What are the best, most tube-like tremolo pedals?

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys, I've been out of the pedal market for a few years and was wondering what are considered the best, warmest, most tube-like/amp-like tremolo pedals out there regardless of price?

In the past, my go-to was a Toneczar PowerGlide. Thanks!

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I'm really enjoying the Source Audio Vertigo right now, particularly the Bias mode. Not nearly as "mechanical" sounding as most trem pedals. As much as I hate using the word "organic", that's about all I can come up with.

petty1818

The tube trem on the Flint and the Diamond are the nicest ones I've heard.
I have to disagree with regards to the Flint. I have it on my board and use it because it sounds great in a live mix. However, it definitely lacks the natural tone of the Diamond or Fulltone terms. It's all subjective but the Flint isn't really on par with some of the analog pedals that I have tried.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned or played through a bunch of tremolo pedals (Empress, BYOC, Diamond, Duncan, Suhr, Rockett, Boss, Basic Audio) and the Diamond has a very lush tube amp-like quality to it that really sets it apart. Try one out.

The Basic Audio Throbby has a unique feel, as if the top and bottom of the sine wave are somewhat flattened, that makes it feel like there is more hang-time at the extremes. Very cool.

-bEn r.

Empros

I have to disagree with regards to the Flint. I have it on my board and use it because it sounds great in a live mix. However, it definitely lacks the natural tone of the Diamond or Fulltone terms. It's all subjective but the Flint isn't really on par with some of the analog pedals that I have tried.
Yea, the Flint's trems aren't very good.
They sound fine for being a dual, convenient pedal. But I found it to be incredibly dull sounding.

Diamond, Basic Audio Throbby, Fulltone.
Even the Boss TR2 does a great tube-trem sound IMO.

petty1818

They sound fine for being a dual, convenient pedal. But I found it to be incredibly dull sounding.

I need to give the Diamond a try again. My friend owns one so I haven't fully explored it. It seems to have everything that I would need. I love the supa trem but I wish it had tap tempo. The Source Audio trem was a bit of a let down, even though it's getting pretty high reviews.

deadlands

Kingsley Bard. It's actually a tube bias tremolo with a real tube running at high-voltage. Sounds every bit as good as any amp tremolo I've heard and better than any other pedal I've heard. The Bard replaced my Powerglide.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member

Opinions vary on the Flints trems quite a bit. Its not a popular opinion but my belief is that sometimes people dont think the Flint SHOULD sound better than an analog trem. lots of players think analog=warmth=tube like. In this case I just dont agree. I moved up to the Flint from the Boss TR-2 and I love the TR-2 but I dont think it sounds anywhere close to the sounds I get with the Flint. Different strokes though.

Empros

Opinions vary on the Flints trems quite a bit. Its not a popular opinion but my belief is that sometimes people dont think the Flint SHOULD sound better than an analog trem. lots of players think analog=warmth=tube like. In this case I just dont agree. I moved up to the Flint from the Boss TR-2 and I love the TR-2 but I dont think it sounds anywhere close to the sounds I get with the Flint. Different strokes though.
Well I don't really think anything... I had the Flint and the Diamond side by side and the Diamond just killed it. But I stuck with the Flint at the time because you get Reverb and trem in a small package.

Then I picked up a Basic Audio Throbby and the convenience of the Flint couldn't save it anymore.

I think the Flint is a good pedal. I see it's uses. If people like it - great! One of my favourite guitar players uses one and sounds great.

Trending Topics