What are the differences between the Lovepedal Eternity and the Klon

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not looking for a which is better so much as I am curious if these two pedals are similar or different enough to warrant having both.

I have the basic understanding that the Eternity is akin to a Tubescreamer, but modified for more gain and a treble control (or a treble boost, not really sure) and a Klon is very open sounding (or transparent or whatever)

Obviously when I say Klon, I mean a clone of the circuit. I don't care so much about accuracy. I've played a few clones and narrowed my search down to the ones that I like the sound of.

My current setup is a Fender 68 CDR and a Gibson ES-339. I'll be using these for stacking into a Bluesbreaker pedal clone. I am looking at these because I am assuming that the mid range character will pair nicely with the bluesbreaker pedal.

Like I said, I'm mostly wondering how close these guys are in terms of tone and overall usage, not so much which one does everyone like more.

Anyone compared them?

MAGICboy

I'm not looking for a which is better so much as I am curious if these two pedals are similar or different enough to warrant having both.

I have the basic understanding that the Eternity is akin to a Tubescreamer, but modified for more gain and a treble control (or a treble boost, not really sure) and a Klon is very open sounding (or transparent or whatever)

Obviously when I say Klon, I mean a clone of the circuit. I don't care so much about accuracy. I've played a few clones and narrowed my search down to the ones that I like the sound of.

My current setup is a Fender 68 CDR and a Gibson ES-339. I'll be using these for stacking into a Bluesbreaker pedal clone. I am looking at these because I am assuming that the mid range character will pair nicely with the bluesbreaker pedal.

Like I said, I'm mostly wondering how close these guys are in terms of tone and overall usage, not so much which one does everyone like more.

Anyone compared them?
The klon is a beast of a unit.
Internally pumped to 18VDC
with a great buffer as well.

Eternity is a lot different sonically and internally.

The klon makes you feel like you have SRV fingers. Meaning it's a very muscular feel and tone.

The E has more sag and sounds like a good TS going into a great amp.

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
The klon is a beast of a unit.
Internally pumped to 18VDC
with a great buffer as well.

Eternity is a lot different sonically and internally.

The klon makes you feel like you have SRV fingers. Meaning it's a very muscular feel and tone.

The E has more sag and sounds like a good TS going into a great amp.

Cool thanks for the reply. I am guessing that the Eternity is better as a solo boost whereas the Klon circuit is more versatile? I've heard people use it as a clean boost, treble boost, eq, and even as a base OD. So, that sounds like it could be promising.

It's tough finding a good OD for a base tone IMO. I currently use a Bluesbreaker pedal clone and it is nice because it's not as midrange driven as a lot of pedals, but it doesn't have much gain or volume on tap and sometimes can be quite trebly

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Magicboy (Sean) builds 'em so I'm a little reluctant to jump in but...

Klon-excels as a clean boost (gain down, volume up), as you advance the drive some folks like the sound and others don't. It has a mid-hump that's not as extreme as a TS. It cleans up really well.

The Eternity (and the Kalamazoo derived from it) feels brighter and a little smoother to my ears, but still with a mid-hump.

If I were to try and divide things up I'd call the Klon a MUCH better Tubescreamer and the Eternity a much better Bluesbreaker.

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
Magicboy (Sean) builds 'em so I'm a little reluctant to jump in but...

Klon-excels as a clean boost (gain down, volume up), as you advance the drive some folks like the sound and others don't. It has a mid-hump that's not as extreme as a TS. It cleans up really well.

The Eternity (and the Kalamazoo derived from it) feels brighter and a little smoother to my ears, but still with a mid-hump.

If I were to try and divide things up I'd call the Klon a MUCH better Tubescreamer and the Eternity a much better Bluesbreaker.

Oh, well that clears things up a lot more. Thanks!

Eternity: Its a modified TS and there are tons of versions, my burst clone have less mid hump and more bass than a typical TS, a little more open too (but still compressed), smooth gain... more gainy than a stock TS too. Dont have input or output buffer so its a little picky with fx chain, great if its your only pedal in the chain, if you have more id put it just before a buffered pedal (then you have to set lower your glass knob in the E), will not sound as woody and nice as run just your guitar, eternity and amp but still good.

Klon: really nice as boost or always on fattener pedal... didnt like too much with the gain up, the soul food have an annoying upper mid hump IMO (other Klones sounded nicer and more natural)

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member

Anyone compared them?

yeah, they're very different beasts, as has already been described very well, here.

a question, meant sincerely..... i'm not baiting you:
why wouldn't you buy an actual klon, since the KTR is still available? is it just too pricey?

Stratobuc

Eternity: Its a modified TS and there are tons of versions, my burst clone have less mid hump and more bass than a typical TS, a little more open too (but still compressed), smooth gain... more gainy than a stock TS too. Dont have input or output buffer so its a little picky with fx chain, great if its your only pedal in the chain, if you have more id put it just before a buffered pedal (then you have to set lower your glass knob in the E), will not sound as woody and nice as run just your guitar, eternity and amp but still good.

Klon: really nice as boost or always on fattener pedal... didnt like too much with the gain up, the soul food have an annoying upper mid hump IMO (other Klones sounded nicer and more natural)
My Eternity Fuse handwired doesn't sound like any mudscreamer I've ever heard, thank goodness. I've tried other OD's, like the Archer Ikon, but always keep coming back to the Fuse. I've heard a lot of people say its just a version of a mudscreamer, and I don't hear that at all.

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
yeah, they're very different beasts, as has already been described very well, here.

a question, meant sincerely..... i'm not baiting you:
why wouldn't you buy an actual klon, since the KTR is still available? is it just too pricey?
Yea basically. I have seen them used for around $250 at the lowest and if I'm going to spend that much on a pedal, I would put back a little more and grab a Kingsley Harlot.

I was really just curious about where they stood next to each other. If the Eternity is a TS clone, I wonder how it is compared to a Keeley Red Dirt. Sadly, I've never seen an Eternity in person, so if I decided to buy one, it would be based in clips. I've played a Red Dirt and liked it. I'm just trying to make informed decisions before I spend more money.

Stratobuc

The handwired Eternity Fuse is VERY transparent - to my ear. I haven't played any of the other variants, of which there are quite a few. The statement that the Eternity is merely a cloned TS makes me wonder why they made so many versions of a simple circuit - if indeed it is but a clone of a TS. Whatever it is, its a good one, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a transparent OD that has a good range of gain.

The schematic seems indeed based on the TS808 minus the input and output buffers but it address what i didnt like of my old sparkle drive for example so as soon i plugged it i sold the SD: less mid hump, less low cut, more open... i supose there are many versions cause Lovepedal have been refined the circuit along the way (sym/asym clipping, more or less gain, tweaking the frecuencies etc), change the chip, some resistors and capacitors have a great impact in the final sound.

TD Moyer

Silver Supporting Member
One stays on my board for Eternity…the other visits every now and then but never stays.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Yea basically. I have seen them used for around $250 at the lowest and if I'm going to spend that much on a pedal, I would put back a little more and grab a Kingsley Harlot.
got it; thanks.

I've had both in the past and I think they are different enough to have both on the board. I had a silver Klon (yes, a real one that I wish I still had) and it's a great low gain thickener. I agree with others in that I'm not a fan of the circuit with the gain up as it adds too much midrange. The Eternity is a very good TS variant. You can stack them and get some pretty thick, punchy overdrive.

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
Okay thanks for all of the helpful info. The K-clones I've been looking at all have an added bass control, so I thought that the added bass would help my amp retain low end even as increase the gain.

To be honest, I don't really want y Overdrive to be completely transparent. I typically don't play loud enough for my amp to overdrive naturally. When I play at home or with a band my amp never really goes past 4 because it is quite loud and the places I play aren't really big. I know that when it comes to performing I may have to push it up a bit further, but I am not really using a pedal to push the input of an amp so much as I am looking to have a clean sound, then have something act like a second channel in the sense that it does sound like it "fits" with my clean tone, but can also have more color to it than a pedal that just sounds like I turned the amp up louder.

I am liking what I'm hearing about the Eternity. How does it do with chording? I don't play as much lead as I do chords.

I like using a klon circuit for either the clean boost, or a nice bright and clear low gain overdrive. My eternity burst sounds like a huge, thick, yet smooth overdrive. Love them both, love them together too!

KRosser

To my ears and playing feel, an Eternity and Klon are nothing alike, and neither feel like a TS

Personally, I prefer the Eternity - in particular, one I bought from them around 2005...I have no idea what all the other variants that came after sound like

Trending Topics