITS does a great Vox style amp and it looks pretty too!
That clip of the Piper XS you did sounds bad-ass. Sounds like it is about to explode--in a good way. I love the ef86 amps when done right.

hbentley

i think it's a legitimate thread (esp if he's looking for a gigging amp). good old voxes are worth a pretty penny and many aren't very reliable. the new cc2's (that i've played), were crappy. they looked thrown together and sounded thin and harsh.

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Silver Supporting Member
Vox is a tough one like Dumble, as I have never heard any other clone NAIL the Vox tone. Just Vox!
:dude
Alright Tag, I have to ask this. I am not trying to stir up a fight, this is an honest question :D
Other than legal ownership of the name "Vox", what separates a current production AC30 from the various clones? Is there some technology, manufacturing process, or source material that the owners of the Vox name have that others don't? What is Vox doing that the cloners aren't doing (or can't do)?

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
Alright Tag, I have to ask this. I am not trying to stir up a fight, this is an honest question :D
Other than legal ownership of the name "Vox", what separates a current production AC30 from the various clones? Is there some technology, manufacturing process, or source material that the owners of the Vox name have that others don't? What is Vox doing that the cloners aren't doing (or can't do)?

I have no idea, but go line them up and give a listen. Same with Fender style Strats and amps. Chapin is the only one that really has the fender Strat vibe going on. Anbother one. play a fender Robben ford guitar and a baker Robben Ford model. I like The Fender a lot more. Try all the fender clones. I prefer the Fenders to all of the fender style amps except the Brunos.

Tag

Gold Supporting Member
IMO the stock AC30CC o/p transformer is crap.Get it on a gig and crank it.It just doesn't hold up all that well IMO.Change it to a MM Woden or Radio Spare and step back.It makes the amp sound like the real deal.Of course you may feel differently but I feel if you were to play mine side by side with your stock AC30 you would hear a big difference.
Yep. I feel differently. The AC30 CC NAILS vintage Vox tones. If you prefer different transformers, then you prefer that to a trure vintage Vox sound. Nothing wrong with that, but its not vintage Vox anymore. :messedup I have A/bd them with a HWRI as well. The CC nails the vintage Vox tones EASILY, at all volumes, and does MORE as well. Vox hit the nail on the head.

IF you want or prefer a Boutique clone of a Vox AC 30. Call Tony Bruno. hey, thats what Vox did, and they could have had anyone in the world they wanted.

;)

guitarman_nebr

Supporting Member
the Vox AC30CC2 with Eminence Red Fangs is a great start. loaded with JJ tubes, it is there. it is a perfect match to my buddy's vintage AC30

just can't get the CHIME elsewhere.......my opinion, carry on

tvegas99

Silver Supporting Member
After owning and loving many AC30-type amps for the past ten years, I must say the Vox CC is fantastic! It has to win any bang for the buck contests. I would recommend the head!!

Buy one for $500 used and let Don Butler at Mercury give you an upgrade... if you have the desire to boutique it up a little!

Trending Topics