• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

what are some cheap and/or decent tele copies?

teamdelfano

are there any good tele copies that are cheap in the used market, because their name isn't "fender"? i like thinlines but am not set on one. im talking in the $250-350 range.

shark_bite

Just get a CV Tele. It's not even technically a "copy" AND it'll blow away anything else in that price range (not to mention some higher price ranges as well). There's also a Squier thinline available that I hear is pretty decent. I'd probably swap pickups, but the higher-end Squier stuff is definitely worth a look these days. They're doing something right.

chucke99

Look for a Fernandes tele, you can get them for less than $400 (I got mine for way less than $300) and they are fantastic:

Rick51

The indonesian Squier Standard Tele's are really good, cheap guitars. I got one of these new in 2002 for about $160.00 on a close out. Big frets, some like those, some don't. Workmanship and setup were right on as sold. I put in a set of used Fender OV pickups, a 4-way switch, and an Electrosocket jack. Total investment is about $250.00. The only thing it really needed was the pickups, you have your own preferences anyway.

Here's a link to one on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-S...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

teamdelfano

awesome....ill look at all the suggestions. i prefer the larger frets, like were on my g&l ASAT. i cant stand the spaghetti thin frets that were on an old MIM strat i had.

if i were to have my ideal setup, it would be to buy a banged up tele body and get a warmoth neck that's 24 3/4" scale.....

teamdelfano

cv tele looks awesome, but the squire vintage modified tele thinline looks good as well. the reason i like it is b/c it has the shorter scale and is thinline. however, it looks like it only has a rosewood fretboard and i want maple. :huh

teamdelfano

hmmm.....what about the xaviere series from guitarfetish?? they have a thinline with 2 p90s that looks pretty good.

guitarist58

Just get a CV Tele. It's not even technically a "copy" AND it'll blow away anything else in that price range (not to mention some higher price ranges as well). There's also a Squier thinline available that I hear is pretty decent. I'd probably swap pickups, but the higher-end Squier stuff is definitely worth a look these days. They're doing something right.
CV Tele and you're done.
+1,000! Ordered mine online--hadn't even played one. I was way more than pleasantly surprised :)

Boshizzle

Agile TC-630 - $249.95

Traditional / retro-styled 3 piece body made of a beautiful solid alder wood
Professional Grover tuners offer an 18-1 tuning ratio for ultra fine tuning
Maple neck and Maple fretboard (not rosewood as shown) with dot inlays and 22 frets
Standard T- style fixed bridge with 3 adjustable saddles
Passive volume/tone controls with classic blade three way selector switch
Two vintage style single coil pickupshelp create that classic sound
Pearloid pickguard
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 1/4"
Fingerboard radius: 254mm. Bridge plate dimensions are 3"W x 3 5/16"T
Overall length 40"
Width at the widest point: 13"
Actual Weight is only 9 lbs

Rondo Music - Agile TC-1200 - $499.99

Solid 3/8" New Hamshire Spalted Maple Top!
Made in USA Fender Texas Special Tele Pickups
Traditional / retro-styled body made of a beautiful Solid Ash
Professional Grover tuners offer an 18-1 tuning ratio for ultra fine tuning
Hard Rock Maple neck and figerboard with dot inlays and 22 frets
Wilkinson Saddle with String-tru-Body design
Passive volume/tone controls with classic blade three way selector switch
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 11/16"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/1"
U-Shape Fingerboard with fingerboard radius: 7.25"
Overall length 39"
Width at the widest point: 12 3/4"
Actual Weight is approx 8 lbs

Last edited:

stp0111

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Boshizzle,

I have a hankering for a Les Paul Special 55 with a wrap tailpiece. Do you find any problems with that over the tuneomatic style? I think I like the simplicity, but it's all theoretical as I've never played one. I've played a tuneomatic version and loved the feel of the guitar and the sound but thought I would look for the wrap tail version and now have started second guessing myself. Anyway, if you get a minute, would you pass me your thoughts?

thanking you in advance,

Stephen

jumpchamp

yamaha pacifica 102/402 etc - a bit different from the traditional tele body shape, but FANTASTIC necks. i found one at GC for under 100 a few years ago, refinished it, did the hot rod thing, and it's the only guitar i haven't messed with since then. love it!

imo the CV Tele is the ticket. its great out of the box but im a tinkerer so i made some changes/ heres mine w/ a barden bridge and keystone pickups

and even cheaper is the Rondo STL50. ive made a lot of improvements to it and even a paint job. it plays just ok out of the box. now it plays pretty damn good. i would say comparable to a MIM.

epluribus

Thought seriously about a Tele for some time, played the MIJs, MIMs, and Squiers...noticed that the only Tele that had that signature ringing resonance was the MIA type. None of the others did that unplugged. What's anybody's take on these other Tele's?

--Ray

Trending Topics