what are good instrument cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanezshredder66, May 3, 2015.

1. ibanezshredder66

ibanezshredder66 Member

I just got a Engl Savage 120 and a Mesa 4x12. Also picked up a Armor Gold speaker cable now I need 2 instrument cables and a couple of the small cables for the pedals. I was looking a Lava ELC but I was told it didnt sound good. Also I have been looking at Armor Gold, Lava Soar and Mogami Platinum. So what would you recommend? I play mostly metal but a lot of other things too. lately tool opeth isis metallica stevie ray vaughn

2. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

I'm gonna recommend Evidence Audio. Though I've been using them for years and am a big fan. Check out their reviews. Check out their site. They make anything you need for your rig with high quality and insanely high level of customer service.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

There are tons of threads on this subject. Just use the search engine and look for "cable".

4. Bogner

Bogner Member

Break the bank and get the highest end Mogami's you can. They sound great and are very neutral.

5. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I love my divine noise ones, 2015 ones made of the rope type stuff.

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

My favorite has been my Vovox. That said, any of the well-liked cables here (Lava, Evidence Audio, etc) will do the job well. I'm picky about how a cable handles/feels, which is why I really like my Vovox. Sound-wise, there are subtle differences among these high-end cables, and you really have to try them out with your rig to decide.

I've got Evidence Audio cables on the way. We only recently got a dealer here.

7. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Where passive guitar pickups with guitar cables are concerned the tone is all down to the capacitance, the noise the shielding, and the reliability cable shielding, soldering quality, strain relief, signal wire type etc. all discussed here:

Best Guitar Cables Explained

Low output impedance instruments, other gear, and active pickups are not affected noticeably by the capacitance aspect.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marc, Director
    SHOOTOUT! Guitar Cables, UK

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Save some cash for pedals, and check out Death Valley Cable ;) Around $35 and the cable is very neutral sounding, no noticeable high or low roll off, and I've been using the same cables for 4 years now.

Evidence sounds ok (a tiny mid bump), but they only lasted 3 or 4 months then I'd have to replace them.

9. Coda11

Coda11 Member

Ok, this is the kind of subject that needs SCIENCE!

Shoutout guitar cables is an excellent website that explain all the issues of choosing good quality cables. I would recommend to use their cables (black powder is the best possible guitar cable you could possibly make today)

The most important value for buying good quality cables is capacitance per meter. You just need a cable with a low capacitance per meter value, which will prevent any treble loss.

Of course, the cable will need to be rugged to resist gigs.

You do not need gold plated contacts.

Here is my article about cables:
    http://www.coda-effects.com/2015/04/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about.html

10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

For cheap but quality cables I really like the Planet Waves American Stage cables.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Evidence stuff sounds very nice but any overly stiff cabling is a bad idea. They don't bend well, and if you use just a couple pedals and some stiff cabling you will lift the pedals off the ground.

I like the Armour Cable. I think these are the Naylor guys but am not positive.

12. tterry2

tterry2 Member

Divine Noise or Evidence Audio they are the best IMO

13. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I just picked up a Divine Noise 10' straight after my Bullet Cable gave up the ghost after 7 years.

14. iggs

iggs Member

Went through a lot of different and expensive booteek cables over the years ... differences were slight at best.

These are all I use right now: http://btpa.com/High-Definition/

Great price, custom made, order by foot and choose from a few different connectors.
    Great guys to deal with and they fulfill orders and ship quickly.

Don't waste your $$$ on minutiae of differences in sound of different cables, there are many other things that would and could improve your overall "tone" ... of course, it's your $$$ and you're free to do whatever you want with it ... I just wish I knew "then" what I know and hear now regarding cables.

15. 8len8

8len8 Member

Actually, some folks don't want the lowest capacitance cables. There are articles out there that discuss an optimal capacitance cable. In the end you'll need to make your own call about what sounds best to you.

16. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Indeed. We do discuss this on our site fairly comprehensively. The subjective 'optimal' capacitance is however total distributed capacitance (not any particular capacitance per metre/foot) and so dependent on cable length x capacitance per unit length, and then it's the preference with the particular pickups, pedals, amps used... so there is no fixed value that anyone can claim is objectively ideal. Players need to experiment as you say.

Unfortunately some cable assemblers market cables of significantly different lengths and capacitance as being 'optimal' (or whatever words they like to use for marketing) which is of course bonkers, plus capacitances are rarely listed for premades which is unhelpful.

However we favour low capacitance for the extra versatility provided (i.e. use of tone control, high cap cable in a loop if wanted, longer cable runs for use at both home/studio and stage for consistent tone) since once a higher total cap cable has taken the high end down, it can't be added back and attempts to add noise, but if the high end is still there, it can still be taken down.

Hendrix, Santana... examples of high total cap cable users to get the peak resonant frequency down to a 'warmer' place. Coily cables are cool too!

Cheers,

Marc, Director
    SHOOTOUT! Guitar Cables, UK

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  17. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

I don't know about all that technical booyah, but I've been using Death Valley cables for years and am happier with these than anything else I've tried.