What are the advantages of Pre Rola doping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by groove machine, Dec 7, 2013.

1. groove machine

groove machine Member

I'm getting ready to order a Weber Ceramic Silver Bell and I'm kinda confused about the doping options.

From Weber's website: If you are going to bend/sustain notes in the area above the 10th fret on the high E string and at high volumes with heavy distortion, then you need the doping to help prevent ghost notes and cone cry that could result from the extreme cone vibrations. Othewise, I would get the speaker undoped.

I do bend/sustain notes in the area above the 10th fret on the high E string and at high volumes with heavy distortion so I know I'll need some doping but was curious as to what pre rola doping does and it's advantages/disadvantages.

Anyone here use a speaker (doesn't have to be a Weber) with pre rola doping?

2. Promit

Promit Member

Well the ever popular Scumbacks are pre-Rola everything. I suspect that since Weber did the original design work for Scumback way back when, the pre-Rola doping IS the Scumback doping. Which reminds me, that fedex man owes me a visit today...

3. Onioner

Onioner Member

Pre-Rola doping is their heaviest option. It has a bit of a muting effect and can tame brightness. Kinda makes the speaker more stable.

4. groove machine

groove machine Member

Thanks Promit and Onioner for your replies.

I just noticed the Weber Legacy comes standard with pre rola doping so it must be a good thing to have for high gain. High gain for me is late 70's, early to mid 80's gain.