What are some good all valve dirt pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DrainBamage, Feb 1, 2012.

1. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Looking for a good all valve dirt pedal. Dosnt have to have a lot of gain. One tube, two, dosnt mater. Three knobs, five, dosnt matter. Price, dosnt matter. No starved plate pedal. Needs to be a high voltage pedal normal operating pedal. No diodes so no blackstar. The newer tube kings look nice. Just seeing whats out there and what you guys are using.

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

fryette s.a.s.

3. Hateandwar

Hateandwar Member

I know you said no blackstar , so I just wanted to say I own HT dual distortion pedal, I bought it 2nd hand. Within 8 months of constant use live and rehearsal, the pots became crackly, the footswitches became temperamental and sometimes It would cut out completely. I don't know if I got faulty one but I don't use it anymore.

I now use a Wampler Triple Wreck and couldn't be happier.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

A lot of people like the Kingsley Minstel, as well as a lot of other Kingsley pedals.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a friend that's looking at tracing the Fryette. It is running an EF86 at full voltage but does also have diodes clipping to ground, so I guess sort of a hybrid. My understanding is that many of the "tube pedals", even the ones using full voltages are still hybrid designs with some clipping coming from diodes. I've used:

SIB Varidrive: the newer version is more flexible, gain levels from clean boost to almost metal, 3 band EQ, quite quiet. It is a huge pedal... Tone favors Fender amps.

Siegmund: fairly low gain and generic sound to my ears.

Matchless Hotbox: actually turns a Fender into a Matchless, that great chime and high end bite. A killer sounding box.

Buddah: Marshall in a box. Doesn't respond a lot to tube changes so my guess is there's some diode clipping going on. These are pretty cheap, well worth finding...

Hughes and Kettner "Machine" 1/2 rack units: these are real, single ended amps running into a dummy load and then reamplified by a SS amp if you want. They do sound very amp like with variable amounts of gain and or clean sound depending on the model. Highly recommended and undervalued.

Mesa Vtwin: not very flexible, the amount of gain is really high, kind of noisy. Still, if you plug one of these into a stout tube power amp (like a Mesa 2:90) it sounds like a rectifier should.

6. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up a Jester and it is amazing. Definitely check out the Kingsley line.

7. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Thanks for all the great info folks!

8. Greaser

Greaser Member

+1 for the SIB Varidrive

9. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

Effectrode Tube Drive. Can't say enough about it.

10. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

11. Matthew John Bell

Matthew John Bell Member

+1 on the original Matchless Hot Box. It's basically the entire preamp section of a Matchless Amp.

12. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

The Soldano Supercharger sounded amazing. Too bad it was so noisy.
    I always wanted to try running a rack preamp into an old Marshall or 100 watt Bassman.

13. Buks

Buks Member

Vox AC4TV

Not a pedal, but can be had for similar price and has great tube overdrive.

14. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

+1 on the Fryette SAS...Very unique sounding pedal that can do boost, overdrive/distortion and fuzz...Guitar Center had them as part of their winter clearence sale last month (I got one in a sealed box for $119).

15. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

BK Butler Tube Driver

EHX

16. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Behringer makes a tube distortion pedal housed in a memory man style box that's really more like a tube fuzz. It's cool and weird - and cheap.