What amps with the Celestion Classic Lead 80?

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
What amps are you using with the Celestion Classic Lead 80 and what type of music are you playing?

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I have one that I was using with a Carol-Ann OD2R head, which I sold. Of the rest of my amps, I'm wondering if it would be a good fit, but instead of swapping it in and out of all these amps I thought I'd check around first... I have a Germino Classic 45, a Germino Lead 35, a Carol-Ann 67-18C, Li'l Dawg D-Lux (5E3), Li'l Dawg ChocoPrince (6G2) and a Li'l Dawg WonderDawg (like a Blackface Deluxe).

Joern Venaas

Komet Ltd and Komet 60 basically. I think the classic leads are very diverse. Not much they won`t do well. They have lots of tone and less crunch than a lot of other Celestions. The UK made (not Chineese) CL80 are my favourite.

AA864

I have one in a Mesa Thiele cab (Mesa C90 = Classic 80). I used it with a Mesa Studio .22+. I play blues-Rock, loud and proud. It does great IMO and gives a good mix with the Combo open back cab.

HUh2roq.jpg

Jab_Guitar

I have one in a Mesa Thiele cab (Mesa C90 = Classic 80). I used it with a Mesa Studio .22+. I play blues-Rock, loud and proud. It does great IMO and gives a good mix with the Combo open back cab.

HUh2roq.jpg

C90 and Classic Lead 80 are different, not the same speaker. Always been a misconception for years. They are however both great speakers and I use both of them for different reasons.

mr zurkon

I have the previous generation Suhr Badger 18 and it's hooked up to the matching Badger 1x12 with a Veteran 30 and an Avatar traditional closed back 1x12 with a Lead 80. Running both cabs together is awesome, well-rounded, classic to hard rock tones. Comparing between the two stand-alone, I actually prefer the Avatar cab/speaker because it sounds more full bodied and not as mid-focused as the Suhr cab/speaker combo.

Jaji

I used the WGS version, British Lead (which I don't see on their site anymore), with my Mesa Electra Dyne and just loved the tone I got with that combination. It was the sound I heard in my head all my life. I had a pair in an open back cab and it was heavenly for the 80s-ish hard rock/metal we were doing at the time.

Vanyu

Not a CL80, but I have an old Marshall 4x12 with two G12-80's (I've been speaker swapping lately and said cab is currently down). I play anything from the 60's through the 80's, think anything from Cream and Zep to Sabbath, along with some hair metal. Amp is either a Marshall Super Lead, or a custom BF Bassman (think JTM45 mixed with Ampeg B-15 tone), depends on the target volume I'm shooting for.

These are fantastic speakers, sounds great with any amp I plug into them. I can't wait to get that cab back into service, hopefully with two more G12-80's! Or maybe mix them with V30's if I can't find any more original Rola 80's. When I got the cab they were in, the previous owner had actually had two original Marshall Jubilee V30's and the G12-80's in there, but here's the kicker.... The 80's were 16 ohm and the V30's were 8 ohm... Yes, this cab was wired for 10 ohms... Why??? Beats me. But there was a hand written note in the cab confirming it was indeed a 10 ohm cab.

Top Bottom