1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are some of your favorite Fender Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StudioRat320, Feb 17, 2009.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I've been mostly a Marshall/Vox type player for many years. I picked up a little Super Champ XD about a year ago that I love. (Changed the speaker and tubes) Now I want to buy a couple of (real) Fender amps.

I was at a local studio resently, www.asparagusmedia.com. They have this wonderful, mid sixies Bassman head that sounds amazing, enhancing my interest in Fender amps.

I'm thinking that I'd like to try a low watt, mid watt and high watt examples of some vintage Fender amps for various tones, playing situations.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

2. nnick

nnick Member

I also have been primarily a vox/marshall style amp guy for 15-20 years. I recently acquired a 1962 Fender Concert 4x10. Sounds great with single coils and humbuckers. Has a normal channel and a vibrato channel. Both channels are voiced slightly differently and the vibrato is wonderful. 40 watts 6l6

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I really like the blackface Fenders and have a Super Reverb, a Vibrolux and a Deluxe Reverb to cover the scenarios you described.

If money were no object I'd have a Tweed Bassman and a Tweed Deluxe as well, but since I'm not primarily a blues player the cost/performance ratio wouldn't make sense.

The blackface amps I have are great for Jazz, Funk, R&B and are fine for the occasional blues gig...that's how most of my time is spent recently.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

You hit the nail on the head - Blonde and BF Bassman heads are my personal favorites for what I like to do on guitar.

On the higher powered stuff - definetely check out a Showman or Twin. Blonde through BF era.

Lower powered stuff - Champs, Deluxes, Princetons - from any era - Tweed, Blonde/Brownface, or BF. All amazing amps.

Other mid power stuff - from the Tweed through BF era - Bandmasters, Super/Super Reverbs, Tremolux, Pro, etc - all great stuff.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of my 90's Blues Deville 4x10... great sounding amp. Very loud and very heavy though.

6. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Tweed Bassman
    Brownface Deluxe
    Blackface Super Reverb

7. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

8. valcoholic57

valcoholic57 Member

I'm definately a fan of the blondes....have a little more attitude than the blackfaces....althogh it all depends on the sound you're looking for....if you want a some growl...go tweed or blonde/brownface.....more sparkling fender cleans go blackface and some silverfaces are spot on as well....all up to style/taste.....can't go wrong with too many vintage fenders tho

9. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

My Champ II is the tits, hands down. I run it through a closed-back 1x12" loaded with a Reverend Alltone. That rig does everything I need it to, and sounds better recorded to boot!

10. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

late 60s super reverb is still priced affordably, and if restored correctly, is an AMAZING amplifier!

11. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've owned and gigged extensively with:

'64, '66, '66 and a '67 Super Reverbs
    '67 Vibrolux Reverb
    '59 Bassman
    '59 Champ (actually, never gigged with this one, but loved its coffee-table-tone)
    Late 60's blackface Bassman
    Early 60's blonde Bassman
    Early 70's silverface Bassman
    A couple '66 Princeton reverbs
    '65 Deluxe Reverb
    '70-'71 Deluxe Reverb
    '65 Twin Reverb
    '70 Twin Reverb
    '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
    Early 90's 2x12 Blues Deville
    A couple early 90's Blues Deluxes
    '65-'66 Pro Reverb
    And I'm sure a handful of other vintage Fender amps I just can't recall.

My favorite, hands down? One of a couple "NOS" tweed Blues Jr's that I upgraded the speaker to a G12H30.

Why? It is incredibly touch-sensitive and articulate like an old Deluxe (oh yea, 'had an old tweed Deluxe for a short time that couldn't keep pace with a loud drummer), but much fuller and dynamic; It has a smokey flavor that doesn't get lost or muddy; Plus it has great reverb, mic's up great in large venues, and KILLS in smaller rooms. Also, the G12H30 completely eliminates any boxiness caused by the small cabinet.

And the thing loves JJ 12AX7's and EL84's.

12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Fender amps I no longer own and miss...

SFPR - my first amp. But in the mid-1980s it wasn't "cool" and got traded for a cheap acoustic that broke. Feh.

Rivera-era Pro Reverb - Oh, that was a nice amp! Trade for a Roland JC, again seeking the coolness rather than LISTENING.

1968 Dual Showman - Still have this one, but it's currently blowed up and needs a complete overhaul. Was my gigging amp much of this year. Very loud and clean, yet reasonably forgiving. Takes pedals beautifully.

13. takakat

takakat Member

I had owned 59 Deluxe, 60 Pro, 64 Bandmaster, 65 Deluxe, 66 Deluxe Reverb, 66 Princeton Reverb, 67 Princeton, 67 Pro Reverb, 68 Twin Reverb, 74 Twin Reverb, and recent Cyber Champ and they are all great but my favorite are 74 Twin Reverb with master volume and Cyber Champ for versatility. I use two Cyber Champs for my gigs and 74 Twin Reverb for home studio. If you liked Super Champ XD Cyber Champ you will like Cyber Champ a lot and it is loud enough to gig. Check this site for Cyber Champ vs Super Champ XD http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Contents.aspx?Issue=11
    The guy wrote this article is a TGP member. He did not have an access to Cyber foot controller and it is a must to have pedal for Cyber Champ. My 74 Twin Reverb is a great amp with pedals and Cyber Champ does not need pedals except Cyber midi foot controller.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Tweed Deluxe
    Tweed Bassman
    Tweed Harvard
    Brown Deluxe
    Brown Super
    Blond Bandmaster
    Princeton Reverb
    Super Champ

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Dave I know you played through a Blues Deluxe for a while; what do you like better about the Blues Jr.?

Also, you said "One of a couple..." was one significantly better than the rest?

Thanks.

16. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Im still kicking myself in the ass for selling my Super Sonic!! Ive been thinking of buying another. I still want a Princeton also.
    Ive come to the conclusion that Im a Fender amp guy.

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I still play through the Blues Deluxe in larger venues without FOH sound, but the Blues Jr has more touch sensitivity at lower volumes.

What's incredibly cool is to use both at once at small-club volume. The Deluxe gives you a full, clean sound and the Jr cuts through nicely. They're made for each other, really.

18. MartinC

MartinC Member

During a recent amp search, I opted for a channel switching EL84 combo. Suited my needs better, and there's something about the harmonics and slightly hairy cleans that EL84s seem to produce that I love.

But, I almost went for a Super Reverb Reissue ... and I'd like to think that I'll spend sometime as an owner at some point in my life when I have space and money to spare for more than one amp. The cleans are just beautiful and the break up when the volume is turned up a bit is addictive.

19. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

I am very happy with my Billm Blues Jr., but have always lusted for a Bandmaster or Dual Showman.
    Just can't justify the cost.
    I would settle for a great PC Wallpaper pic of either, but can't seem to find a suitable one.
    Anyone have a great pic?

Keeth Lawrence
    Lake Arrowhead, CA

20. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

The Cyber Champ is very impressive sounding and would be a nice alternative to some other types of amps in the studio, but the Super Champ XD has Fender written all over it. Even with the stock speaker, which can get farty at higher volume settings.

I put a 30 watt, ceramic Fender USA speaker in mine and it made a HUGE tonal difference. If Fender used this speaker instead of the stock unit, this amp would be a giant killer, IMO.

Thanks for the link. It was cool.