What are Keith Richards and Ron Wood using these days for pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by le_plastique, Jul 27, 2006.

1. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I love the Stones, I would think millions of other guitar dorks would like the Stones too, but I can't find a damned thing about their pedal boards on google. Just wondering if anyone has some info here.

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

Does Keith use pedals? I know he had a couple of MXR boxes (analog delay and Phase 100) in the 80's, but I don't really hear effects on his guitar onstage these days.

Ronnie's the one who will use the wah and such.

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Isn't Keith using a...... Captain "Coconut" :crazyguy

4. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Now that IS funny!

5. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

:dude :dude LOL!!!!:dude :dude

6. wombat66

wombat66 Member

that one has fallen out of favor with him

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I remember a thread a while back where somebody told Keiths guitar tech had bought Keith a DLS Echotap and Rotosim.

8. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

For all the years that Keith has played live the only Signature tone he has to himself is the Ampeg sound from the early 70's. After that, Boogies and now, whatever... Keith has all the licks for sure, but his tone is all volume knobbed at about 6-7.

What would a Keith effect box sound like?

BTW he is the reason I play guitar these days...

9. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

"What would a Keith effect box sound like?"

I would suggest the Lovetone Brown Source. The "keef in a box" hype of a few years back, still does it for me.

Late 60's-early 70's era Keith has inspired me from the moment I picked up my first tele.

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Correct ! and his tech also bought my TIP Third Hand :AOK

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I thought he was seen with a Fuzz Head :AOK

12. moodog

moodog Member

I hear a crappy fuzz face tone use in recent live versions of satisfaction. I think Ronny is the culprit. You would think that if they were going to use fuzz on just one song they would just use the real thing. It's always a disapointment...

13. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

As far as Im aware, doesn't Keith hate pedals? Not the tone, but the actual pedals... I dont recall him in recent years having anything on the floor. I know he has a tte, cause ive seen it on stage with him. Is there someone off stage switching effects for keith?

14. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

As I recall, I think the Fulltone site has a picture of his rig with a TTE along with some other stuff. I just can't make out what they are.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

When I took pictures for a university newspaper of a ZZ Top concert in Indianapolis, Gibbons had nothing on the floor, all of the (MANY) effects and everything were being controlled off stage or were pre-programmed, or some combination of the two... a MASSIVE task for his tech, I imagine... Love the Rev... Keef is awesome, too, wrote a lot of the book for R&R... Tii-yiy-yiy-yim, is on my side...

16. sandman

sandman Member

It'd be nice to see - if you can find it.

I remember pics of Keefs Voodoo Lounge tour rack.I'll post a scan when I dig 'em out.Some custom built Andy Topeka thing, EQs, some Sony half-rack sized things...The article said he was using a Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Fulltone site claims they're using the FD2 and '69 too. Ronnie's 'Can you hear me knocking' solo on Four Flicks DVD sounds like FD2 and 'crappy fuzz' could be the '69. Keith's tech(s) switch pedals on/off for him. You can easily spot that as his leads are noticeably louder/dirtier.

17. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The right side of the rack has one of those old Ibanez UE-405 multi effects units which I think had a Tube Screamer, Compressor, Eq and chorus. The TTE obviously, next to the TTE on the right looks like a Durham Sex Drive-could be a tech choice to try out and on the left there is a black/blue unit that appears to be some kind of Lexicon processor-perhaps for reverb. He does not have any footswitches on the floor so the tech staff must be doing the switching.

18. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

19. drspencer

drspencer Member

I've seen other pics of this pedal you're referring to. It has a slanted metal cover with a picture of martini glasses on it (it's not a Div.13 Lift).

Does anyone know the name of the pedal I'm describing?

Thanks