1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best cheaper tube amps to practice mods on

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Frank Prince, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

without destroying vintage values?

Any ideas?

I have an old Fender Bronco, but I don't want to devalue it by swapping a bunch of parts in and out.

2. Enzo

Enzo Member

In my view old Traynor amps are great to fool with. They are sturdy, and there is plenty of room inside them

3. Euthymia

Euthymia Member

I'd go for the Epiphone Valve Junior. $110 out the door at Guitar Center, and you can start with these mods:

http://www.euthymia.org/DIY/VJMods.html

Comes with a pretty good speaker, nice enough cabinet, and lots of room in the chassis.

4. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Old PA amps are usually good for this. Too, occasionally you can dumpster dive (or find on FleaBay) tube audio amps from old tape recorders and film projectors that have decent iron and very low intrinsic value. Be wary of anything where the tube complement includes tubes starting with big numbers (like 35 or 50 followed by some alphabet soup) as many will need an isolation transformer to use safely.

5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Sorry for the spam reply, but why not try the Gilmore Jr Kit? Very mod friendly and inexpensive.

Best regards,

Rich

www.guytronix.com