What are Teflon caps?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by toneman335, Sep 25, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Read some where that Teflon caps were preferred in a guitar amp. Supposedly the Teflon caps gave the amp more detail in the tone. The comparison was like regular TV as opposed to HD TV.
    Can someone comment on this claim? Also, what would be examples of Teflon caps as far as make and model?

2. Trout

Trout Member

Here is a site with most of the high end caps.

There are folder tabs at the bottom of the page set up by brand.
    They have teflon, as well as other film type.
    Also, Silver, gold and copper film,

I should put 4 of these in my 5E3 LOL
    ANOTE- 64076 0.1000/ 600V Silver Foil $202.40ea

Edit,

If teflon caps were " preferred in a guitar amp "
    All of the top amp builders would be already using them.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I don't know, but I'll bet they're slippery:D

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    that High Fi audiophile quality

They are used in applications where accurate sound reproduction is what you want.

EVEN Clean Guitar Amplifier Tone is highly distorted and dirty compared to Hi Fidelity Tube Amplifiers and Pre-Amplifiers.

My tube powered audio system is OTL (output transformerless) uses 24 tubes for each channel and uses teflon and paper in oil caps.

Even among teflon there are a huge amount of choices. Search Atmasphere Amplifiers

These component have no value in guitar amplifiers which can be described as Distortion Generators.

5. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Teflon caps have the lowest Dielectric Absorption (DA) of all the capacitor dielectrics (Aluminum Electrolytic, tantalum, polystyrene, mica, polypropylene, etc).

What does this mean? Well, DA is kind of like a memory effect. If you rapidly discharge a capacitor, it will go to zero volts briefly, and then will climb back up to some nominal level of charge depending on the dielectric absorption properties of the electrolytic. What does that mean to music signals passing through a cap....well, maybe a bit of smearing.

What does it mean for a guitar amp....nothing, we are trying to introduce distortion! FWIW, polyprop caps are damn close to teflon in terms of tone/and DA, and are way more affordable (plus you can get the Solen's in sizes that can replace even some electrolytics).

Cheers

Kris

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I feel your pain :D

7. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Can someone get me a tissue to wipe this drool off my lip? Nice pics![​IMG]

Mike

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I wouldn't want teflon caps in any guitar amp for fear that it would sound like my stereo.
    The closest I've come to using audiophile caps is Auricaps.I installed a set in a 5E3 and they sound great.But a 5E3 sounds great with mallory's,orange drops,paper in oils etc....Are they better? Hmmm....Don't know,but they are different.Detailed and transparent just like they claim.
    This latest 5E3 does sound particularly good.
    I bet the reason guitar amp builders don't use audiophile caps is the price.200.00 for ONE cap? I would never do that even drunk.:NUTS

9. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

I've built an amp using teflon caps (there's one paper-in-oil in the phase inverter). It was a conversion of a PA amp that I call the "Jazz Tank".

Some time ago I compared several coupling caps in the same amp and posted sound clips on my web site.
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/Ampersand.html

I found the PIOs to be louder with a different high end sound. The teflon caps were more refined, although they seemed to need more time to break in.

Most would agree that there's a difference between Orange Drops and Mallory Yellow caps. The teflon and PIO caps had similar differences ... subtle but some can tell.

Price appears to be the main issue.

Some places have PIO's at $10-$15 each, but Russian PIOs can be found on the bay for $1-2 each, which makes them very attractive.

10. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

Have you tried Ralphs OTL guitar amp? LINK HERE

11. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

Got any pics? :drool

12. oxydon

oxydon Member

Teflon is a widely used material for making heat-proof objects, a teflon condenser is a basically a condenser that can take more heat without to cook, .. but honnestly i am ignorant of it's tonal qualities (if there are any).