What amps use Power Scaling?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, May 12, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So what amp makers are using this type of Master volume these days?

2. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Other than London Power? Reeves & Stephenson.

3. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

4. smilefan

smilefan Member

The Mavel Peal system is not a Power Scaling circuit.
    Its a completely different design, and does very
    different things. I've had both.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Simon Jarrett is making me a new Kingsley Deluxe 32 (2 x EL84s + 2 x 6V6s), with London Power Scaling built in. It's the first one he's done. I should have it next month some time.

6. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

smilefan...
    to quote kevin o'connor himself:

"The short truth about the comparison is that London Power's Power Scale control does the same thing as Maven Peal's Wattage control. London Power's Sustain control achieves the same sonic effect as Maven Peal's Sag control. Both controls on both product lines can be used in any combination."

http://www.londonpower.com/faq.htm
    http://www.londonpower.com/pssc.htm

EDIT: corrected a word misspelling.

7. Amit

Amit Member

Soultone Revolution45 is power scaled.
    I'm waiting for a PSbox for me old 50 watter...

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Mojave Amp Works
    Category 5 Amps
    MOD Amps

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

JMJ Amps (excellent AC30/4/6/TB style amps) offers power scaling as an option.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Dave, you're back! Are you just slumming with us gearheads or thinking about building a few excellent amps?

11. carltonh

carltonh Member

Part of the problem is that "power scaling" sounds like a generic term like PAF... when in legal terms I believe it is a copyrighted term to refer to the product of a specific company.

Pritchard has a similar Watts control, though most of these companies have a separate circuit design that works out similarly in practice. Since Watts and Wattage are simple measurements of power, hopefully no one will try to claim copyright over these terms.

12. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

anything new on the Cat 5 amps yet?

13. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Somebody emailed me, and said I might want to ring in on this one.

There's a lot of amplifier's that can be power scaled as an option (almost any tube amp could have it added, either by the builder or by the consumer) - but I don't think there's very many that are designed around power scaling. By power scaling I mean London Power's technology, not just any old wattage type control.

I found designing an amp around Power-Scaling was easier said than done. The tone and feel of a standard type of amplifier, like the JTM45, is changed dramatically by power scaling modifications. Even worse, as an add on, there's issues of heat that become questionable, not just for the modification, but for the other amplifier components. I have the same concerns for the voltages, which are changed, as well. Kevin O'Connor's external mod box, from an engineering perspective, is probably the best bed for modification or add-on as an afterthought for new builds, as being external it can easily by repaired.

Designing amps around power scaling from the ground up is the harder path - because it means you are recognizing that the fundamental characteristics of an amplifier are changed, and you must design the amp to be the closest possible tone and feel wise to an original unmodified design. Sound easy? Well, that wasn't my experience. Furthermore, a proper design should properly address the heat and voltage issues, including consumer safety.

All in all, I think anybody can "offer" Power-Scaling options (hopefully being licensed by Kevin/London Power to do so), but very few are delivering an amplifier that were designed as Power-Scaled versions.

I have something to add about other designs, namely the Maven Peal. That amps stands as a testament to what I am talking about - it is engineered around the concept of being a scalable amplifier, from the ground up, not as an after-thought. A well executed Power Scaled amp should be able to stand up to that same model.

I think we will see many builders implementing a form of Power-Scaling in the coming years - and I hope it will mean lots of good alternatives to the musicians. As for how many of those amps will stand the test of time, well, only time will tell! As for how many of that crop will actually meet consumer safety criteria, well we can only hope and pray that if not in actuality, as they should, that at least the builders thought it all out very carefully indeed.

Hats of to Kevin for making this a possibility. I only wish Maven Peal would consider doing the same!

My. 02,

Mickey C.

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I believe Stephenson amps fall into the category of being designed around power scaling.

FWIW, there is nothing to license from Kevin. He can speak for himself, but it seems he prefers to keep the information public domain where anybody can use it for their own benefit without prohibitive costs. Buying his books will help him make a living, and in return he offers a wealth of information.

-Ben

15. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

That's not exactly true. You can do anything with Power-Scaling you want for yourself, using his books, but he requests licensing Power Scaling for your commercial amplifiers.

His licensing is very easy - he's not a greedy guy - but it's real. Contact London Power for further clarification.

Mickey

16. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Depends on what you mean by "new."

;)

17. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Yes the term "Power Scaling" can be confusing to those like who (like myself) are technically challenged when it come to amps. As a user, all I care to know is how well it works and that it is designed and built well enough to stand up to the test of time. Being "User Friendly" is a real plus too! So far the Maven Peal Ganesha I have scores big on all three counts and, unless other amps pop up in the furture that can do what it does better, I don't ever see myself parting with that amp.

Another amp I have that I also dig a lot is the Mojave Peacemaker. They call their power control feature "Power Dampening" and it works really well too. I have no idea how it works technically and Mojave touts that it is not a "Master Volume". All I know is that it works and you can obtain "Power Tube Saturation" at lower wattage levels. It is not as versatile as the Ganesha, it has no effects loop and I can't easily bias my own tubes but damn it is extremely dynamic and delivers the "Brown Sound" in spades and i think the simplicity of its design has something to do with it.

Anyway, I have not tried any other amps that tout some form of power control or whatever but I feel fortunate that I have two that really deliver the goods.

18. yannis

yannis Member

My Matamp has power-scaling in it. It is valve driven in a sense and very simple to implement. I would never buy another valve amp without some sort of power-scaling technology, the idea simply rocks :)