what are the basics to get a good lead tone (a la Petrucci)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by timrocks311, Jan 28, 2015.

1. timrocks311

timrocks311 Member

This has been discussed I'm sure, so sorry for the newb question. What are the basics needed (pedals) to get a lead sound like Petrucci?

I essentially have no pedals. I have a couple in the closet that I never use. The only one useful for what I'm after might be by MXR custom comp. I think I still have my holy grail reverb too.

I've always just plugged straight into the amp because I've been more focused on improving my playing than the tone. But now I'm interested in get a few pedals to do the basics and get a really nice lead tone.

Can someone guide me please? Thanks.

2. JCJones

JCJones Member

Well, his basic tone comes from a Dual Rec and a Screamer, that might be tough to do with a Hot Cat. TC Electronics has put out a Petrucci pedal called 'Dreamscape', I have no idea how well that works. You might check his website and forum.

3. timrocks311

timrocks311 Member

thanks. i think his Dreamscape pedal is based more around his clean tone.

I should say, I'm not expecting to mimic Petrucci's actually tone. I'm just looking to get that type of lead tone. I don't know exactly what it is. I figure neck pickup, overdrive amp channel, some delay maybe, not sure what else.

I think delay is commonly used but I don't know at what type of settings.

4. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about pedals until you get an amp and guitar that will get you very close to what you want. I think it would be hard to get that kind of tone from the Hot Cat. Great amp but not really what you'd want in this case IMO.

Petrucci's rig is fairly complicated but yeah... neck pickup into a dual rec would be the starting point.

5. guitar21

guitar21 Member

Not sure if hes still doing it but for a long time john would use a dual delay around 460ms on one side and 600ms on the other side. He also use to do a very short and fast 7ms delay for rhythms to give a doubleing effect. Watch his latest toneprint video from tc electronic called mountain top. Flashback with that toneprint and jp's hands, skill, talent and beard will get you there. Good luck

6. JCJones

JCJones Member

Amp modelling pedal? The Tech 21 California thing was discontinued and was never very popular, but maybe someone else makes something like it.

7. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

AMT for pedal amp modeling

JOYO makes a California clone for around $25 if you can't find an original

8. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

John's lead tone comes from a Mark IIC+ (in the old days) which he replicates very nicely with his current Mark V rig. There's even a youtube video in which he demonstrates this.

His lead never really came form a dual rec although he did use dual recs or triple recs on Awake, IIRC.

24 fret guitar with trem and two humbuckers.

John switches between the neck and bridge humbucker on the fly when he solos depending on what type of tone and attack he is looking for and also tends to use Steve Morse's trick of neck HB when playing high up on the neck to fatten up the tone there.

. So, I'm not too familiar with the amp you have but I would say

1) set it as clean as possible (so you have a "clean slate" from which to build
    2) No reverb or modulation in the lead
    3) A clean delay (TC 2290 type delay - the TC Flashback can get you this)
    4) A pretty modern somewhat - but not totally - scooped overdrive with a fair amount of gain in the realm of Mesa Boogie Mark lead tones (the Barber Dirty Bomb can get you close but Mesa's own Throttle Box works too. The MB TB is supposed to nail triple rec tones but if EQ'd correctly you can get some Mark Series leads out of it too).

AMT used to make a pedal called the California Sound that got really close.

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

10. jimihendrix1117

jimihendrix1117 Member

A delay will make a big difference IMO. Good crunch channel. Good drive. Good delay. You should be in a ballpark.

11. jbird

jbird Member

12. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

I don't know about getting a petrucci tone specifically, but I found that high gain followed by delay and reverb gave me what I like to think of as as "THAT lead tone."

I wouldn't be surprised if you were to be similarly happy from that setup.

13. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Biceps. Lots of biceps.

14. reo73

reo73 Member

John's lead tone has always been (for the most part) from Mesa Mark series amps. Currently he is playing Mark Vs.

If I wanted a pedal to get me in the ballpark I would buy a Mesa Flux Drive for the main overdrive tone. I would also buy something like a Boss SD-1 or Digitech Bad Monkey to run before it to give it a little mid-hump boost & sizzle.

John usually adds a bit of of delay to his lead tone, usually with darker repeats. He actually has a lead tone 'toneprint' for the TC Flashback.

Also, a guitar with hotter humbucking pick-ups would be good.