What are all the metal guys playing now?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CaprioM85, Nov 14, 2017.

1. CaprioM85

CaprioM85 Member

It’s “deathcore” as described by him. Not sure what to call it or comparing to. Little bit like Parkway Drive and the kids loves Rings of Saturn.

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

3. jcj

jcj Member

He means with a pedal.

protest likes this.
  4. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

Look into what bands he likes then look into what gear those bands have,
    people's taste in metal can be very very diverse.

The 5150 is a standard across the board, same as Rectifiers (dual/triple/single, people have their preferences) but beyond that some more modern styles even require digital solutions like the axefx or a helix in order to get precision and control (though i wouldn't relegate anyone to the digital realm right off the bat, it can be a bit of a nightmare for beginners).

5. protest

protest Member

An overdrive pedal, like a tubescreamer.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  6. protest

protest Member

I'm pretty sure that's a lot of 5150 variants. Since the other kid already has one I think a VHT Pittbull CL or Recto would be the way to go. Recto if it's on the chuggier side and because they're easier to find. VHT if it's more on the notey side of things and if he can wait to find one.

7. Darkness

Darkness Member

PRS Archon will do any metal. The clean channel is fantastic too. It stomps all over most other amps I’ve heard. Such a cool amp. Weird that a hi-gain amp can do country cleans. Another bonus is that the Archon is severely underrated by players ignorant of its superb quality, so you can find them very cheap used. Here in H-town a seller on CL is asking 725.00 for a 2016 Archon 25 with wicker grill and purple tolex. If I didn’t already have one I’d be all over it.

In Absentia likes this.
  8. bioniczero

bioniczero Member

For deathcore, Recto with a boost or the EVH 5150 III to complement the 6505. I did the EVH with a 6505 in a deathcoreish band a few years ago and it was perfect. The recto would do just as good of a job as well.

InAbsentia likes this.
  9. '57 Precision

'57 Precision Member

Anything loud and has a lot of distortion!!

5150 - or high gain amp that sounds good at any volume level.

10. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I would go D-120 and a decent 4-12. The big cabs are cheaper than 2-12's anymore!

In Absentia likes this.
  11. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

The metal guys around here use stacks of these.
    The Marshall head is a prop.
    [​IMG]

CJReaper likes this.
  12. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

A recto will easily hang with a 6505, if not surpass it.

In Absentia likes this.
  13. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

No one's mentioned it so I will:Laboga Mr. Hector.

14. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Supporting Member

Metal guy for over 35 years here, everything from hair metal to deathcore. pretty much any amp mentioned so far would be fine. Only one I don't have experience with is the PRS.

15. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

Used dual rectifier or 5150 II with a Marshall or orange cab with v30s, some kind of TS variant for a boost and a noise gate pedal. Done.

16. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

an Orange dual terror is a great metal amp. AND it sound really good doing other styles. I know in Canada these are about 750. That leaves you another 750 for a cab. Thats lots.
    Its a two channel 30watt amp that has a 15 and 7 watt select switch so you can doom and gloom at home quietly without Satan hearing you. Or mom n dad :) great amp

17. dirtyfunkg

dirtyfunkg Supporting Member

I'm taken aback that a high schooler gets a $1500 budget for an amp.

1. Go used.
    2. Versatility is important. He may love extreme metal now, but he may want to play lighter styles later.
    3. Strongly recommend a 2x12 or even a Thiele 1x12 instead of a 4x12. Easier to transport or take to college.

A Trem-O-Verb and a Mesa V30 2x12 would have been a dream for me in high school. Add an overdrive pedal and you can get as heavy as anything, but it also has a nice, sweet clean. You could probably score this type of rig for $1200 total.

18. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

Big fan of a 5150 + Dual Rectifier for metal bands. Especially deathcore. Many many moons ago I played with a couple guys in a metal shindig and my 5150 paired with the other guitarists dual recto was a fantastic sound, and they compliment one another very well.

ReddRanger likes this.
  19. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

EVH 5150III 50 watt would be my first pick.
    It weighs a bit less than a Recto or 5150 (good for longer term shoulder/lower back health) and most important it has the right voicing for this kind of music.
    They also don't require a boost even when you're tuned down as low as most deathcore bands typically do because they're very tight from the get go, which I feel is a big bonus.
    It also has a much nicer clean tone than any of the Peavey 5150/6505 series.

That being said, another 6505 in the band is a fine choice too.
    Dual Rectos are a bit more fiddly and not as easy to dial in as a 5150/6505. Great amps though

20. In Absentia

In Absentia Member

I have a VHT Deliverance 60 and it will eat that 6505 for breakfast. Buy used for around $700.

Darkness likes this.