What are the best right angle MIDI plugs and where to get 'em?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ringemaster, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

Gonna wire up my board soon and have a number of MIDI plugs that need right angles. What are the best ones and where's the best place to get 'em pricewise? I'm in Socal.

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Mouser, Best-tronics.com and Redco.com sell Switchcraft and Neutrik MIDI right angle plugs. They are comparable in prices, I like that they also sell right angle plugs that can rotate for the proper orientation based on your board's wiring.

Since you're in SoCal, you might want to check out ToneMerchants. They can order them as well for you, as well as LA Sound Design.

3. BenTimages

BenTimages Member

You're always a fount/font of knowledge, jnepo1! Thanks again!! Thinking of ordering the Fishman TriplePlay MIDI, and hope to link it thru some other MIDI toys, such as the Whammy and Adrenalinn 3.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. teleclem

teleclem Member

I use the cheap Hosa one right now.. But I'd like to get the Bestronics, which lets you rotate the plug's orientation.

5. baggas

baggas Member

Anyone found any others?
    I've got some HOSA which are nice and low profile, and short, but which point the wrong way for my Timeline. I also have a Swamp midi cable, from Australia, which also points the wrong way.

Ideally I want a short (eg 3 feet) right angle cable where the pins are at the far end of the plug, not the end of the cable.

I have checked out that Best-tronics one and it is both far too long and far too expensive to ship to Australia. Would love any other ideas?

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Many of the molded MIDI cables are fixed angles, if not all. They are also in fixed lengths of 3 and 5 feet. The alternatives are actually to have them made to length. It's really a simple build once you have the parts and you can get them to the proper length you need.

Let me know if you need any help.