what are alternatives to the eternity? need juicy high gain tone w/ single coils

re-animator

I didn't believe the hype on this pedal until i heard it... now I find myself cursed --- finding something I totally want, but just can't have. (I don't do wait lists or $300 OD pedals, sorry)

Well what are my alternatives?? need that singing, but still fat and juicy, dynamic tone that works as well with single coils as it does with humbuckers (its gotta work great with my tele). Not looking for a dumble pedal... more old-school mesa. Somewhere in between Santana, Eric Johnson, Neal Schon, Allan Holdsworth, etc. The first two are more important tones to me though. Gotta sound good with fender guitars and amps... what's out there??

missing_dave

something in the menatone family?? you can get a beefy ,smooth fairly high gain out of the blue collar...i also have an E and that part of your query can put these two in the same ballpark? its truly a great pedal giving you some control over the mids with the treble knob on the b collar. and they both have that low/mid girth..

jayn

Silver Supporting Member
Mojo Drive. Not the same, but in the ballpark and about half the money. Little to no waiting list....yet. It splits gigging time with my E (Roadhouse version).

re-animator

now that I think of it... this might be a two-pedal job (not stack). Both doing the juicy singing lead, but one being slightly smoother (EJ, Holdsworth) with more mids, and one being more rough around the edges - and more distorted (santana, schon).

I do have a voodoo lab sparkle drive that's relegated mostly to boost duty right now (I use it to boost my BoR for really over the top midrangey rhythm a la rory gallagher). I did use it as my dedicated "liquid lead" pedal for a while... like on
page_songInfo.cfm
track. As you can tell though, it suffers from all the downers of the original tube screamer design... almost unuseable in a band context at higher gain settings because the bass falls out and it just doesn't cut through.... perhaps keeley mods can rectify this?? I think his mods are pretty similar to the Xotic AC booster in that they make tube screamers more useable and more musical sounding with a bit more gain... any owners out there??

wow, i really like the BB preamp as well though.... unfortunately I think its too rude to be my "smooth" pedal, and too nice to do the early mesa tone. The barber stuff doesn't do it for me (not his products in general, just nothing sparking my interest for this purpose).

any clips of the mojo drive around?? can't find any anywhere.

the jetter stuff sounds a little too dumbley for me ..... not really into the recent santana tone.... i'm more of the Europa, Say it Again, Samba Pa Ti, tone fan. Reaction to the volume knob is VERY important to me.

EDIT: found mojo drive clips.... hello - search function.

sweetpea

Silver Supporting Member
Fuzz baby!!!

London Fuzz II:BEER

Really impressive with just the guitars volume knob and pick attack.

imguitardan

I would look into a Barber Direct Drive. I just ordered one (haven't got it yet) but it seems like it might be right up yr alley. You can find them for $85 used so it's a pretty good start. Good luck

guitbeef

MI Audio Tube Zone - not like an E in any way, but will do old school Mesa, and super thick sustained Sanatan tones as well.

+1. Had a 6-knob Tube Zone for a while and it worked great with my strat and tele. I only sold it because I just don't need that kind of tone right now on anything I'm doing.

Sol

If you havent already checked it out the 'Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive' is really worth a look at.
It does meet some of the criteria you've mentioned, and while it wasnt cheap, I consider it one of my best pedal 'discoverys' :)

Aruntang

Nothing really takes the place of the Eternity for me, but I do like the Xotic AC Booster a lot, especially now that it sounds more open and has more gain.

Wesman61

This thread is like My "Singing Lead Tone w/ Single Coils" thread. I'm coming to the conclusion that The Mojodrive is gonna be the "Pedal I'm buried with." I tried boosting it with a Bad Monkey and it has this huge, complex sound that way (as well as by itself). Do Yourself a favor and try one!

giggedy

I hate this, just when I say I'm not getting any more overdrives, then Sean does another deal. I'm going to pass as much as I don't want to. The E6 is the one I want too. I'm going to pass and wait for another inevitable sale. 199, that's so good though, doh!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom