What amps did Nuno use on Waiting for the Punchline?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pickslide, Feb 4, 2008.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Really digging that fat tone he has on that album. Anybody know what amps he was using?

2. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Here ya go: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67342

vibroverb? Not really heard much about this one.. will have to research..that album was a bit weak but his playing was killer. I liked the tone on teh third album as well. The first two albums have got to be the tube preamp stuff.. rack gear like the ADA MP-1.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

Yeah, the reissue '63 (brown) Vibroverb was one that he allegedly used.

4. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Cool..thanks! I love how fat his tone is on that album.

5. cam

cam Supporting Member

I love the tone and the rawness of the album, too. That's probably my favorite Extreme album.

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I thought punchline was one of the best albums they did - great tone from Nuno.

7. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I remember in a guitar mag he talked about loving the Vibroverb, how the amp sounded like the tubes were on fire, and you could hear every nuance, etc, etc. Compared to the ADA rack stuff, he was loving a "real" amp. Etc.

8. cam

cam Supporting Member

9. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

10. topbrent

topbrent Member

The reissue 63 vibroverb is undeniably the amp tone of that album. It is really astonishing to crank one of those amps into a 4x12 ...there it is...punchline tone.

Now if I could just make myself get over my PTP snobbiness and just buy one of those amps again. I owe alot of my guitar technique to that album.

11. steve10358

steve10358 Member

I've been able to crank the brown 1990's Fender reissue and it is absolutely without a doubt the amp Nuno used on most of WFTP. There's Soldano on that record too... but the beautiful raw, stratty tones are the Fender amp. STOCK.

S.

12. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Can it get crunchy and gainy enough to handle leads? The punchline album did have killer tone though, you guys are right on that one. Wonder how good his amp with Randall will be. Apparently he has been going back and forth between Marshall and hughes and Kettner live and found himself coming back to the Marshalls all the time. The Randall is supposed to be all the things he wanted from both amps but could not quite get. We'll see about that. He'll probably still have a Soldano hidden under the stage ;)