What are the best speaker deals on the market?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smilefan, Sep 25, 2006.

1. smilefan

smilefan Member

What, in your opinion, are the best speaker deals currently
    on the market? State their ideal applications as well so we know
    where best to use them (open-back,closed-back, w/Marshalls,
    w/Fenders, etc.).

Thanks for any replies.

2. Thames

Thames Member

Eminence Legend GB12.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

For a Pre-Rola Celestion application-all the applications,I prefer Southbay Ampworks Scumbacks...available in 10" and 12" all the different wattages and impedances...the tone of these speakers is unparalleled-you want the best?Buy these.

4. Thames

Thames Member

Oh... let me see.. do you really mean "best buy" or "best bang-for-buck" ??

If "Best Buy", there's definitely better than the GB12... :) but still a nice speaker. Scumbacks are the way to go, as well as Weber.

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Eminence Wizard is a great speaker and is very reasonably priced. Ben Fargen uses them in his Blackbirds as do several other manufacturers. It has a big, full bottom and great highs and mids.
    I'm using it in an open back 1x12 combo pushing it with 30 watts. I think they are rated at 75w. It handles as much bass and I can give it and does very well with all of my od and dist pedals.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Kendrick Blackframes - the 10" especially. Sounds excellent in BF Fenders - full, clear top end without any harshness and a tight bottom. Nice mid complexity too.

7. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I have found that Weber speakers offer the best quality and bang for the buck in most cases. If you like the old Jensens( for Fender) and don't care for the reissues, or the old Celestion Greenbacks ( for Marshall) but don't want to spend $220 or so for their Heritage series, buy the Weber versions. I have and I'm very happy with the way they sound and the $$$ I saved.

8. Rossl

Rossl Member

I like Webers. Ted will work with you to help you make the bset choice.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Love my Scumbacks!! I think they are an excellent deal for just top notch pre-Rola sound. Great clean, compress nice overall kicking sound.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I believe that Ted makes the Scumbacks for Southbay Ampworks...

11. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

Write an email to Ted Weber .

Ted Weber makes a wide array of affordable speakers for all possible tones and is very good at recommending a speaker just from a customer's desired tone described in an email .

He is very good about answering emails and has great speakers at affordable prices. His knowledge, personalized customer service, and products are an outstanding dollar for dollar value.

Someone mentioned Kendrick BlackFrame speakers . I use Kendrick speakers of the 1990s to brighten up dark sounding amps. The green frame and black frame were, and possibly still are, way too bright for my blackface Deluxe Reverb. Good speakers but must be matched to an appropriate amp. The Weber California 12 with paper dome sounds very good in the blackface Deluxe Reverb, as do other Weber speakers.