What are the best of the Stone Temple Pilot albums?

rickcard71

They are all great. I even like the last one with Scott, it doesn’t get a lot of respect but it is great. The new one is great also. I like two songs on the one with Chester also, I think the first two. But, for me it is Tiny Music, No4, Purple and the rest all get thrown in depending on my mood. The OP hound go to YouTube and listen to each in order. Shagrala, is very good, the first 4 to 6 songs are really good.

Great Shot Pilot

Supporting Member
Tiny Music for me, hands down. It’s the sound of a band that’s achieved huge commercial success making the scuzzier, artier album they always wanted to make. Scott was a very, very talented and versatile frontman, but he was at his best when he was channeling his glam/Bowie influences, and they are all over this record.

I’d argue their BEST songwriting is on this record. Lady Picture Show, Trippin on a Hole, Big Bang Baby, and some deeper cuts like Adhesive and And So I Know are all terrific.

I just wish they had pushed further in this direction - but Scott had a lot of issues in this time and when they returned several years later, it was the height of the Nu-Metal phase and I think they caught up with trying to put out a very heavy record to fit, the pretty forgettable “4,” which was mostly redeemed by “Sour Girl” and "Atlanta" which would have fit beautifully on Tiny Music.

Last edited:

Jason Calieri

Supporting Member
Let me just stir up a hornet’s nest here:

STP songwriting >>>>>>> Pearl Jam songwriting. Will die on this hill, so bring it if you want to argue.
After the first three PJ albums, certainly. Early PJ is great, though. But so different than STP. Tough to compare. That said, at this point I listen to STP waaay more than I listen to PJ. It’s much more fun.

USMarine75

Core... all else flows from that.

One of the seminal Seattle grunge albums of all time, along with every single album of AiC.

Great Shot Pilot

Supporting Member
After the first three PJ albums, certainly. Early PJ is great, though. But so different than STP. Tough to compare. That said, at this point I listen to STP waaay more than I listen to PJ. It’s much more fun.
You’re right about the fact that they are different bands, with different sounds. I raise the issue because there is still a very lazy dismissal by many of STP as a PJ knockoff that is the product of the media coverage when both bands broke. But pound for pound, STP is the better, more versatile band IMO.

Hoth

Silver Supporting Member
Core is a desert island disc for me. I love the latest remastered deluxe version with the demos and deep cuts.

Jason Calieri

Supporting Member
You’re right about the fact that they are different bands, with different sounds. I raise the issue because there is still a very lazy dismissal by many of STP as a PJ knockoff that is the product of the media coverage when both bands broke. But pound for pound, STP is the better, more versatile band IMO.
Yeah STP wasn’t taken as seriously as Nirvana, PJ, AIC, etc. when Core came out. Their songwriting is way underrated, especially post-Core. Outstanding, multi-faceted rock band.

ChazMania

Silver Supporting Member
I have likely listened to STP more than any other band in the last 6 years, I didn't really follow them in the 90's/00's. I'm in the minority here in that I put it this order:

1) Tiny Music and 4
2) Shangri La and self titled with Scott
3) Self titled with Jeff
4) Core and Purple (the heavy hits aren't my favorite of their tunes, I prefer the deeper cuts).

I must hear both Plush and Interstate Love Song on a regular basis. And I must play them both on guitar myself because they’re two of the best songs ever written on guitar (even if Robert helped to compose Dean’s parts which is supposedly true) if you ask me. Two of the greatest singles ever released by any band, period.

Neither are on Tiny Music.

Atlanta is also a really beautiful song from No. 4.

Trending Topics