What are the differences between the carbon fiber guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Billy Moss, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I'm not comparing these 3 guitars, but rather the quality of the guitars.
    I just know of these 3 companies that make carbon guitars.
    If there are more let me know who they are.

McPherson Sable Carbon Guitar

[​IMG]

Composite Acoustics The Legacy Guitar

[​IMG]

Rainsong Black Ice Series Jumbo Guitar

[​IMG]

2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Don't forget Emerald guitars from Ireland:
    Sounds lovely, looks gorgeous.

RGB, dhd and Billy Moss like this.
  3. dhd

dhd Member

Folks at Emerald Guitars are open to customizing and are very easy to work with.
    The two Emerald guitars I own, the workmanship is flawless.
    A big plus for the Emerald X20 is it's unique offset sound hole,
    much of the sound is directed to the player which (IMHO) is a very pleasing experience.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Billy Moss likes this.
  4. MixG18

MixG18 Member

there are some carbon fiber guitar made from China as well, any good?

5. dhd

dhd Member

I was not aware there were some Carbon Fiber Acoustic guitars Made in China.
    Do you have more information about this ?

6. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

There is one other company worth mentioning: Blackbird.

I personally own and play two Rainsongs, a Shorty (discontinued model, OM body) and a new CH-WS1000NS (grand orchestra-sized body). The new CH (Concert Hybrid) series is a hell of a great value in the carbon fiber world, and the Rainsong unidirectional top is probably the most responsive carbon fiber on the market. The Black Ice series, from the OP, is really just a cosmetic series, no tonal difference from standard woven carbon fiber. They are visually quite striking, though.

7. feet

feet Supporting Member

this also exists now:

https://www.klosguitars.com

very curious but a super specialized guitar like that isn't in the budget. but to have one to fold into your checked luggage? that would be awesome.

they are cheaper on their recent kickstarter or whatever.

8. MixG18

MixG18 Member

I could be wrong, saw some traveling guitars at S. NAMM that seem to be carbon fiber that were made in China. will check them out again at W. NAMM in more detail.

dhd likes this.
  9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

regardless, having worked on my fair share of these, they can sound really good but do not get one that doesn't have an adjustable truss rod!

i've seen way too many supposedly "bulletproof" CF guitars (electric, acoustic and bass) with upbowed necks and no way to straighten them.

10. feet

feet Supporting Member

i want to like them but i haven't heard one that sounds as good, let alone better, than a good old-fashioned wooden guitar, in my opinion. it would be something of a begrudging purchase, mainly out of necessity. but yeah, some sound alright.

so what do you do when the neck is bowed and there isn't a truss rod? you dunk it in water and put some books on it? :p that is mildly concerning to note because, at least for me, the indestructibility is the only real selling point. i'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Adagietto likes this.
  11. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

The original Rainsong designs all had necks with no truss rod. Occasionally you hear about someone who had trouble, but there are a ton of those original models out there that are still rockin', and they've become a bit collectible due to their slim profile. The current neck options from Rainsong (and, I believe, most CF guitars) all include truss rods, although I can't really envision needing to use mine. I swapped new, medium-gauge strings onto my new Concert Hybrid (from light-gauge strings from the factory) and the neck didn't move perceptibly. Then again, it's better to have it and not need it, than vice versa...

12. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

I looked at a Rainsong to consider for purchase- it had no adjustable rod in neck:& it really needed one, the guitar sounded amazing but the neck had a rude under-bow in it & it badly needed streightning! Pitty!

13. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a CA Bluegrass Performer(?) and it was a very good sounding guitar. I believe they were made in Louisiana back then, not sure about today.

14. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

I'm "shopping' for a CF acoustic to use at our northern Wisconsin place, so I can leave it over the the winter. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an Emerald X20 but I'm still open.

15. ceyuh

ceyuh Gold Supporting Member

My winter "go to" guitar is a Composite Acoustics GX. All things considered, I'm happy with it. That is, it sounds good, but it's still Carbon Fiber, so it will never sound quite like a comparably priced wood guitar.

I liked the Composite Acoustic a lot more than the Rainsong models I've tried (which is the only other CF brand I've tried). Those Emeralds sure look interesting though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017