What are some goods books for an advancing guitarist?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by GuitarSoul24, Dec 13, 2005.

1. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

Hey guys, im new here. Here's my situation, I've been playing for nearly 2 years. And I remember when I used to practice hours on on end, I learned so much theory and songs. Major scales all over the neck, minor/maj/pentatonic/blues, minor, dorian. Chord construction, inversions, key signatures, etc.

For the past few months though my playing has been kind of stuck. I've mostly just been jamming, improvising, writing, occassionaly learning a song but overall I feel like im getting no where. Are there any books that you recommend that will help me learn new things, reasess and apply the things I already know, etc. I've also been wanting to get into reading music which I really don't know how to do. So a book for that would really help too. Thanks.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Hello, Two years really isn't a long time but if you really know what you say you do then your off to a good start. Here's some stuff I would recommend:

Scott Hendersons Melodic Phrasing or chord book, I can't remember the name but it deals with melodic minor chord forms

Mick Goodrick The Advancing Guitarist

Steve Khan Chord Khancepts (not a misspelling)

William Leavitt Berklee Melodic Rhythms

Gary Chaffee Rhythmic Patterns (it's a drumming book which deals with just about any time study you could ever imagine)

The Real Book Vol1

Arlen Roth Telemasters

Ted Greene Single Note Soloing Vol 1 and 2, Chord Chemistry

If you get through all of this over the next 20 years you'll be doing a damn good job.

3. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

Yes, I recently got Jack Zucker's book on sale (thanks Jack). :)
    It will keep me working for the next 2 or 3 years.

Another vote for Tomo's DVD. I remember reading how some people are going through the exercises and playing them at faster tempos. I'm still doing the first exercises and I'm actually playing slower (40-45 bpm). There's so much I need to unlearn after 20 years of playing :D
    Tomo's DVD can help you with FUNdamentals, proper technique, and in general help you become a more 'efficient' player (e.g., by keeping the fingers closer to the strings, not using unnecessary pressure, making chord changes smoothly, etc.).

There are many great books, CDs, and videos out there. What's your main focus now? How are you playing at the moment?

I know many people -and I'll include myself- who have played blues/pentatonic scales for years, and can sound very boring. Little details such as 1/4 step bends, combining scales, targeting notes, phrasing, etc., can make a HUGE difference in your blues playing.

Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar is also a great book that will help you with the physical aspects of your right and left-hand techniques.

There's a whole world of material out there...

4. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

Thanks guys. I'll definetely check out those books this weekend. And for the "Accelerate your guitar dvd" do they sell that at B and N? How is Rock Discipline by John Petrucci? I hear it a lot on other boards.

5. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

Here are a few books that helped me over the years...

1."Fusion" by Joe Diorio

2."The Complete Book of Guitar Improvisation" by Vincent Bredice

3."Elementary Training for Musicians" by Paul Hindemith

4."The Solo Lute Works of Johann Sebastian Bach" edited for guitar by Frank Koonce

5."Scales and Modes" by Vincent Bredice

6."Chord Chemistry" by Ted Green

7. "Intervallic Designs for Jazz Guitar" by Joe Diorio

8."Jazz Structures for the New Millennium" by Joe Diorio

Here are a few more books to check out.

1. "120 Daily Studies for the Right Hand" by Mauro Giuliani

2. "Artfull Arrpegios" by Don Mock

3. "Bop Duets" by Bugs Bower

4. Berklee Series Guitar "Classical Studies for Pick Style Guitar" by William Leavitt Vol. I II III

5."Two-Part Inventions for the Piano" by J.S.Bach

6. "Linear Expressions" by Pat Martino

7. "John Coltrane" by Lewis Porter

8. "Slominski Thesaurus of Scales", by Nicholas Slominski

9. "Omni Book" (alto sax solos of Charlie Parker)

10."Giant Steps" by Joe Diorio

6. fernmeister

fernmeister Member

there is a good new one out from berkleepress called jazz improvisation for guitar: a melodic approach, by garrison fewell.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Don Mock and Frank Gambale are particularly gifted in making difficult material easy to absorb. Their books and videos are excellent.

For ear training and copping licks get the amazing slow downer. You will more efficiently improve your soloing by deconstructing good solos note for note than by any other means

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Scott Henderson's two videos are great for putting it all together, and Scott also makes it easy. You'll just want to take pencil to paper and write down some of his methods. Definitely will spring-board your playing if you've already done the chordal and scale study. I always learn something different when I watch them, and often that's enough of a motivation.

9. Stranglehold

Stranglehold Member

Some may laugh but, I'm really liking "Shred guitar" by Paul Hanson. He teaches from the perspective of chord progressions and then shows some licks/phrases that go with them. Comes with a cd - the songs are actually kinda cool to listen to. Lots of theory in this book.

"the Fretboard workbook" by Musicians Institute is very good for theory but, are no playing examples in it. However, I thinks it's great to help visualize the fretboard.

"Blues you can use" by John Gannapes - although geared to blues there is alot of theory in this book that you could apply to any style. Also, comes with a cd -cool!

10. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I would suggest something in a somewhat different direction than most of the posts. I would say - besides all of the great general theory & playing videos and books mentioned - that you choose a style, genre, or player and immerse yourself in learning to play that. It doesn't matter what it is, but having an area of "applied" learning, to a real depth, would go far in your developement.

11. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

One problem with Hanson's book, IMHO, is the lack of structure and pedagogical approach. The theoretical explanations given for each song are rather brief, and the reader has to skip to the "other book" inside in order to learn more about theory. I'm enjoying the book and think it is a very useful tool, but it could be vastly improved just by giving it a better structure.

The "Blues you can use" books are more clearly structured and follow a more logical path.

12. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Mick Goodrick's "almanac of guitar voice leading" is great. I've been playing professionally on and off for over 20 years, have studied theory and compostion in college and this book is kicking my ass all over the place...in a good way. Highly recommend.

Caveat: it's not a method book.

13. Rig James

Rig James Member

Joe's Guitar Method is my current favorite its great for reading even if you don't have a guitar in hand.
    Another one of my favs is The Big Book of Jazz Guitar Improvisation by Mark Dziuba, a professor of jazz studies at New Paltz university.

I have tried so many books that I just put aside after the initial viewing.
    These two books can be read with a guitar and without a guitar in hand, where I feel like I am studying music theory and its applications not just reading scale fingerings or chord charts. These two books, to me, are like having someone there to explain in detail each area of study and they both cover alot of ground. Both give great suggestions for elaborating on the things they teach. Mark Dziuba's book comes with an Abersold-like CD to play along with.

A lot of good suggestions here in this thread!!

14. StevenA

StevenA Member

Anyone have or remember the book "Ten" from Musicians Institute published in the early '80s. Eddie VH, Don Mock, Robben Ford , and others all in one book. Probably impossible to get now but I have a copy.
    A tremendous book.

Steven

15. Yossi

Yossi Member

I found http://truefire.com/index2.html to be a very helpful site with a ton of material. I recently took advantage of their "fire sale" and walked away with over a half dozen DVDs of music that I'm interested in.
    They have a university that you can join and you are bound to progress.
    You won't have a choice.

Yossi