What are the best of the Stone Temple Pilot albums?

speedyone

Supporting Member
People who claimed STP “sounded like every other grunge band,” or my personal favorite, “a Pearl Jam rip-off” are either absolutely deluded, or have probably only heard 3 different bands in their entire lives.

It reminds me of once when I was listening to a metal station on the radio. Type O Negative’s song “Everyone I Love Is Dead,” finished playing, then a caller said to the show’s host, “Yeah, that band sucks. The singer is trying WAY too hard to sound just like Godsmack!!”

I think my guffaw was heard across at least 5 states.

Or another time, the Beatles “Live and Let Die” got done playing on the radio, and a caller said, “That version SUCKS! Guns N Roses NEVER should have given that band permission to redo THEIR song!!”

Makes you just wanna tell those dumb kids to get off your lawn.....

;)

Great Shot Pilot

Supporting Member
Tiny Music for me, hands down. It’s the sound of a band that’s achieved huge commercial success making the scuzzier, artier album they always wanted to make. Scott was a very, very talented and versatile frontman, but he was at his best when he was channeling his glam/Bowie influences, and they are all over this record.

I’d argue their BEST songwriting is on this record. Lady Picture Show, Trippin on a Hole, Big Bang Baby, and some deeper cuts like Adhesive and And So I Know are all terrific.

I just wish they had pushed further in this direction - but Scott had a lot of issues in this time and when they returned several years later, it was the height of the Nu-Metal phase and I think they caught up with trying to put out a very heavy record to fit, the pretty forgettable “4,” which was mostly redeemed by “Sour Girl” and "Atlanta" which would have fit beautifully on Tiny Music.
Edited this because I forgot about "Atlanta" which is a terrific song too. And I also have to be the only dummy in America who didn't realize that song was about heroin, which caused me to go back and listen to it a couple of times.

Also,

Most of the folks posting here have probably seen this but...man.

Arewenotmen?

Tiny Music for me, by a landslide.
Then Purple, then Core.
I thought IV was ok, but it has been years since I've heard it. Perhaps I would like it more now. I haven't heard the rest.

schmokes15

He’s my favorite bass player ever. When I listen to STP, I find myself focusing in on his playing all the time. The perfect mix of a technical and musical/melodic player.
Just this morning, Church on Tuesday came up during my run. I found myself listening specifically to the bass. The guy is a monster.

billboy73

Tiny Music is by far my favorite, but I enjoy all of their albums, including the newest one with Jeff. I can remember buying Tiny Music when it first came out, and really loving it, even though it was really different. Middle school me shouldn't have liked a song like And So I Know, but I was drawn to it. Love every song on this record, and Seven Caged Tigers is probably my favorite STP song overall. I would say that Tiny Music and Purple both are perfect, not a track I skip on either.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Way more than you asked, but I love this band.

1. Purple
It highlights all of the strengths they showed on Core, but avoids some of the 'first time in a studio' issues on Core, where it's now somewhat clear that what came out isn't quite who they were becoming.

There's something good from every angle of STP on Purple; it's got the heady songs like Vasoline and Lounge Fly, the muscular stuff like Meatplow, Unglued, and Army Ants, and the big sprawlers like Big Empty, and Silvergun. Plus, Kitchenware and Candybars is just gorgeous, as is Still Remains. Interstate Love Song is one of the most perfect pop/rock songs ever written, and I'll fight over this.

2. Tiny Music
If you like Purple, Tiny Music is "Purple Part II: We're Comfortable Being A Little Weird". Big Bang Baby is Jumpin' Jack Flash on 'shrooms. Trippin' On A Hole is the best straight rock song they ever wrote and will make you want to run through a GD brick wall. Pop's Love Suicide and Tumble in the Rough are (loosely) Unglued and Army Ants if they were tossed down a flight of stairs while wearing a Bowie/Ziggy suit. And So I Know is Robert's tribute to Joao Gilberto with sweet, sweet, Dean phrasing. Adhesive, Ride the Cliche and Seven Caged Tigers are big, beautiful songs that you need to listen to on headphones to catch everything going on. And if you're a little stoned, they get even better. Scott has truly become himself as a lyricist. I like Tiny Music better than Purple, but I'd never recommend it as a first listen to people who know them only from the hits like Plush.

3. No. 4
It is the logical successor to Purple, but a little more (over?) muscular that's completely reflective of what they were going through at the time. Down, Heaven and Hot Rods, Pruno, and Church on Tuesday are a first-four that will kick you in the head. No Way Out is a brutal classic. The softer songs are lush with melodies that'll have you putting them on repeat. Glide is amazing. Sour Girl is as fresh today as it was 20 years ago. And once you know that the Spanish girl Scott sings about in Atlanta is heroin, and how she's "out of my life", he'll break your heart.

4. Core
It's a great album, but it's very of-the-90's. Plush is still amazing, but later live versions of Wicked Garden are less 2-dimensional. Dead and Bloated, Crackerman, and Piece of Pie are still concert staples, but they did better version of this type of song later in their careers.

The 2010 self-titled and Shangri-La-De-Da both have really good songs, but didn't get as fleshed out as the Big 4. Mash the best cuts together and you have a 3rd nearly-perfect album that stands with Tiny Music and Purple.

STP 2010: Between The Lines, Take A Load Off (love this one) and Dare If You Dare could have been Tiny Music Songs. Cinnamon is a shot at jangle pop. It's an uneven record

Shangri-La-De-Da is either great or awful without a lot of in-between. Days of the Week, Coma, Long Way Home and Hollywood Bitch are all really good. Everything else.... eh, they did them better before.

I can't address the 2018 album. It's good, but it's not fair to Jeff or the boys to compare it to (and yeah, I'll go there) one of the great catalogs of the rock era. I could write 10,000 words on STP.
Thanks man, that was a good review. I have Core in rotation as we speak and I'm amazed at how many great songs there are all the way through. I like the deeper cuts that I haven't heard on the radio. I have Purple and 4 cued up but not going to dig into them until I saturate Core a bit more.

Dr. Tweedbucket

I'll take STP over PJ ANY DAY ALL DAY! I can't stand PJ except for the first record.
Naw .... PJ is completely awesome but in another dimension.

See, I'm a 70s kid and so buried in classic rock forever. Now I'm finally understanding just how good the early 90s was! PJ, STP, some Nirvana ... it's all good. It's like a breath of really heavy duty air.

83stratman

Cool. I still can't stand PJ.

See, I'm a 70s kid and so buried in classic rock forever. Now I'm finally understanding just how good the early 90s was! PJ, STP, some Nirvana ... it's all good. It's like a breath of really heavy duty air.

Plaid Sabbath

Gold Supporting Member

Another 70s kid here. My answer to the original query of the thread is Purple, but Core is damn close.

To this day, my favorite concert of all time is STP at the UIC Pavilion in August of 1994. That was the tour for Purple. I can still see, feel and hear it like it was yesterday.

20 foot lava lamps flanking each side of the stage. House lights go down. Crowd cheers. Then, you hear a faint sound that begins to build. The band faded in, just like the studio recording with Vasoline. Weiland was wiggling around like a snake. Then the band pops in at full volume with that killer two note riff. That was the lift off. For the next two hours it was just a glorious rock and roll event.

The middle of the show featured an acoustic set. No wooden stools involved. They brought an entire living room, complete with couches, coffee table, lamps and rugs onto the stage. It felt like you were seeing the greatest garage band ever rehearsing in one of their parents' houses. Absolutely incredible.

I grew up with all of the great classic rock of the 60s and 70s but I was far too young to have seen Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Cream and Floyd at the height of their powers.

Fortunately, I was able to catch STP, Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden at pivotal points in their careers. (Jane's for the Nothing's Shocking and Ritual tours...Soundgarden for the Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger shows). However, that STP show was an amazing event. For this Gen-Xer, that was my Zeppelin '73 or Floyd '75 or Cream '68.

schmokes15

With all the love for Tiny Music, let’s not forget about the production. A good portion of the songs have the guitars hard-panned to one side. Very unique for the time, but really fits with the vibe. Always freaks me out a little when I’ve only got the left earbud in and Lady Picture Show comes on. Where are the guitars???

Dr. Tweedbucket

Another 70s kid here. My answer to the original query of the thread is Purple, but Core is damn close.
I popped Purple in after about 5 plays of Core and the first thing I noticed was how much better the production is. That makes a huge difference, but oddly other than being tighter in a sense, I don't think the songs are as good. I'm hoping they grow on me after a few more spins. I'd love to hear a remixed and mastered Core because that could be a killer album.

chrisjw5

I popped Purple in after about 5 plays of Core and the first thing I noticed was how much better the production is. That makes a huge difference, but oddly other than being tighter in a sense, I don't think the songs are as good. I'm hoping they grow on me after a few more spins. I'd love to hear a remixed and mastered Core because that could be a killer album.
There is a 25th anniversary Core remaster. Honestly, it's kind of brick-walled. It's a little clearer, but a lot louder.

Trending Topics