What are the Darkest and Warmest sounding 12" speakers for guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rod, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I have a RockyTop 45H old style Marshall JTM45 which has EL34's in it..Sounds great, but it will take your head off with any Weber/ Celestion type G12h30 or Greenback 12" Speaker, and I that's with an SG and LP with WCR Pickups!!! What would be the darkest/warmest 12" speaker I could use to warm things up, and get more of what I call that "In the Back" type of tone???? Eminence Cannibus Rex???any suggestions would be really helpful....thankx guys...rod

2. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Mebbe Weber Michigan or Thames with Beambocker. Love Webers...JR

Had great luck with Electro-Harmonix 6CA7's to warm up peaky EL34's.

3. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i'll +1 on the Weber Michigan AlNiCo. w/my Heritage Victory i crank the treble to compensate. beautiful, voluptuous sound. another guesstimate: Fane 12 AlNiCo.

:cool:

4. 1964

1964 Member

5. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    Are the Cannibis Rex's Eminences Warmest/Darkest Speaker?????

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I don't think so ... I think speakers like Swamp Things might be.. BUT I haven't tried Swamp Things nor do I need any more speakers.. Meanwhile, the Cannabis Rex's match BEAUTIFULLY with a JTM45.. I just have about a 1990 RI Jtm45 but retro/vintage modded by Don Butler and tweaked a slight bit by me, and I've never heard a better speaker than the Cannabis Rex's for it.. I use an old Naylor 2x12 openback typically with 2 Cannabis Rexs in it... The funny thing is that cabinet came with Naylors ... It was very directional and in your face middy.. I tried LOADS of Webers, Celestions and other speakers in there, and didn't like the cabinet. it looks great but just didn't sound great like my other cabs. I put in 1 Cannabis Rex and left the other hole open.. KICKED ASS (i.e. detuned cab) ... Then tried the 2 in there, also kicked ass. .It's a GREAT SOUND... I didn't like the cab with ANY of my other speakers... I've used the Cannabis Rex's with various Marshalls , Engls, Thd's, Demeters, my Orange, Hiwatt pre, etc,etc and they're great. Warm , smokey and balanced. They are NOT dark to me, just warm and smokey if that means anything. .The hi-end is just fine.

ERIC

p.s. I just copy/pasted this from an ebay ad , and I think it's from Eminence's webpage: It's hilarious to me to read advertising copy sometimes. (i.e. the country , jazz, classical reference!) I took classical piano lessons for 7 years, but I've never played country , the closest I could come to jazz is fusion , and I play modern alt-rock , hard rock , metal , heavy blues, etc. . I'm much more like Soundgarden meets Primus meets Stevie Salas meets Hendrix than any of those categories and they're about my favorite! SO it just goes to show ya :D

Clean and Full, with Lots of Body and Sparkle.
    Smokey Smooth with high-End Definition."

Instruments

Lead/Rhythm Guitar

Applications

Country, Jazz, Classical

8. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Tone Tubbies. The only way you can get darker and warmer is to throw a wet blanket over your cab. In fact the tone is pretty similar to my ear....

:D

Dan

9. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Weber Silver bell alnico and blue dog alnicos have always helped smooth out amps tending toward icepickiness for me, without having the blanket effect. (SPAM admittal - I am selling a cab with a couple of these in it ). But it's true - I used to have a Dr Z KT45 that was cool, but not pretty with any of the ceramic Celestions; it sounded perfect with the Weber alnicos.

10. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I would go with a combination of a Tone Tubby Alnico and a Ceramic TT. They make a cab called the "Bomb" which had this combo in it and it works great. I have one and I love it.

11. 1964

1964 Member

The Swamp Thang is a relatively bright speaker.

12. Roe

Roe Member

try brass sadlles on the plain string from stewmac - costs almost nothing.
    also weber silver bell and c1230-55 are good.

13. Roe

Roe Member

also: try weber beamblockers and a thick grill cloth

14. ericb

Thanks for that info.. I shouldn't have guessed that based on what I'd read that it was a dark speaker. My Cannabis Rex descriptions are based on LOTS of experience with them but I should know better than to hypothesize about gear based on copy!!! ERIC

15. ericb

Try a pillow and a mattress.. I thought he was asking about the Cannabis Rex and speakers?

ERIC

16. Reeek

Reeek Member

I've personally never used a darker or lower thumping speaker than the Eminence Legend V12

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I'll add my votes for the Weber Silver/Blue alnico combo...very fat and warm!

I also have an alnico Tone Tubby (paper cone)...dark & sweet.

Greg

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

I have a Cannabis Rex and a Legend V12. I think the Cannabis Rex might be even slightly darker. It is definitely good, but I think I'll sell mine and stick with my other speakers. If you do go with a Cannabis Rex in your amp, I'd recommend pairing it with a British speaker to keep some of the British sound. Maybe a V12 or G12-65, or Tone Tubby.