• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

What are some of your favorite small amps for recording?

twoheadedboy

My favorites:
-70s Fender Vibro Champ
-Early USA Blues Jr.
-50s Gibson GA-5
-Garnet Herzog - 5 watt head based on a modded Champ circuit with a built- in load. You can run it as a regular amp, or you can use the load and run it into another amp, or direct for recording. I like to run it into an amp sim for recording.

slayerbear17

Must have been a fluke, but we had this Joyo Zombie ( modeled after a mesa ) mic'd up in the room to a 4X12 while tracking drums and it sounded huge, even at low volumes we were getting a crunch factor that no other amp could rival.

I got a Joyo VIVO in the pipe line hopefully soon.

nsureit

Old Guy...but not too old
Gold Supporting Member
For bass, it’s hard to beat the Phil Jones 100w Briefcase amp. It has both EQ and compression.

879E5291-B20E-4E95-B1CF-95E0CBFC0443.jpeg

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
A studio owner buddy of mine has this old 60's SS Vox Pacemaker. Turn the bass full off and it's the toughest sounding little son-of-a-gun you'd ever want for rhythm tones for folk/early/classic rock. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" kind of tones.

It's funny because if you turn the bass up where you might normally expect it to be, it's just a bloated mess.

marmalade cream

Supporting Member
My favorites:
-70s Fender Vibro Champ
-Early USA Blues Jr.
-50s Gibson GA-5
-Garnet Herzog - 5 watt head based on a modded Champ circuit with a built- in load. You can run it as a regular amp, or you can use the load and run it into another amp, or direct for recording. I like to run it into an amp sim for recording.
How do you like to use the GA-5? There's a late 50's one that popped up locally for a good price. Do they breakup in a cool way?

twoheadedboy

How do you like to use the GA-5? There's a late 50's one that popped up locally for a good price. Do they breakup in a cool way?
I owned one for a while and loved it. It broke up like a tweed Deluxe, but at a very low volume. Great recording amp. However, I can't speak for all GA-5s, because vintage amps can drift a lot over time if not maintained.

PAFF64

Platinum Supporting Member
I like a wet dry setup, and use a BillM modded Blues Jr (with a Cannibas Rex speaker), and a Goodsell Super 17 mkIV. The Goodsell handles the wet side. Sounds huge both live and in the studio. Both are miked with SM57s and I use a Royer as a room mike. If I was using just one amp, it would be the Goodsell.

natebernstein

I use:

BadCat CubIII 15w head/cab setup. Switchable preamps let you go from Marshall-y to Vox-y; plus an awesome master volume that gives nice crunchy/overdriven tones at lower volumes

Tyler JT-14 - Princeton Reverb clone w 12" speaker and mid switch/pot on the back

Tyler SC6 - 6-watt valco-type circuit, good for raw overdrive sounds at lower volumes

Fender Vibro-Champ EC - also good for OD at low volumes and a sweet built-in trem

Between these and the variety of guitars I have I can get pretty much any tone I need for the stuff I write/record.

Trending Topics