What are some pedals you think are under-rated / sleepers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Magnets And Melodies, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Felipe Martin

Felipe Martin Member

Boss SD-2,
    Boss MZ-2,
    Zoom 508 Delay,
    Morley Maverick Wah and
    Digitech Hardwire Delay.

2. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Way Huge Swollen Pickle - Recently, picked one of these up and it is complex.

There is a bit of info available on them but it is minimal.

I have it dialled in for a fuzz tone that is mild and boosting it with a Barbershop or a Barber Compact Gain Changer into an Archer Ikon to add mids.

I have an option to get an Empress Fuzz, and there is not a lot of info the these and would welcome any personal experiences.

YMMV

3. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

4. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

I love the Hermida Dover Drive and the Lovepedal 200lb, both fuzz-based and very musical.

5. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

Boss TR-2 , considering buying one again after stupidly selling my old one and replacing it with a fancy/overly complicated boutique trem.

Xotic AC Booster, was a big deal when it first came out but these days is largely overshadowed by "trendier" ODs. Still rips.

GeorgeNada likes this.
  6. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

The Xotic AC-RC is great. Somehow the Xotic AC, RC and BB pedals are not getting much love these days - no new models, I get it - and yet I see those quite often in use around town. The OZ Noy signature AC-RC model was a real surprise at rehearsal/gig volume, despite the many selected choices on my large pedalboard I stayed on the AC-RC most of the time.

Snottyboy and Swing42 like this.
  7. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    sanfi4u likes this.
  8. tozum

tozum Member

VOX Valvetone V-810

Laurence and MacGregor like this.
  9. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

I just pulled out my Ibanez Jet Driver last night (JD-9). If that thing had a little more drive on tap, it would be the perfect distortion for a clean amp. If you have a clean amp and want a medium-gain overdrive with a lot of mids, the JD-9 is what you need.

Johnny Moondog likes this.
  10. p.j.

p.j. Member

11. Steven

Steven Member

Mooer Blues Crab - great low gain overdrive
    Maxon SD-9 - yes its old and there is 1 billion other newer hypier pedals out there, but the SD-9 is perfect if you - like me - want a fat fuzzy higer gain overdrive with great dynamics/clean up. It sounds great with all of my guitars (strat/tele/LP/Tyler).

12. whateverdude

whateverdude Supporting Member

Doom In Analog Evil Gypsy (fOXX Tone Machine clone) with octave defeat switch and germanium or silicon option and a mids switch. This is my end all fuzz. The guy who makes them lives in Australia. I took a chance on Reverb and bought one because my Ronsound Stone Machine is MIA.

13. paulscape

paulscape Member

14. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

For me, definitely the Sonuus Voluum. Incredible pedal. All analog audio path, digital control with presets and MIDI. VCA based effect that can do almost any volume-related effect. Also, great wearless volume/expression pedal. What it can do:
    • Wearless volume pedal. Heel and toe values can be programmed to anything between silence and +40 dB (and can be stored in presets)
    • Clean boost, up to +40 dB.
    • Noise gate. Also programmable, so you can have presets with different treshholds for your low gain and high gain sounds.
    • Very flexible programmable VCA compressor. For my taste, optical and FET compressors can be a bit "cooler" sounding, colouring the sound in interesting ways; but still, the Sonuus compressor is so good that I don't need any other comp pedal on my board.
    • Extremely flexible programmable Tremolo. Different Waveforms like sine, triangle, trapez, square, saw up, saw down, random. Can sync to MIDI clock at various subdivisions/multipliers. Speed control via pedal is also possible, even envelope controlled speed and/or depth. Dual LFO mode lets you even create rhythmical patterns. Better and more flexible than e.g. the Empress Tremolo I had before. My Princeton's built-in Tube Tremolo still sounds a bit better, so I may prefer it in the studio; live, the Voluum is the only Tremolo I've been using in the past 15 months.
    • Limiter (I never use it)
    • Great built-in tuner
    • Can serve as a programmable MIDI expression pedal, too. Per preset, you can define MIDI channel, CC#, min and max values.
    Here, you can see mine in action:

Second place on my list would be the Line6 M5. Poor man’s H9, lots of decent (and some great) effects at a really low price. Covers all my pitch shifting needs (the only things it cannot do is polyphonic octaves like a POG, and adding more than one harmony), decent Flanger/Chorus/Vibrato/Phaser and Reverb sounds, I love the Auto Volume Echo and Tube Echo models.

Not Orange, JmpOne and Hofnarr like this.
  15. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

The Sonuus is amazing. Have you tried the Wahoo? Great pedal as well, and certainly underrated, or just overlooked.

16. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

For me a lot of non-boutique stuff.

MXR, Boss, etc. all make fantastic stuff.

Stock td, stock rat, dimarzio and duncan pickups.

17. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

Greer Moonshot seems to get lost in the ratings-shuffle, but will never get lost in a mix. What it does to any dirt later in the signal chain is intoxicating. Moonshot + Timmy is straight fire.

18. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Was thinking about getting both Voluum and Wahoo, since Sonuus had a great bundle price. But the facts that A. the combination of both would have taken up too much pedal board real estate, and B. Wahoo has MIDI only over USB kept me away from it. Instead, I got a ProStage Remote Wah Wah that I control from the Sonuus. May be replaced with a Chase Bliss Condor in the future.

19. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Most pedals by Greer and Barber. Big Bang for the buck and awesome pedals. They have a following but not the high-exposure flavor of the week thing.

warren3333 and Kevsonic like this.
  20. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Indeed.

If I were a cash strapped college student that lived off a 12pk of Natty Light every night.. the peppermint fuzz would indeed be my 12pk of Natty Light.