• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

What are some clean boost pedals?

yoshiii

Hello

What are some good clean boost pedals with full eq controls and without ?

I know you can take a overdrive pedal and turn down the gain and use it as a boost. I have the Boss SD-1, and the EHX Crayon.
What pedals would be better at clean boost other than the two I already have. Would a EP3 type pre amp pedal be good for that?

Neptical

EQ pedal.
Second this. MXR 10 Band EQ (also has Volume and Gain). Run that after your SD-1 and you'll have a lot of tonal variety. An EQ is such a great tool we all should have. I will always say it, it can save you LOTS of money.

Aceman893

Great question Yoshii

MXR Micro Amp = a simple classic
Keeley Katana = Modern equivalent

Also similar: BBE Boosta Grand, TC Rush, or the TC Sparc Mini and a number of "buffers" like the Wampler Buffer or the JHS Prestige

For just a little more...with Bass/EQ etc. there is

Xotic RC Booster: BAss, Treble, Volume and GAin (but not really an overdrive
TC Sparc full size with same setup

As mentioned, a 7/8/9/120 band EQ pedal is a Boost with a lot of frequency control!

Most compressors with a level can be used as a clean boot by setting any compression controls to minimum or pro.

My favorite clean boost is the Nose Mean Green Clean, followed by the MXR and Katana

Moderato

as for clean boost pedals with full control I'll suggest the Friedman Buxom Boost, absolutely the best in my book, you can get a lot from it, as a second choice but not so clean (its more a clean OD with choices) I'll suggest a look to the Friedman Golden Pearl

Hoodster

If you’ve already figured out that any good overdrive pedal can make a great boost with the gain turn down, then you have answered your own question. Just get another overdrive pedal and then your board’s versatility keeps multiplying.

RYAN1987M

Gold Supporting Member
Here's a thread listing multi-knob boosts, most often those extra knobs offer up some EQ control...

inuitdream

Durham Sex Drive. Right amount of boost and selectable compression to get that nice chewy-ness and balance the stiffness some clean boosts have. Need sparkly, power tube like saturation? Get this :)

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of great ones out there. I've owned and really liked the following:

Emerson Paramount - EQ - Still own this one - very transparent
Emerson Goldenface - EQ
Emerson Em-Drive - EQ
Xotic EP Booster - No EQ - Still own this one
JHS Series 3 Overdrive - EQ - Still own this one - very transparent
Fuchs Pure Gain - No EQ
Fulltone Fat Boost - EQ

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I myself have two truly excellent clean boost pedals on my board (SMS Doozy Boost and XTS Pegasus Boost). And I also have another pedal, already mentioned by someone else here, that while I personally don't deem it a true clean boost, certainly one could use it as such (Fulltone FD2 in Comp Cut mode).

I really like having the pair of boost as the beginning (the HubBub doesn't count - it's just a router) and end of my effects chain as each functions quite differently relative to the rest of the 'board.

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Silver Supporting Member
I like the TC Spark Booster for dirty tones, but it sounds good enough that I’d also recommend it for cleans, since it does that too apparently. This is the original 4-knob version, haven’t tried the mini

Trending Topics

Top Bottom