What are the best of the Stone Temple Pilot albums?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jul 12, 2019.

1. adi

adi Member

2. prototype

prototype Member

Weiland the last great pure rock and roll frontman.

chrisjw5 and Moby Dick like this.
  3. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    And also Army of Anyone!! I saw them live and thought it could have been something worth continuing, even as a side project!

4. leshogan

leshogan Member

Only STP song I ever heard that was "great" (or memorable) is the video w/Glen Campbell doing Wichita Lineman.

5. monty

monty Member

Exactly my choices. Hard to pick 1, not a bad one in the bunch.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  6. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Can't see how an STP fan couldn't like Tiny Music...:dunno

...nevermind Big Bang Baby, Tumble in the Rough & Lady Picture Show.

7. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

None of TM sounded nearly as unique as the other four had, to me. I heard a band that had somehow run out of song ideas.

Temporarily.

It’s not exactly surprising that all of us hear different things in the same song. TM was too many songs that sounded half-written, or just didn’t have that STP spice.

Dr. Tweedbucket and MESA/BUDDA like this.
  8. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

My vote goes to Core.

Second spot to Purple.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  9. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Now I respectfully disagree. Tiny Music, to me, is probably their MOST unique album. I mean, what other band does that even sound like? Tripping Daisy is as close as I can think of, and they're still not that similar. It's so unique, it doesn't even sound like STP!

Now don't get me wrong, Tiny Music wasn't my favorite album by any means. And I really hated it when it first came out (but it did grow on me a bit). And I could total see the "half-written" thing, though to me I'd say it sounds crudely recorded (terrible guitar tones). But I just can't abide with the whole "not sounding unique" thing.

chrisjw5 and MESA/BUDDA like this.
  10. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

I'm with the majority: Purple and Core are the best. Those first two albums are on another level relative to the rest of their work.

11. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Purple
    Core
    No. 4
    Tiny Music

8nthatK and Dr. Tweedbucket like this.
  12. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

If it’s a desert island (with electricity) situation, I’d go with ‘thank you’, which gets you the hits, as well as a DVD that has some live performances, and includes the previously mentioned Glen Campbell number.

13. JeffK

JeffK Member

I'm a fan of all their stuff, as I think they are fantastic writers and arrangers, and I love a great deal of the guitar tones. Taste is so subjective and I don't know that it's too fruitful to try and "argue" about, but I'm a little surprised by the reaction here to the 3rd album.

Tiny...
    is the sounds of them branching out and evolving, IMO. I too was a little put-off by it when it first dropped, perhaps because in so many places it was unexpected compared to what I was used to on the first two albums. At times: jangly, jagged, moody or raucous. I don't hear anything that sounds like them running out of ideas. I hear them following their muse even though it meant in some songs branching away from their previous palette of sounds. Over time it grew to be my favorite over-all, and remains so to this day (though, again I'm a fan of it all and the margin between each album's appeal is thin for me).

TubeStack likes this.
  14. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I love them all up until the last one with Weiland. Probably Purple would be number one for me, but I listened to it too much.

15. plextasy

plextasy Member

Core is straight ahead, great hard rock and has some pretty fantastic and unique songs. Lyrically it's a bit immature though. The guitar tones are amazing. Super crunchy and unique to Dean. It's interesting to me that Core was very influential on decades of rock that would follow but somehow no one ever got close to emulating that tone. Kind of like Jerry Cantrell and AIC was in that era. Kretz is awesome and Robert's bass lines and songwriting (he wrote many of their best songs) are insane on pretty much all their stuff.

For me Purple is the best because almost every song is brilliant, the guitar tones are still there (although a bit "looser" and really showcase Dean's ability to craft and layer brilliant guitar parts. Scott hit it out of the park on this one too.

Tiny Music is equally important IMO. They went in a cool direction and separated themselves from the other bands they were lumped in with (sorry, they never sounded like Pearl Jam to begin with but I'm glad they changed their sound.) "Adhesive" is especially cool.

After that, I don't think they did anything great. No 4 and Shangri had their moments but I felt like they were trying to recapture the greatness of the first few albums and didn't quite get there. The comeback album was mostly a let down for me. It sounds like STP trying to be a Dylan/Aerosmith tribute act. It's unfortunate that the last thing they did with Scott was their worst work. The newer album with Jeff Gutt is a far better batch of songs, at least musically even if it's not as genuine. Also, STP side project Army Of Anyone with Richard Patrick on vocals is far better than anything since Shangri in my opinion. Talk Show is worth a listen as well.

16. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Purple is a masterpiece but all the other ones are great too.

17. rickboot

rickboot Supporting Member

Purple - diverse styles with lots of hits
    Core - their popular grunge debut, lots of hits
    Tiny - quirky, has Trippin on a Hole!

Or just get the Thank You compilation.

18. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

Purple and Tiny Music

TubeStack likes this.
  19. schmokes15

schmokes15 Member

Purple is probably their “best” album, but I find that I listen to shangri-la-di-da the most (despite the terrible name).

20. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

I went through the same progression. Now, it seems like the most creative and original of their albums to me. The rest sound very "90s" IMO. I remember an interview where DeLeo says he didn't use a single HB guitar on the album - kind of unique at the time for that genre. I can't listen to the others anymore, aside from a song here and there.

Steve73 likes this.