What amps was he using here? Anyone know?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Matt117, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Hey I know this is bringing up the some history but I'd like to know if anyone knows what he's ACTUALLY using for an amp here. I know Keith Urban sounds like keith no matter what he's playing. BUT if you can tell slight differences between the amps. Yes his fingers play the same no matter what amp. But just curious because I love the sound of this video! What i've come down to thru watching various videos, reading vintage guitar interviews, is that he was running JCM800's at this show, maybe a jtm45, but have nobodies been able to connect the dots. This was back in the 2008/2009 time of the world, so does anybody have anything on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1uCzxd1vIk
    From his love pain and the whole crazy thing world tour dvd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN6UXbgvpk8&fmt=18

These clips were made by a fellow tgp'er buyusfear, hope some one can chime in!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Matt117

Matt117 Member

haha nice, i've now edited my post so that i will never make that mistake again :p

3. Phletch

Phletch Member

But in all fairness, to those of us who know him on a first name basis, he's "Keef". :D

4. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

That's not Keith - thats KEEF. Duh...

Keith Urban sounds like he's rocking a Marshall JCM 800 there - with maybe a touch of compression. i only say that because that is what my JCM800 sounds like when I use a touch of compression on it - and I do mean a touch. For all intents and purposes that sound lives in the Marshall JCM800 wheelhouse - and is not too hard to get with a good amp and guitar. Great tone there.

5. Matt117

Matt117 Member

That would be running in the overdrive channel with compression and probably an slight overdrive?

6. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Yeah - actually when you crank the volume and gain up 2/3 the way on the high input side of these amps you need very little additional overdrive or compression at all. That is -- assuming the amp is tubed up and tuned right - not always the case with these old war dogs. A vintage or RI whiteface rat pedal into a cranked marshall JCM is close to this sound as well. Most people can;t crank the amps past half way - and that is where the magic starts. So yeah an OD pedal or compressor is needed to play that amp and get this sound at modest levels.

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

8. Matt117

Matt117 Member

I know that he now (2014/2015) he uses the 59' high power twin with the dumble special overdrive as this video explains. But to me, the tone.. is not as good. I went and saw him early last year when little big town, dustin lynch were opening for him. His tone was just not as good as it use to be. It didn't cut as well as it use to, and sounded thinner. He had a couple royal alberts sitting on stage, none were lit up or plugged into.

9. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

When exactly did he get/start using the Dumble?

11. Matt117

Matt117 Member

From what I've gathered he bought his first one from john mayer after the flood in 2010 in Nashville. But it wasn't really his style as dumbles are each voiced for their original owner. Then he got another one end of 2013 an overdrive special.

12. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

A lot of good info here even on the older rigs - Wampler ego and the BB AC comp which he uses for Stupid Boy. go to about 25mins in and check the pedal drawer.

13. Matt117

Matt117 Member

You're referring to the two BB pre amp pedals? One has the mid boost and one just is just normal tho it is silver. mine is orange that i have.

14. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Yeah the BB AC Comp has that slight compression that I was talking about - a great pedal though I prefer the orange one myself. And that Ego Comp gets lots of use I'm sure.

15. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Yeah my ego comp is always one too lol. so what you're saying tho is that the silver bb is a bb ac comp?

16. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

sorry BB Preamp Mid.