What amp would you suggest for...

Smakutus

A friend's kid plays in a high school aged rock band. They play punk rock style music and play out in the bars 3 or 4 times a month, opened for .. The guitarist uses one of those cheaper Marshall valve state type amps and it's not real good sounding. He uses distortion boxes for the most part. I have suggested to his dad he buy him a good 50 or 100 watt tube head and dump the cheap stuff.. He thinks tubes mean more problems.

What would be a good tube head in the $500 range? (or other options you would recommend?)

Thanks,
Jeff

CaptainLou426

A friend's kid plays in a high school aged rock band. They play punk rock style music and play out in the bars 3 or 4 times a month, opened for .. The guitarist uses one of those cheaper Marshall valve state type amps and it's not real good sounding. He uses distortion boxes for the most part. I have suggested to his dad he buy him a good 50 or 100 watt tube head and dump the cheap stuff.. He thinks tubes mean more problems.

What would be a good tube head in the $500 range? (or other options you would recommend?)

Thanks,
Jeff
Bugera Trirec 100W. It's a high school kid. It would be best to try something like that out first. At least his father would be able to know if the kid would at least take care of it and know it's not something you can throw around like a solid state.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
Another vote for the Peavey Classic 50. Or a used Marshall DSL40c.

If the kid is happy with what he's got, then why press him to get something else? Sounds like the kid is doing what we all should be doing (myself included....)............playing and not worrying about gear.......He's a teenager, he's got plenty of time to worry about haunting mids and the like......

kustombob

Buy him a Paint Brush or Hammer and tell him to learn a Trade. Their is not much money playing bars' been their. No Just joking . You will get a hundred reply's here. Their are so many. Blackstar' the Marshall DSL50 would be great and my first choice.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
his amp doesn't sound good - but having "a tube amp" would cure it?

I've heard PLENTY of tube amps that sounded like crap. Tubes do not equal tone. And the kid is right - tubes are more problems. You can't drop the amp when the tubes are hot. You can't take it outside into 10 degree whether when the tubes are hot. you don't want rain hitting hot tubes either. Tubes have to be replaced, and biased - and every time you do it there is a cost of $100-$300.

Maybe the answer is get him a peavey bandit and some GOOD pedals. sounds good and he would have to try to break it.

Red House

Gold Supporting Member
If the kid is happy with what he's got, then why press him to get something else? Sounds like the kid is doing what we all should be doing (myself included....)............playing and not worrying about gear.......He's a teenager, he's got plenty of time to worry about haunting mids and the like......
+928 - great post!
:beer

Trending Topics