WHat are the best wiring sounds for 3 positions of a 4 wire Gibson humbucker?

muku

Silver Supporting Member

Hi, I need help. My old 200$ rotary switch is going out.

Just ordered some Gibson BB Pros to replace the Dragon 1's.

I need a 5 or 6 position switch. What is the best one to buy? Or a push pull pot?
No drilling wanted. Need to tap the single coils, of the Gibson BB Pro's, as well as the typical 3 humbucker positions.

Looking at the Stew Mac- 6 pos, Freeway Switch.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the BBs don't usually come with 4-wire, which means they won't split.

either way, if you do have splittable pickups, i vote going mccarty style; straight-up 3-way gibson toggle, then make the tone a push-pull that splits both 'buckers.

scott944

either way, if you do have splittable pickups, i vote going mccarty style; straight-up 3-way gibson toggle, then make the tone a push-pull that splits both 'buckers.
I'm doing this on my Standard 22 soon. Never have liked the 5 way.

muku

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks a lot. I am going to consider both recommendations: the 3 Gibson switch and the push pull / and the Free way switch.

The wiring / sounds of a Gibson standard LP (2012) is great. Of course it has 4 pots.
I want 3 sides to be basic full hum switching. The other 3 sides I would love single coil bridge and what about the other two?

Single coil / hum series?
Single coil / hum single series / parallel?
which one of these 4 makes the most useable phase Peter Green config?

SPROING!

I think the BB Pro is 4 wire.

walterw

I want 3 sides to be basic full hum switching.
then the 3-way gibson toggle is the ticket, you never had that with the rotary switch.
The other 3 sides I would love single coil bridge and what about the other two?...which one of these 4 makes the most useable phase Peter Green config?
none of them!

the phased peter green thing is full humbucking but with one pickup polarity reversed.

you could make the push-pull a polarity flip instead of a coil split (since the BBs won't coil-split anyway).

the only issue is that flipping a covered, single-conductor pickup makes all the exposed metal "hot" instead of grounded, so it makes a bunch of noise if you touch it, and kills all your signal if it touches anything grounded. you have to cover the wire braid inside the guitar so it doesn't touch anything grounded when you phase-reverse it.

(my LP is wired just this way, and i actually like it! i flip my covered bridge BB pickup, and i get the peter green thing in the middle, and as an added little goofy trick, if i push a string down to where it touches that pickup the sound shuts off like a tom morello killswitch!)

muku

Silver Supporting Member
Since 2012 the Pro's I am pretty sure are 4 wire. I have had 2 Gibson LP Standards. That's why i want the same PU's in my PRS.
So they are splittable.

But........ looking at this I am wondering if the single coil output is boosted by active components on the PC board and not just the passive Humbucker split?

I bought these but the e check has 2 more days to clear so I can possibly cancel the order. Bottom line I want warm, dark, lush sounding Alnico splittable humbuckers with the single coils as loud as the humbucker. Sheesh!
Here's an Ebay 2014 Gibson LP standard harness for 150$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-2014...152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a86adb20

Last edited:

walterw

Bottom line I want...splittable humbuckers with the single coils as loud as the humbucker.
and i want backrubs from olivia wilde, i ain't getting that either. you're gonna have the volume drop, that's the nature of series humbucking vs single coil.

gibson does a thing now where they don't split the coil all the way (by putting a resistor or cap between the splitting wire and ground), leaving in a little of the other coil; this makes the result darker, louder and less noisy, i.e., a little closer to the original 'bucker tone.

that harness would not be a bad deal, $75 each for two BBs (no use for the rest of it in your PRS). snip off the connectors and you have 4-wire BBs.

muku

Silver Supporting Member
" and i want backrubs from olivia wilde,

i ain't getting that either. you're gonna have the volume drop, that's the nature of series humbucking vs single coil.

gibson does a thing now where they don't split the coil all the way (by putting a resistor or cap between the splitting wire and ground), leaving in a little of the other coil; this makes the result darker, louder and less noisy, i.e., a little closer to the original 'bucker tone.

that harness would not be a bad deal, $75 each for two BBs (no use for the rest of it in your PRS). snip off the connectors and you have 4-wire BBs."

So that is the dilemma for me. I love the darker warmer PAF tone of these Gibson PU's yet they only have one pair of wires. There is a 4 conductor connector coming out of some BB Pro eBay pictures, but it seems that 90% of BB Pro's on the net are single pair output.
It is a mystery that you are kind of answering , borrowing the one row of coils but how come they all don't have 4 wires coming out? I bought one pair of 2012 BB Pros and the seller confirmed one pair out.

I can get Fralin UNBUCKER, and possibly Ton Anderson, H1 or H1+, but I think they will be a typical bright tone like EVH rock. Which is cool but I love the lush, warm Gibson tone of their splittable, BB Pro's.

Maybe Olivia could make this mystery seem insignificant?

Trending Topics