What amperage for 9v adapter for Cry Baby Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyL, Jun 1, 2015.

1. BillyL

BillyL Member

I've got an old Cry Baby that doesn't have an adapter input - just a 9volt battery connector. I've wired it up so I can use an adapter and found one in my junk box that outputs 9volts and 300 mA, and another that outputs 9V 600 mA. Will either one work? Thanks!

2. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Both are far more than you'll need for the CB.

3. BillyL

BillyL Member

I figured that, but they wont hurt it, right?

4. casus

casus Member

No they won't. As long as they provide equally or more amps than you need, you're good. Just make sure the polarity matches.

5. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Yes - sorry I should have mentioned that as well. Most adapters for things like phones or household devices are center positive as opposed to our standard Boss adapter for pedals which is center negative. You'll want to make sure that you have the correct polarity. Usually there's a little picture near the voltage markings with the description showing a front-end view of the plug with a plus or minus sign identifying the center pin. If it is center positive (the opposite of what we want) and you'd still like to use it, the wire for the plug is actually two wires; one will have a series of white dashes or a ridge along one side. If you cut the wire (not being plugged in), split the two conductors (one ground) and re-attach it with the end that was on the side with the dashes or ridge now on the opposite side of what it was, the adapter will work; you've reversed the polarity of the plug. If I was doing that I'd snip each wire individually, about one inch apart from each cut and re-attach the two, now on the opposite sides, using a small piece of shrink wrap to make certain there's no chance of one of the bare wires touching the other.
    [​IMG]

6. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I have an old Cry Baby from the '90s with no AC adaptor also.
    A few years ago I bought a generic Power All pedal board power kit that came with a 9V adaptor. The power supply indicates 2A. I had no luck using it with the Cry Baby. Not sure what the issue was -- if it was wrong polarity or wrong amperage, but it would not work properly. Caused strange noises.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015