• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What amps is Alex Lifeson using here?

John C

Gold Supporting Member
the heads look like 70s Marshalls with the "Marshall" logo removed. They are sitting on what look like JCM-800-era Marshall combos, also with the logo removed. It seems like the JCM-800 line came out in 1980, and the Moving Pictures tour was in 1981 so it would fit. Absolutely no idea what model Marshall JCM-800 combo it could be, but I seem to recall reading that Alex was using combos at this time.

Emplexador

my favorite period, right after Moving Pictures. Rush had hit their stride. Those are Marshall 4140 combos. I still want one of those because of this album and that song. BTW, the solo on Limelight is Alex's favorite solo... he says so on the instruction video.

jwny72

Sure sounded dope, WTF-ever he was playing! They were at their very peak about then IMO.

jwny72

my favorite period, right after Moving Pictures. Rush had hit their stride. Those are Marshall 4140 combos. I still want one of those because of this album and that song. BTW, the solo on Limelight is Alex's favorite solo... he says so on the instruction video.
I did not know that. That's interesting, because it's always been my favorite of his as well. That and the solo in Free Will, which is also extraordinary.

adkteleman

Those are HiWatts. When they came to Rochester back on the tour and I got to meet Alex...he was gracious enough to show a kid his guitars and his rig...he won me for life that night!
ADK

mrface2112

BTW, the solo on Limelight is Alex's favorite solo... he says so on the instruction video.
He says something to that effect in the Contents Under Pressure book, too. He talks about it being the most rewarding solo to get right, b/c there's such a musicality to the feedback and overall feel and fluidity of the solo, and that it's his favorite one to play.

It's not that hard of a solo to play technically correct.....but to get it to feel right is something entirely different.

There's a LOT of emoting there. It's my favorite Lifeson solo too, and I was watching Big Al play it live right about this time last weekend. :D

cheers,
wade

sinasl1

He plays the crap outta that solo on the link, so great. Love the delay tailing over at the end. Ya, Marshall combos and Hiwatts too!

mrface2112

I just looked it up in the Moving Pictures tourbook, and Al's equipment list for the Moving Pictures tour there reads: "2 Marshall Combos, 2 Hiwatt 100's, 2 4x12 cabinets and 1 Leslie".

The 4104 looks right to me, and the Hiwatt 100 pretty much sums that part of it up.

cheers,
wade

Trending Topics

Top Bottom